Browser video / screen saver

Luxman

Hi.

I've encountered a peculiar problem. While streaming video in either IE or Firefox, HTML5 or Flash, the screen saver activates.

In both XP & 7 I have never encountered this, and so far no luck in my search for a remedy to this.

Any Vista experts with the hidden secret to resolve this? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

To fix this, click the Start button and type Power Options in the Search Box, and press enter.

Once the window opens, click on "Change Plan Settings" under your selected power plan.

Then, click "Change advanced power settings"

When the dialogue appears, scroll to the very bottom of the list, and click the + sign next to Multimedia settings, then under "When sharing media", choose "Prevent idling to sleep": http://prntscr.com/9csdk2

Then click Ok, and the issue should be resolved. Works fine for me, no books required :thumbup

And I couldn't even get the book to load for some reason, if the solution was what I stated above, then I guess there's no point anyway

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Hello.

To fix this, click the Start button and type Power Options in the Search Box, and press enter.

Once the window opens, click on "Change Plan Settings" under your selected power plan.

Then, click "Change advanced power settings"

When the dialogue appears, scroll to the very bottom of the list, and click the + sign next to Multimedia settings, then under "When sharing media", choose "Prevent idling to sleep"

That is the default setting. At this point I can only assume that it may have something to do with the graphics driver, so I'll have to investigate any settings options from there.

The screensaver activates at the point in time it is programmed for; so, if I set the screensaver to activate after 1 minute, that is when it will activate regardless of the fact video is streaming in a browser.

But I've also noticed how poorly Vista is programmed regarding the screensaver/monitor off/password required on settings. With settings of, let's say, 10 minutes to screen saver and 15 minutes to shut off display, how ridiculous it is that if I select on resume, display logon screen that while the screensaver is in fact activated, and I prompt a return to use, I am prompted for a password. However, if the monitor has shut off and I prompt a return to use, I am back at the desktop, with no login screen!  :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

The screensaver activates at the point in time it is programmed for; so, if I set the screensaver to activate after 1 minute, that is when it will activate regardless of the fact video is streaming in a browser.

But I've also noticed how poorly Vista is programmed regarding the screensaver/monitor off/password required on settings. With settings of, let's say, 10 minutes to screen saver and 15 minutes to shut off display, how ridiculous it is that if I select on resume, display logon screen that while the screensaver is in fact activated, and I prompt a return to use, I am prompted for a password. However, if the monitor has shut off and I prompt a return to use, I am back at the desktop, with no login screen!  :huh:

All of these issues were present after installing the iso (en_windows_vista_sp2_x64_dvd_342267) thus I had no updates installed. Since then I'm fully up to date and the issues described above no longer exist. The only issue I have found so far is that I have the monitor set to turn off after 20 minutes, and that does in fact occur if I am playing a game, in which case I must use a program called 'caffeine' for simulated keyboard activity.