Windows 7 Resetbase backport

harkaz

Well, if I may, personally I don't like the approach at all.

It is perfectly fine to me that you would like to get a few bucks for your hard work. :)

It is true that until you produced that thingy no similar tool existed.

But what is the sense of putting it in such a way that it will "cease to exist" on the 30th June 2016? :unsure:

If we agree that by design you won't get anyway any more money (little as it might be) after June 30, 2016, why not re-release the thingy as unsupported freeware (or similar) keeping the Copyright and intellectual property?

It won't cost you a single cent more than what you will have already spent (in time, resources, hosting, support, whatever) until that date, and a few people which might actually *need* or *want* to use it might still be able to find it.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz I see your point. I have some ethical concerns about current Rebase users, however. It wouldn't make me look good if I gave Rebase for free right now,  when they've paid a few bucks for it just a few weeks ago. There are 3 and a half years till Windows 7 support ends.

On the other hand, you're right that a few people might be really interested in Rebase if they discover it within the following months. For these few potential buyers, I am sure a private arrangement regarding pricing/support/intended use of the program could be reached.

1 hour ago, harkaz said:

@jaclaz I see your point. I have some ethical concerns about current Rebase users, however. It wouldn't make me look good if I gave Rebase for free right now,  when they've paid a few bucks for it just a few weeks ago. There are 3 and a half years till Windows 7 support ends.

On the other hand, you're right that a few people might be really interested in Rebase if they discover it within the following months. For these few potential buyers, I am sure a private arrangement regarding pricing/support/intended use of the program could be reached.

Yep, that would be very fine, it would be an "on request" or "on demand", much better than "no, you can't have it anymore" :).

As a side note, and JFYI, I personally find that your ethical concern is however not something to worry much, it is what happens everyday with *any* product.

VERY early adopters/buyers of *any* product are likely to have some promotional discount (but may well receive an unfinished, buggy, or unpolished product) those coming after will receive the (mature) product at full price and those coming even after will get the same product at a discount (end of production, clearing of warehouse, rebates to remain competitive with competitors, reduced commerciability due to new versions/models etc.).

The key here is "time" or "when" and/or "amount of need".

If someone *really needs* to reduce a Windows 7 and needs it "now", he/she pays 10 bucks for the little nifty program, if he can postpone his/her *need* some weeks/months/years, likely the same program will be available at a discount, or at a fraction of the original selling price (or even eventually for free), it is something that happens and how it works more or less for most products, particularly in matters related to computing, think of RAM or USB sticks.

I don't think that your customers could be offended by this, in your case maybe it is just a matter of the very short timeframe.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

After applying the convenience rollup to a base SP1 image you will get the ability to run CheckSUR (System Update Readiness Tool) from inside DISM.

The command can only be used online and it is the following one:

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

You cannot execute this command offline (on an install.wim image file), if that's what you're talking about.

• 3 years later...