harkaz

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get this for 7SP1

in winre.wim - SxS folder is only 500 MB

and it contains only SP1 files (base)

so lets say your windows partition gets screwed and you shoot recovery

what ? it would only fix SP1 files ?

im bit too lost now...

winre should be full system reset, yet sxs is... well compare freaking 6+ GB vs 500 MB

You need to better understand how Windows recovery works.

The winre.wim winsxs is a folder for the recovery environment only.

It needs to be small, so that the recovery environment can be loaded in RAM.

The full OS is copied later to the hard drive from an image, the install.wim.

Inside the install.wim you'll find all the original sxs files required for recovery.

Install.wim is found in the Windows installation media (sources folder).

You need SP1-integrated installation media to repair a SP1 system. You will lose all installed updates and maybe programs/files after the repair.

• 4 weeks later...
A major update, rebase 1.1.30.0 is now available!

This must-have upgrade of rebase will be rolled out to existing users in a few hours.

What's new in Rebase 1.1:
  •   An ESSENTIAL upgrade of the cleanup algorithm. Fixes reliability issues with the old algorithm. Recommend rebuilding your images from scratch with the new rebase version. 
  •   Fixes all previously reported issues, including a glitch with offline servicing of updates: Now all updates are marked as permanent in any rebase usage scenario.
  •   A new feature: the ability to hide all previously installed updates.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, harkaz said:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Rebase will not be available for purchase after June 30, 2016.

Support for existing users will end as stated in the documentation.

But on wednesdays nights? (only when the moon is full, of course) :dubbio:

Anyway - not really important since the intended volatility of the tool (and of it's support, ending on 1st October 2016) - what you posted is titled documenation :w00t: (as opposed to documentation).

jaclaz

Well, the interest for the program has been kinda limited.

Probably the payment option was not appropriate but it was the best I could do at the moment.

Given the low interest, it was not worth waiting for any 'late-comers' that might purchase a license to use the program just before the end of support.

I always intended to stop availability just before end of support, it happended a bit earlier.

For those who got a copy of the Rebase tool, I hope I've lived up to your expectations in terms of support and programming quality.

When I created Rebase in December, no free tool existed that could provide the same functionality.

Usability of Rebase for the average user is, indeed, questionable. However, given there was no free tool that offered exactly the same quality of functionality I decided to distribute Rebase as shareware and measure its reception.

I guess that most users don't grasp these subtle but substantial differences that exist between Rebase and other tools that offer similar functionality. Even those who may understand, they certainly do not trust an amateur, third-party developer. Winsxs management can be a tricky issue, even for Microsoft themselves.

And of course, to put it in a more general sense, developing software may not be the best way to make money...

Edited by harkaz

2 hours ago, harkaz said:

And of course, to put it in a more general sense, developing software may not be the best way to make money...

That surely is a fact: people who'll gladly spend up to US$15 on an old Promise SATA add-on board won't part with US$11 for RLoew's SATA patch, a software-only solution for the same issue... for me, it's hard to understand why, but I've seen it happen so many times, I'm conviced it's a fact.