Now That Windows 8 Classic Support Is Ending Soon ...

Jody Thornton

I have a serious question here.  I posted this on the "Windows 8 Forums":

If I were to install Windows 8 Classic, install Classic Shell for a Start Menu, conceal all Metro stuff, and run as Administrator (so in other words, I'm only going to use explorer based stuff; no metro apps), would there be anything I'd be missing from Windows 8.1?  I know there's only IE 10, but I would be using Pale Moon anyway.

I only ask because my xw8200 workstation could support the x64 version of Windows 8, but not 8.1

Hey Jody,

NoelC would probably be the best person to answer your question.

[ But if you aren't using any Metro stuff at all, I would suggest sticking with Windows 7 + Classic Shell.  (Yes I know you posted on the Windows 8 forum and I'm not trying to start a fight. :)  Why conceal the Metro stuff when you can just use an OS that doesn't include it?  Also, many folks spend a lot of time and effort trying to make Windows 8.x look and act like Wiindows 7 anyway. )  I can't think of any missing capabilities in Windows 7 vs Windows 8 that can't be added with free or very, very cheap and probably better 3rd party alternatives.  But that's just my opinion. :) ]

It is interesting that your workstation supports Windows 8 and not Windows 8.1.  What was added in 8.1 that your workstation doesn't support?  Just curious.

Cheers and Regards

Hey Jody,

NoelC would probably be the best person to answer your question.

[ But if you aren't using any Metro stuff at all, I would suggest sticking with Windows 7 + Classic Shell.  (Yes I know you posted on the Windows 8 forum and I'm not trying to start a fight. :)  Why conceal the Metro stuff when you can just use an OS that doesn't include it?  Also, many folks spend a lot of time and effort trying to make Windows 8.x look and act like Wiindows 7 anyway. )  I can't think of any missing capabilities in Windows 7 vs Windows 8 that can't be added with free or very, very cheap and probably better 3rd party alternatives.  But that's just my opinion. :) ]

It is interesting that your workstation supports Windows 8 and not Windows 8.1.  What was added in 8.1 that your workstation doesn't support?  Just curious.

Cheers and Regards

Windows 8.1 has processor-specific demands like SSE2 and NX which aren't needed for 8 Classic.  So vanilla 8 will run on my system.  Regarding your comparison to 7, I think 8 runs better, faster and smoother than 7, and I like the somewhat flatter look.  So even if I want to just use Windows 8 the way I'd use Windows 7, I actually prefer the feel of the environment a tad better.  :)

Just a curiosity :)  Why would I use Classic Shell on Windows 7?

I was thinking about how NoelC is running Windows 8.1 in a "frozen" time state (with no new updates).  I figured that I would basically be in the same boat on Windows 8, and I would avoid all telemetry add-ons. 

Windows 8.1 has processor-specific demands like SSE2 and NX which aren't needed for 8 Classic.

Well, seemingly not according to the good MS guys:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/system-requirements

Windows 8

If you want to run Windows 8 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Windows 8.1

If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

The requirements are exactly the same.

Where did you gather this info about Windows 8 (no such thing as "Classic" exists) having different ones from 8.1?

jaclaz

Windows 8.1 x64 does indeed require a new CPU instruction. I don't know where Microsoft does notice that, but I found it on EightForums.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/33167-8-1-upgrades-says-wont-work-pentium-4-prescott-630-a-2.html

• Free internet TV content varies by geography, some content might require additional fees (Windows 8.1 Pro Pack and Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack only)
  • To install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, your processor needs to support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF
  • InstantGo works only with computers designed for Connected Standby

If your PC is currently running Windows 7 or Windows 8 you can check to see if it meets the requirements by running the Upgrade Assistant.

Pentium 4 630 HT is a 64-bit CPU, but it is not able to run Windows 8.1 x64. However, it does run Windows 8 x64.

Edited by Stefan43

Now I see :yes: thanks.  :)
Yes it's on the mentioned page (though in the seemingly "optional" part titled "Additional requirements to use certain features:"):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/system-requirements

To install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, your processor needs to support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF

Just for the record the reference to NX, PAE and SSE2 was already discussed here (and the topic seems like having more or less the same contents):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173884-windows-81-on-hp-z-series-workstations/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

That's what I was always told jaclaz.  Whatever the actual reason, the Windows 8 x64 DVD boots and starts setup.  The installation for Windows 8.1 doesn't.  No biggie.

I'm hoping NoelC will chime in with his opinion too.  Thanks guys.

:)

EDIT:  I was saying Windows 8 "Classic" to make certain I was distiguishing from 8.1  (I have seen the lack of clarity trip up people).  Penium Classic didn't exactly exist either, but I hate when people say "Pentium One"  ... lol, so I followed in the footsteps of those few that used it..  I saw many people back two decades ago use the term "Windows 95 Classic" to refer to its original non-SR2 release, when I knew in reality it was just Windows 95.   I just gave a psuedonym to Windows 8 for clarity.

Edited by JodyT

Just a curiosity :)  Why would I use Classic Shell on Windows 7?

Mainly because I prefer the "classic" start menu style that was good enough for Win2K, XP, and still meets my needs today. :) Classic Shell also has some easily accessible tweaks such as delay time adjustments etc to help make the Windows experience just right.  The tweaks are available without Classic Shell, of course, but Classic Shell makes them convenient to access and use.

It's fine that you have different preferences, by all means use what works for you. The ability to personalize the experience has always been the beauty of Windows, until MS lost their freaking mind.

Cheers and Regards

That's what I was always told jaclaz.  Whatever the actual reason, the Windows 8 x64 DVD boots and starts setup.  The installation for Windows 8.1 doesn't.  No biggie.

If you have time and opportunity, please run the latest CPU-Z on it, so that, on knowing for sure what CPU is inside, we may pursue the reason why 8.1 doesn't like it, even if just to satisfy our collective curiosity. 

If I were to install Windows 8 Classic, install Classic Shell for a Start Menu, conceal all Metro stuff, and run as Administrator (so in other words, I'm only going to use explorer based stuff; no metro apps), would there be anything I'd be missing from Windows 8.1? 

If it's important to you, Microsoft stops supporting Windows 8.0 four weeks from now.

--JorgeA

If it's important to you, Microsoft stops supporting Windows 8.0 four weeks from now.

--JorgeA

Well, this snippet is interesting:

Windows 8.1 does not change any hardware requirements compared with Windows 8 or Windows 7 and existing Windows Store apps will work with Windows 8.1.

Would it be possible that the good MS guys are wrong or lying? :w00t::ph34r:

;)

:lol:

jaclaz