Windows 10 10240 to 10586 upgrade change reports

Tripredacus

I found that Windows 10 TH2 has a bug.

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 version 1511 November Update for x64-based Systems (KB3103688)
 Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 version 1511 November Update (KB3103688)
 Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Insider Preview October Update for x64-based Systems (KB3099406)
 Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Insider Preview October Update (KB3099406)
 Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Insider Preview October Update for x64-based Systems (KB3105216)
 Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Insider Preview October Update (KB3105216)
 Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Insider Preview September Update for x64-based Systems (KB3087040)
 Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Insider Preview September Update (KB3087040)  

The definitions fix flash player version to 18.0.0.203.

More Information (Japanese blog)

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1916779.html

Windows 10 TH1 is no problem !

I created the boot image using Windows Server 08 R2. Could that have anything to do with it?

FWIW the same dialog box showed up for me when I was installing 10586 over my borked Win10 system yesterday. Looked exactly the same as yours.

--JorgeA

may I ask, why the f*** people use this OS ?

I only run it in a VM to make sure I know it inside and out.  And as you're probably aware, I've not been too impressed by what I see.

I'm a reasonably knowledgeable computer geek.  Most folks probably don't have the experience or insights I have and I imagine they feel either they have to keep up with what Microsoft wants them to be doing or they'll fall out of date and ultimately end up in a "can't work" scenario.

How many people, for example, know enough to decide when (not to mention how) to stop allowing Windows Updates?  If you allow them to continue then Microsoft continues to load it's garbage into your older system and you end up with something that ultimately either doesn't work or practically morphs into Windows 10 anyway.  Not to mention that sooner or later most will get tripped up (or worn down) by the reappearing "Get Windows 10!" updates.

It takes all my skills and even then a little luck to continue to run my Windows 7 and 8.1 systems for the time being, instead of taking the "free upgrade to Windows 10" path.

When these truly become unmanageable - probably in 5 years or less - I'll probably switch to the Linux realm.

Change is inevitable.

-Noel

may I ask, why the f*** people use this OS ?

I echo pretty much everything @NoelC said in his reply... at a much lower level of expertise.  :)

Running Win10 basically to keep up with the latest outrages ideas Microsoft is pushing for Windows.

--JorgeA

"A lot of peaople..." *

* "Most people..."

These are called Consumers that swallow any swill that they have been hornswaggled into partaking in without fully investigating the side effects. One poor sucker on twitter has the sadz over WinX Upgrade and wants to revert back. He was informed that if lucky and hadn't waited too long / deleted his "uninstall" he could back out.

Never trust a snake oil salesman. You may be getting snake venom.

Booting the computer is not a task.

The operating system is there to facilitate tasks, not be one.

-Noel

The facilitation of 10240 to 10586 has been and still is a challenging task for my guest Windows 10 in VB 5.  I wonder if there has been a change in which some device drivers 10586 update has "black listed?"  10240 went through the "installing drivers, etc section" and completed the installation.  However, 10586 balks in that section and now says there are driver issues that didn't exist in 10240 and stops the ugrade.  I wonder why I don't get the option to "continue" so I can deal with drivers after the update completes?

Tasked with having fun with the Windows 10 merry-go-round.  My techieness is challenged by a simple(???) software upgrade.  Probably just techless, a slippery slope.  Well, it's winter so slippery slopes should be fun unless you're driving a vehicle or walking or updating.

Trouble upgrading a system that previously supported the OS is known in polite circles as...

Epic Failure

Unfortunately, I'm way past being polite about the dogs*** that Microsoft is trying to smear all over us.

-Noel

10240 to 10586:

I got the Activated Win 10 10240 to update to 10586 with one of the iso options, however the Activation was lost in the process?????  Got the message to buy a new key to Activate.  With VirtualBox Snapshot, I'll go back to Win 7 and try again using the 10586 iso or by now the Flagged update is probably 10586.  Glad I grew up on a farm so dogs*** is just a way of life.  Makes me long for the country life.  Oh, I live in the country so everything is OK.

Is there a way to know what the 10586 version/sub-version is that replaced the version that this thread is tracking?  Or does the "fixed" 10586 have the same issues being tracked?  I wonder if the 10586 iso that downloaded last week using the MediaCreationTool is the "fixed" 10586?  It destroyed(lost the activation) my activated Win 10 when it did the update?????

This page, near the bottom, gives a bit of insight as to the post 10586 patches...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3012221/microsoft-windows/mysterious-new-windows-10-version-1511-patch-kb-3122947-fails-to-install-with-error-0x80070643.html

Things seemed rational until after cumulative Update 4, KB3116908.

Last night I installed KB3122947 (which took doing what the above-linked article suggested to get done successfully), and lo and behold I'm still showing 10586.17.

Things are out of control to say the least.  I liked Woody's last line in that article.

-Noel