Windows 10 10240 to 10586 upgrade change reports

Tripredacus

This topic is to track thing that the Windows 10 10586 update has been changing when applied to previous Windows 10 versions.

Removes touchpad and printer drivers:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0fa60d9e-ad1c-4e5e-b25f-737d1ba23bb7/window-10-ver-1511-upgrade-overwrites-device-drivers-need-to-reinstall-again?forum=win10itprosetup

Resets file associations/default apps, re-enables Fast Startup:

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3sr2es/psa_warning_the_windows_10_fall_update_resets_all/

Resets privacy settings:

http://betanews.com/2015/11/14/has-windows-10-november-update-threshold-2-reset-your-privacy-settings-and-default-apps/

If you find any other changes like this, feel free to post them here.

My O&O ShutUp10 settings right after the "upgrade":

OO_1.png

OO_2.png

I had almost everything green before.  Only things not thrown to green were:  Windows Defender disabled, Access to local language for browsers disabled, and a couple of the Windows Update items.  All the rest, most notably membership in spynet, telemetry, and synchronization, were flipped to red by the "upgrade".

Also, all Apps were restored, even though I had removed / de-provisioned them every way I know how.  This included Cortana.

OneDrive was restored and re-enabled.

A large number of scheduled operations were restored in the Task Scheduler.

A bunch of services I had disabled were re-enabled.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

By the way, some ridiculous Microsoft employee named Aul eMailed a note claiming "This desktop update is packed with nearly 200 new capabilities".  I'm thinking he's counting each pixel.

Hello,

19449_spacer.gif

As you might have already heard, we just released a major Windows update to the world. This desktop update is packed with nearly 200 new capabilities, many of which were developed directly as a result of feedback from Insiders like you. Check out Terry Myerson's blog for more details — and thanks, as always, for your feedback.

19449_spacer.gif

On a related note, we recently unveiled a range of exciting new devices, all built to make the most of Windows 10. The Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, and the Band 2 are available in stores now and we’ve begun rolling out an update bringing Windows 10 to Xbox One. Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL will be available soon.* You can read more about the new Windows 10 devices here.

19449_spacer.gif

Tips & Tricks

19449_spacer.gif

• A reminder that Office 2016 preview downloads will begin to expire this month (documents on the preview will be limited to read-only access). It’s recommended that you install the Office 2016 release or re-install your previous Office version. Office 365 Home or Personal customers can install Office 2016 from the My Account page.

19449_spacer.gif

Info for IT Pros

19449_spacer.gif

• Azure Active Directory Join is a new functionality in Windows 10 that allows you to join an enterprise or work owned Windows 10 device to your Azure AD tenancy in the cloud. Learn more about the Directory.

19449_spacer.gif

Info for Developers

19449_spacer.gif

• Get the Microsoft HoloLens Development Edition. The first Microsoft HoloLens devices will ship in the first quarter of 2016 to developers in the US and Canada. Help develop the future. Apply to be part of our developer community.

19449_spacer.gif

As always, we look forward to your feedback on the latest Insider Preview builds.

19449_spacer.gif

You can follow me on Twitter @gabeaul for breaking news on Windows Insider Previews. And for other updates on the Windows Insider Program, including special events, activities and other Insider benefits, follow us on Twitter @windowsinsider.

19449_spacer.gif

Thanks!

19449_spacer.gif

g

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well Gabe Aul referencing Terry Myerson is not like "news". :no:

BUT on the actual Terry Myerson blog there is a statement that sounds a bit (too much) bold:
http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/12/first-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/?OCID=WIP_r_Body_Blog_LatestPC

Experience improvements in this update include:

• Performance in everyday tasks, such as boot time now nearly 30% faster than Windows 7 on the same device.

Queer that you didn't notice such a dramatic speed improvement. :unsure:

jaclaz

Booting the computer is not a task.

The operating system is there to facilitate tasks, not be one.

Well, it greatly depends on the use of a computer.

My desktop is almost never booted or rebooted, as an example, and when for some reasons I switch it off, what I normally do next time/next day is to switch it on and go get a coffee while it boots (not that it is anyway slow, but in my use booting time is totally irrelevant).

Still my laptop is booted only "on demand" and when I use it I want to have it booted up quickly, in this case it becomes a task, and should it be slow booting it would be very annoying.

The statement by Terry Myerson, however, makes no sense anyway. :no:

The update is for Windows 10 so it might be of relevance the faster booting when compared to the previous Windows 10 version.

I mean, it is entirely possible :unsure: that 10240 was ALREADY(say) 29% faster than 7 on the same device :w00t:, which would leave less than 1% bettering for 10586 release (nothing to be actually worth a mention, let alone as first one of the three main points listed) and conversely, provided that any machine actually suited for Windows 7 or later normally boots (or should boot) in under a minute, it would mean *like* half a second in practice. :whistle:

jaclaz

Well of course, there's really not any substance being added to Windows 10.  That seemed pretty obvious already.  Thus the marketers have to focus on what it does better than "old reliable", which folks are hanging on to.

The "in-place upgrade" is strictly to cause disruption and buzz, because as every evil marketer knows, free press is good press.

-Noel

Re-enables powercfg Wake Settings:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5db1f11d-3d0a-4cd7-8cc2-dd91296a1be7/windows-updates-reenable-wakearmed-state-for-mouse-keyboard-and-nic-why?forum=win10itprogeneral

Although it seems those particular settings being changed by updates goes back to Windows 7.

Well I managed to upgrade from an older build (really old) last night to 10586, however, the only thing good I can say is the upgrade worked smoothly using the ISO. I can not say the same for the one I attempted to get via Windows Update. I hate upgrades I prefer to do clean installs.

I hate upgrades I prefer to do clean installs.

And THAT is exactly what's worst about Microsoft's present scheme.

It's as though they've taken everything about Windows that's ever been weak and decided that's what needs to be the central focus of Windows 10:

• Toy apps (Windows Live Gallery, Gadgets, etc.)
  • OS upgrades (what person in their right mind thinks such a system could ever be stable?)
  • Web development philosophies
  • Privacy problems and malware
  • Reinstalling the OS every few months

It's nothing less than a severe case of cranial-rectalitis.

-Noel

I don't know about Win 10, but I've seen Win 8 use old style windows in the WinRE environment.  The old Win 7-era Task Manager is in there as well, and that still works fine to this day in Win 10.

OK, just to test, I just booted into the WinRE environment in Win 10 build 10586.  Windows still have rounded corners and look like Windows Basic mode.  Not Aero Glass like what you showed.  You could be right.

-Noel