Windows10RTM vs NovUpdate that you won't get

submix8c

Thanks, Microsoft! According to this, you'll get the RTM ISO and then have to download another 3gb to get the November Update. Why? Is it boogered?

Yeah, we all just LOVE downloading TWICE! SMDH... :(

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3007406/windows-pcs/microsoft-yanks-windows-10-november-upgrade-from-download-site.html

Guess I got it just in time en_windows_10_pro_10586_x64.iso

I d/l one file 3.04gb and used it to clean install and I did stop and delete partitions and It went really fast.

It don't have an install.wim but rather a install.esd in sources and dvd is named ESD-ISO

I did try and plug my win 7 Oem key in but it wouldn't take it like they said it would so I went ahead and skipped

ver say Version 10.0.10586

Course we don't really know whats going on

I made my own ISO from the ESD, which I happened to get, but it really sucks that Microsoft isn't providing the ISO image to users directly.  It leaves folks who have had a failure of 10586 out in the cold for sure.

You're not missing much.  Excluding the Apps, which I will have nothing to do with, it's just like 10240 but broken in a few ways.

-Noel

Looks like they bring it back.

Microsoft reverses course, restores downloads of Windows 10 November Update

Last weekend, Microsoft suddenly pulled its online tool for downloading the latest Windows 10 installation files. Today, the company explained the seemingly minor bug responsible for the decision, and has now made the tool available again.

Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update. Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible - it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available today.

I need my boots for this...  ****, that smells bad.

So being called out on reverting peoples' settings resulted in their blocking an update then re-issuing it with a promise to restore settings real soon now...

That implies they HAVE a copy of the previous settings somewhere.

And really?  Only THOSE four settings?  Puhleeease, there were more than that.  There's not even a mention of the fact that all removed Apps are reinstalled, disabled services are re-enabled, disabled scheduled tasks are re-enabled, System Restore is turned off, or any of the other things people have seen and documented.

Everything any more seems like just a test to see how much people will put up with.  Only when lawyers hit them do they bend, and even then, just as little as possible.

We need to stop putting up with their crap, even a little bit of it!  If you're on Win 10, it's time to seriously consider reverting back to your prior OS and sending Microsoft the message that this s*** won't fly!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

No, the moment was not special, or even all that surprising for me.  I've never migrated ANY of my production systems to Win 10.  Just a test VM.  I installed 10 temporarily on hardware once just to verify that my VM-based comparative testing was true to testing on real hardware, and it was.  That machine is now permanently running 7.

But really, people, 100+ million have succumbed to the "upgrade".  Granted, out-of-the-box 8 wasn't really any better, but Microsoft trying to redefine "the new normal" to include what they want to do TO users (opposed to FOR) is simply going too far.

100+ million people need to demand their downgrade rights!

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update. Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible - it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available today.

I need my boots for this...  ****, that smells bad.

So being called out on reverting peoples' settings resulted in their blocking an update then re-issuing it with a promise to restore settings real soon now...

That implies they HAVE a copy of the previous settings somewhere.

And really?  Only THOSE four settings?  Puhleeease, there were more than that.  There's not even a mention of the fact that all removed Apps are reinstalled, disabled services are re-enabled, disabled scheduled tasks are re-enabled, System Restore is turned off, or any of the other things people have seen and documented.

Everything any more seems like just a test to see how much people will put up with.  Only when lawyers hit them do they bend, and even then, just as little as possible.

We need to stop putting up with their crap, even a little bit of it!  If you're on Win 10, it's time to seriously consider reverting back to your prior OS and sending Microsoft the message that this s*** won't fly!

-Noel

build 1511 was pulled due to an update contained therein that inadvertently caused privacy settings to be reset to default, allowing third parties access to the end user's personal information even if the end user had previously chosen to deny access.  I would encourage all to ensure they have a clear understanding of the facts prior to venting... venting about what exactly, I'm not sure.  Would you rather have had them leave it as it was and had your privacy settings reset without knowing they had been?  (It was also only pulled for a short period of time)

The vast majority of user issues with Windows 10 are due to the end user's environment, having nothing to do with Windows 10 itself.  Each is welcome to their own opinion and differing opinions should always be welcomed, however it doesn't help anyone when misinformation and hyperbole are given heavier weight than facts.

