Quickest, easiest 8.0 to 8.1 update?

bizzybody

I just updated an Acer laptop that had been restored to factory 8.0. Had to download and install 179 updates to 8.0, including two supposedly optional ones, before the 8.1 update would download and install.

That took about 24 hours! Most of that time was spent installing the update and this is not a slow computer.

Is there an 8.1 update download that includes 100% of everything it needs so it can be installed onto a clean 8.0 install?

I'm not sure if you end up with a nice and clean ISO, but maybe one of these:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

ISO images are available too from Microsoft, but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to get them without an MSDN subscription. 

You would still have to install updates, but far less. The latest ISOs are from 12/2014.

Edited by shae

ESD's instead of WIM's.

I got them in an attempt to salvage a non-functiona; Acer Laptop that started in life as an 8.0 upgraded to 8.1.

This I know because I hooked the SATA to another PC (Win7) and inspected it (GPT and all).

Hard-Activated to BIOS (I assume) since a Unique Key.

Sadly, the Laptop refuses to more that blink the "power on" light. No Vid, etc (dead). :(

Currently disassembled.

P.S. - Yes, it sold with Windows8. Only.

Be sure to get the RIGHT one for your PC.

Is that a Microsoft format for a compressed WIM, or just encrypted? Why was a new format needed at all?

My question is Why doesn't Microsoft have an 8.0 to 8.1 update with zero prerequisites like the Windows 7 SP1? IIRC the only other version with something like that is the Vista SP2 which required SP1 to be installed first. At least with that one could install Vista RTM followed immediately by SP1 then SP2 without having to download a ton of other updates.

IIRC on XP if you installed SP2 on RTM there was something you'd not get but it wasn't critical.

Try Google.

I did. A quick search didn't find a quick and clear technical explanation.

I thought forum members might be able to explain what's the idea in a line or two.

Uhhh... I thought it was pretty clear. Now Why in the world would MSchange to ESD vs WIM? Hmmmm... To make downloads smaller?

:crazy:

Dude! Get a grip on logically thinking! There's no "encryption", just a DIFFERENT compression, like ZIP vs RAR. Come - ON! P.S - WIM's are "also" compressed, or didn't you notice? :unsure:

Edited by submix8c

I've no idea why MS would introduce new formats, or what might be the technical differences. For all I know ESD might stand for "Extended Surveillance Data" and is a ploy to add even more "telemetry points".

It's just something I was randomly curious about and couldn't find a clear answer in 5 minutes of searching and reading. It has no immediate relevance to me so for now I guess I'll remain ignorant on topic.  :)

Edited by shae