Compaq Deskpro EN

Shaorin

i did try to clan the contats i think i did so it looks abit better. but the shapire card i get no scren from nor the built in, and when turn on the pc i hear the it start up but if i press the power button it instanly turn off. i think its somethign wrong there,

for the shapire card i did pull out my Sound blaster live card aswell but still no screen and i still instant power off

the ATI card so far only get video error so will see if i can clan it better i did try to resit it but still error so far.

They're both either incompatible or defective. It's up to you to perform tests in another (newer) machine and find out. There's nothing more I can do from out here.

Once you find a good working card we'll see about the corresponding drivers, but right now we're stuck on hardware issues.

Just joined to say that I also have a Deskpro EN. My friend added a PCI GeForce4 MX 420 which works just fine. I remember seeing a forum (think it was HP) where some ATI cards simply refused to show a POST due to compatibility problems. If I were you, I'd see about getting an NVidia card; they seem to have less problems.

i see. i thought of a riva but i dont know what i should get. i mean the riva cast 60$ and this is not the M64 one the M64 you should not get.

but i dont know withs cards are PCI nor what to look after

Check this list out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

Look for PCI in the 'Bus interface' column.

Best you can get for a Win9x system appears to be GeForce 6200 PCI, lower are 5200/5500/5600. These all suport DirectX 9.

You can go even lower but none of the Ti4xxx supporting DirectX 8.1 have PCI bus so skip them and go even lower.

The MX series only support DirectX 7.0 so you'd have only have limited access to newer games.

The whole issue here is what exactly does your motherboard/chipset/BIOS support in regard to PCI videocards and I have no idea how to find this out other than by trial and error.

But it's not worth wasting money for that.

Edited by Drugwash

Do us all a favor.

Go download this -

http://filehippo.com/download_everest_home/

Install it and run it.

Save the "Computer", "Motherboard", and "Devices" sections to TXT files, zip them with (e.g.) 7-Zip (as ZIP file) and attach.

Otherwise we're spinning our wheels here. I'm pretty sure I had an Evo (same Mobo) that I dumped a while back.

It seems that the actual Manual is AWOL on the HP/Compaq website.

Edit - I take that back. The original "c01123817.pdf" is AWOL. Here they are (what exists) -

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/manualsResults/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=96266

Edited by submix8c