I've yet to come across a thread or post regarding: "...all removed Apps are re-installed, disabled services are re-enabled, disabled scheduled tasks are re-enabled, System Restore is turned off, or any of the other things people have seen and documented."  However, if you have, a likely cause could be from joining or removing oneself from the Insider's program (which performs a reinstall of Windows both times, by means of an in place upgrade), of which would reset certain things depending if they were part of files that were reinstalled.  Using a Microsoft account to sign in would alleviate many settings changes, since many custom settings are restored from OneDrive (provided you have syncing turned on, which it should be).

In regards to the... venting... for lack of a better word, no one's forcing anyone to upgrade to Windows 10.  If a person doesn't wish to utilize it, then don't... don't take the free upgrade, stick to Windows 7 until 2022 and then pay for a Windows 10 license.  If Windows 10 truly had all the problems described in this thread and others, they would be reproducible on any machine running it... but they're not.  I've been reading the same rhetoric for months, yet not once have I come across a thread about a critical bug a user claims is due to Windows 10 and been able to reproduce it... not once (with the exception of a minor bug preventing the installation of TCP/IP services - the same or similar bug popped up, and was subsequently fixed, prior to Windows' 10 RTM).

Obviously these users aren't making up the issues they're having, leaving the only probability being the issues are due to the user environment, not Windows 10 itself (environment is classified as the motherboard, anything physically attached to it, 3rd party drivers, and 3rd party software).  The bulk of all Windows 10 issues come down to three things... not clean installing, not following the proper steps if clean installed, and improper/incompatible drivers and software. 

Edited by jmonroe0914

I've yet to come across a thread or post regarding: "...all removed Apps are re-installed, disabled services are re-enabled, disabled scheduled tasks are re-enabled, System Restore is turned off, or any of the other things people have seen and documented."  However, if you have 

I don't post information I haven't personally experienced and verified myself.  The things I described happened to my system.  And not because of anything I've done wrong.  It's not venting and it's not made up when it actually happens.  It's FACT, pal.  You need to understand that you're conversing with people who may just know more than you do about Windows.

Don't look now but reinstalling and re-enabling cloud software that's been removed - e.g., OneDrive - that actively seeks to transfer your data to online servers is far more an attempt to breach privacy than "accidentally" reverting a few settings.

If you think Microsoft actually reverted those privacy settings by accident then you're deluded.  They know exactly what they're doing and they continually test the waters to see what they can get away with.  Their mission is to redefine what people will accept.  Your sig implies you're aware that social / peer pressure changes people's opinions, yet somehow you can't (or refuse to) see the reality of what's going on yourself.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I've yet to come across a thread or post regarding: "...all removed Apps are re-installed, disabled services are re-enabled, disabled scheduled tasks are re-enabled, System Restore is turned off, or any of the other things people have seen and documented."  However, if you have 

I don't post information I haven't personally experienced and verified myself.  The things I described happened to my system.  And not because of anything I've done wrong.  It's not venting and it's not made up when it actually happens.  It's FACT, pal.  You need to understand that you're conversing with people who may just know more than you do about Windows.

Don't look now but reinstalling and re-enabling cloud software that's been removed - e.g., OneDrive - that actively seeks to transfer your data to online servers is far more an attempt to breech privacy than "accidentally" reverting a few settings.

If you think Microsoft reverted those privacy settings by accident then you're quite possibly deluded.  They know exactly what they're doing and they continually test the waters to see what they can get away with.  Their mission is redefine what people will accept.  Your sig implies you're aware that social / peer pressure changes people's opinions, yet somehow you can't (or refuse to) see the reality of what's going on yourself.

-Noel

Instead of being rude and hostile, perhaps you could re-read my post

• I never stated the things you said didn't happen (in fact, I acknowledged they did...)
  • I never said end users did anything wrong (how you formulated this inference is most perplexing...)
    • It was you who stated "or any of the other things people have seen and documented" which is different than saying it happened to you.

