Aero Glass doesn't work with AMD Catalyst 15.11 Beta

dchh

Currently, I'm not exactly sure what's wrong, because according to your minidumps, it looks like a bug in graphics driver.

That could be - though they have a strong test process, ATI is not known for releasing perfect software every time.  Display drivers are insanely complex beasts, as I'm sure you know, bigmuscle.

I only posted here to encourage you, if you determine anything about the specifics of the bug, to report it to AMD.  They DO listen to bug reports, and I can imagine I'll be upgrading to a newer release at some point and it would be nice if they already had the bug fixed by then.  :)  At the moment I'm on 15.9.1 beta and I guess I'll stay there for a while...

-Noel

It crashes at beginning in the phase of initial hooks when pD3DDevice->Release() is called. The pointer to device is valid and it does not crash on accessing the memory location but something in atixx.dll file (I don't remember the exact file name now).

One of the recent problems the ATI boys have been struggling to solve (apparently for several versions now) I've seen documented as a "video memory leak", so perhaps they're doing funky things in the memory management area.

-Noel

Heyyyy!!! Good news everyone ! 

I now tried the new AMD Crimson drivers and guess what! Aero Glass (developer 506) is working flawlessly ! 

Now I will try to downgrade to the latest "stable" 1.4.1 and check again !

UPDATE : Tested with the latest stable 1.4.1 for Windows 8.1 x64 aaaaaaaaaand...

IT'S WORKING ! Yaaay... Problem fixed :-)

Btw --- AMD Crimson is awesomeness pure!

Edited by PrEzi

PrEzi, thank you for your report!

What graphics card do you have, and what new features have you discovered in AMD Crimson 15.11?  I have a Radeon HD 7850 and Catalyst 15.9.1 (beta) and it's been flawless.  To be honest I'm not sure I want to upgrade, since stability is of prime importance to me.  I've always secretly hoped ATI would make 30 bit color available via "gamer" cards, but so far they have not, even though they offer a 10 bpp setting in the Catalyst Control Panel.  Maybe this time?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 4 weeks later...

Please note that AMD Crimson 15.11 driver is also working perfectly on Win 8.1 x64 with Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4.0.200 x64.

I have a R9 280X.

Edit: And since I saw I was using an old version, I just updated it and Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4.1.240 x64 works fine too.

I develop with SlimDx and no problem, I play WoW and no problem with these 15.11 drivers.

Edited by Ridrok

Did you know that there's now a Crimson 15.12?  They claim to have fixed fan problems among a few others.

A lot of folks are reporting problems with specific games still.

I'm still on Catalyst 15.9.1 on the "if it works, don't fix it" strategy.

For what it's worth, I've been running Aero Glass 1.4.1.240 on my Win 8.1 system (with Radeon HD 7850) since September and it's been flawless.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

No I did not know 11.12 was released and I use MSI afterburner to manage the fan on the graphic card.

I understand the "if it works, don't fix it" strategy, but it's really a way to be outdated. I tend to do the same, but I always try new versions and revert in case of problem or I would be still using Win XP on this PC.

NoelC, when (and if) you install driver >= 15.11, if you select "AMD Settings" it will remove the Catalyst control center and replace it with this new application. Personally for the moment I prefer to not select it and Catalyst Control Center is kept.

Edited by Ridrok

Ah, so you're saying that if you choose to keep Catalyst control center then the functionality of being able to have it auto-load a preset that will calibrate the color of the Desktop Color at logon is still there?  That's what I really need.

Generally speaking I've kept up to date with things; it's just when the functionality is reduced that I tend to get conservative, until I'm sure that a new version of something will deliver all its predecessor would provide.

Thank you for the info.  Notably NOT ONE PERSON on the ATI forum has mentioned the ability to keep the Catalyst Control Center. 

-Noel

Edit:  It's not quite as I thought, but CCC.exe is installed as "Radeon Additional Settings".  However, just starting it doesn't auto-load the last used preset.

But no matter, they do include a command line program (CLI.exe) that can be used to manually load a preset.  I've made a little batch file to do it on logon.

Edited by NoelC