Integrating drivers into XP's txtsetup.sif - query

I'm doing a spot of tinkering right now, and I'm trying to learn how to manually integrate a few drivers into my various XP sources. I've modified txtsetup.sif, but don't seem to need to modify dosnet.inf (which is nice)

I've added a directory tree under I386 ("I386\DRIVERS\FIRADISK"), and added in the SourceDisksNames and the WinntDirectories.

I've also added in the files:

firadisk.cat = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.inf = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.sys = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.sys = 1,,,,,,,4,0,0

...that works, but I have to duplicate the .sys file by adding it to the I386 directory, which seems strange.

So I tried:

firadisk.cat = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.inf = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.sys = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.sys = 1982,,,,,,,4,0,0

...but that doesn't work. Boo! The install fails, reporting that the file "could not be found".

I have a work around (have a second copy in I386), but I'd like to understand why it's not copying the file from the directory? Any ideas?

All I can speculate is that whatever does the copying can't handle the same file going to multiple destinations...but then if I try to copy from my directory to only system32\drivers it still fails, so that's weird:

firadisk.cat = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.inf = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0;firadisk.sys = 1982,,,,,,,1982,0,0firadisk.sys = 1982,,,,,,,4,0,0
Edited by mrjrt

txtsetup is not the file that denotes files to copy. It is the file that says where files go when they are copied.

You need all of the files added to dosnet.inf first, look in it its really straightforward.

p3.sys       = 1,,,,,,,4,0,0

Red is the location of the file originally "1" is the source disk. Only change this if you have properly denoted a new source location in txtsetup!

Blue is where the file is to go this is the number you want to change.

The better way would be to add them into cab files like drivers.cab (This is a whole nother very complicated can of worms.)

in essence you need dosnet to tell the setup that the files are to be copied and then the txtsetup to tell setup where the files go...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Thanks for the reply.

txtsetup is not the file that denotes files to copy. It is the file that says where files go when they are copied.

You need all of the files added to dosnet.inf first, look in it its really straightforward.

See, that's what I initially read, and did, but as I say - I'm able to get this working without touching dosnet - as long as I have a copy in I386. Even then when I only specified the .sys file in dosnet.inf it still copied the folder with the .cat and .inf files by the end of GUI setup...

...and IIRC, even when I specified the .sys in the subdirctory in dosnet.inf I still got the "cannot be found" error when referencing it in txtsetup.sif.

Edited by mrjrt