It doesn't help anyone when an end user with a vendetta against something or some corporation rants about it in multiple posts... even more importantly, it does the direct opposite, thereby a disservice, to what you're intending for it to do.  It turns people off and causes them to dismiss what you've written, regardless of how relevant it may be, as that of a raving, ranting, cantankerous senior who's irritable about the slightest of changes and evolutions the world makes around them.

What opinion you, I, or any other user has about this simply doesn't matter and is of no consequence.  Microsoft blatantly stated, in an extremely specific statement, exactly why the update was pulled mere hours after being pushed to Windows Update.  There are plenty of sites that cater to nonsensical conspiracy theories... this is not one of them.   

Edited by jmonroe0914

Microsoft blatantly stated, in an extremely specific statement, exactly why the update was pulled mere hours after being pushed to Windows Update. 

Ah well, if they said that in an extremely specific statement, then it must be true, of course. :yes:

jaclaz

It doesn't help anyone when an end user with a vendetta against something or some corporation rants about it in multiple posts...

Right, that must be what motivates me.  It couldn't be actual experience, knowledge, or insight.

This site has, quite wonderfully, a large collection of people on whom BS doesn't work.  Adult people, and even young ones with uncommon sense.

I've been Microsoft's staunchest supporter throughout my near 40 year software engineering career.  Ask anyone around here - only a few short years ago I sounded a lot more like you, jmonroe, looking for the good.  Unfortunately, there isn't any to be found. 

I have Windows 10 running like a well-oiled machine and I'll wager I know how to do that as well as or better than you do.  Guess what?  By ANY objective or subjective measure it's STILL not better than - nor arguably even as good as - its predecessors, which I ALSO have running like well-oiled machines.

Stirring up trouble on forums can be fun, just try to stop accusing others, directly or indirectly, of being motivated by something other than reality.  Sometimes reality just bites.

-Noel

This site has, quite wonderfully, a large collection of people on whom BS doesn't work.  Adult people, and even young ones with uncommon sense.

BTW and OT :w00t::ph34r:, but JFYI, a recent study on the matter (though restricted to the pseudo-profound subset):

http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html

Actual .pdf (and the interesting "supplement") here:

http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.pdf

http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/supp.pdf

jaclaz

It doesn't help anyone when an end user with a vendetta against something or some corporation rants about it in multiple posts...

Right, that must be what motivates me.  It couldn't be actual experience, knowledge, or insight.

I've been Microsoft's staunchest supporter throughout my near 40 year software engineering career.  Ask anyone around here - only a few short years ago I sounded a lot more like you, jmonroe, looking for the good.  Unfortunately, there isn't any to be found. 

I have Windows 10 running like a well-oiled machine and I'll wager I know how to do that as well as or better than you do.  Guess what?  By ANY objective or subjective measure it's STILL not better than - nor arguably even as good as - its predecessors, which I ALSO have running like well-oiled machines.

Stirring up trouble on forums can be fun, just try to stop accusing others, directly or indirectly, of being motivated by something other than reality.  Sometimes reality just bites.

-Noel

I'm not sure what it is with you and hubris and hostility... I really would encourage you to read things with a different perspective than you have been.

Simply because someone shares information that shows your perspective and/or opinion is factually inaccurate or you're misinformed, is not a personal attack... which appears to be how you take anything that runs contrary to what you believe or write.

One can either entertain conspiratorial ideologies and believe Microsoft is out to personally get you, or one can look at the facts of a situation and go from there. The facts are b1511, prior to being pulled, inadvertently exposed the advertising id and other personal information to third parties (i.e. app devs), even though a user may have disabled that, and other, information from being shared. This was fixed within a short period of time and b1511 was again pushed to WU servers.

I ask again, would anyone rather they left it up and not informed users of the inadvertent privacy settings reset? My hunch is, you, and others, would be here ranting about that if it had occurred.

You appear to be under the impression this is a who's right contest... it isn't. I couldn't care less who is right and who is wrong, I simply care about facts over opinions and ensuring accurate information is discussed. I would hope that's how any person on this forum would view conversations, seeming as this forum caters to the intelligent (a compliment, not a criticism).

Edited by jmonroe0914