svchost.exe CPU hogging

MrMaguire

I have a beef with Windows 7. On occasions I start up my laptop to find very slow performance. I then come to find that svchost.exe is hogging 80%+ of my CPU. Now, I'm using a 10 year old laptop with a Pentium M 2.13GHz, but... Windows 7 does perform well on this hardware when the CPU is fully available (especially since I have an SSD).

Killing svchost in Task Manager results in greatly reduced CPU usage, strange behaviour, and the process only starts itself again.

The solution to this CPU hogging at the moment is to just wait until it subsides. Of course, I have no idea when that will happen...

Any suggestions?

Edited by MrMaguire

Windows Update was running in the background. I'm actually installing updates now. svchost's CPU usage is around 2%, and TrustedInstaller.exe is now dominating.

I have Windows Update set to Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

I'm hoping that Microsoft will do something to alleviate this. 2/3/4 years ago, Windows Update on NT 6.x was more merciful than this.

Install this update "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265"it claims "This update addresses an issue in which system performance can be decreased during scans. This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory."

"KB3050265 fixes major memory leak in Windows"

Install this update "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265"it claims "This update addresses an issue in which system performance can be decreased during scans. This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory."

"KB3050265 fixes major memory leak in Windows"

Part of that update:

• General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

This is one of the updates they have piggy backed the telemetry spyware on. I would suggest he find another solution.