Compaq Deskpro EN

Shaorin

I could buy a used, fully operational Pentium III here for about $20. A 40GB IDE hard drive would be about $5. Other parts would be more expensive, of course, but not too much. Admittedly, second-hand computer market is slowly dying here too.

@submix8c: judging by the wording in post #10 (doesn't take up much space) it appears to be a slim desktop case. But I may be wrong assuming this. If it indeed is a tower case then of course a regular PSU may be fitted even with modifications to the case if needed.

Agreed. I've recycled more PC's than I can count. (Thanks, Brothers Chris and Joel, for dumping them on me into giant stacks in my work room.)

Goodwill or nearly any large thrift store may have some. Of course, they're getting scarce around my neck of the woods. Got lucky on a $25 Dell Vostro 200 SFF (all SATA, Core2Duo + 4GB DDR2 Ram, DVD burner, no HDD, no PS/2).  Needs a dang PSU (odd size) as well, but tested with an extra standard size and it works.

well the time its not a big deal its more the shipping. the shipping usely cost more then the item itself.... + import fees.

but you mine is a slim case one. so i dont know i can mod the psu even if it where cool. 

i dont know how much power each card take. so i can caculate if thats the prower of it the card not woking. i only get this deskpro and then a new windows10 PC. i did have a old PC but i did put a RAM into it wring so its sparked. first time i was in a pc hahaha all can do wrong but i learnt from that. so that board dont give me any display but fan and so on starts, i get no power light not sure if that one is broke or not.

maybe but i did only pay like 30$ for it so it was not so much. it was a intel P4 so it was nice and so on but i had so many problems like i can turn of the PC at all it rested all the time i could not get into DOS-Mode and so on i thought it was the RAM for it had 1GB in it. and i dont think its worth the money to go to repair shope they take like 80$ just to look at the problems so its kind of cheaper hounting down a new PC

You can use a bootable CD/DVD with the appropriate tools to test RAM, HDD and other parts. MemTest86+ is a good RAM test. HDAT2 can test and repair bad sectors in HDDs. If you can't afford the repair shop you'll have to learn and do it yourself. Preferrably without breaking anything. :)

If you're willing to get to the bottom of this in regard to the Deskpro, find a standard PSU somewhere around 230W or higher, reconfigure the wirings with extreme care (and triple-checking), connect it to the Deskpro's board and see if the new videocard works that way. Try other PCI slot, if available - there may be IRQ conflicts or even some defective slot that prevents it from working - assuming the card itself is in good shape.

Please keep in mind that reconfiguring the PSU socket wirings is risky and can permanently damage the motherboard - don't blame me (or anyone else) if you blow it up! ;)

That said, good luck! :)

thanks. i will ask some freind about this and see if he can help me he know the electric stuff better then i do. but yea its can be good. but if get a better PSO will it get more power to the PCI slots are what? 

A better PSU (as in higher output power) can offer more current to any device that requires it, PCI devices included of course.

Personally I stil believe either the BIOS does not acknowledge the PCI videocard, video priority is not correctly set or the card is defective, otherwise the machine would just shutdown shortly after power up or reboot constantly, if the PSU were too weak. But it's just an opinion that could be wrong. One way or another you have to prove through tests that each piece is in good shape and working correctly.

Keep looking for a video priority setting as per my comment #5 above. If that's not available then all you can do is test the videocard on another (working) computer to check if it's not damaged or try a different (presumably working) PCI videocard on this computer.

i have bought a new card just in case its a PCI readon 128VR 32MB card. it did not cast much like 15$ so waiting for that to come and see if that wanna work.

to try the other card are therte any diffrence in the PCI slots on newer matherboards? or can i just stick in into my current PC that run windows 10 with PCI-e GPU if it fit in one of the slots? i think it has some PCI slots but im not sure if it will work there. and i dont wanna do something bad.

That's an ATI Rage 128VR 32MB PCI.

Here's the Rage128 info (picture is of an AGP variation).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage#RAGE_128

You'll undoubtedly need the Drivers for it.

No, PCI and PCIe are two different things. If you have a PCI slot (not PCIe) you could put it in there but I seriously doubt it will work with Windows 10.

PCI slot (only one type) -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

PCIe slots (more than a single type) -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

HTH

i have bought a new card just in case its a PCI readon 128VR 32MB card. it did not cast much like 15$ so waiting for that to come and see if that wanna work.

to try the other card are therte any diffrence in the PCI slots on newer matherboards? or can i just stick in into my current PC that run windows 10 with PCI-e GPU if it fit in one of the slots? i think it has some PCI slots but im not sure if it will work there. and i dont wanna do something bad.

The PCI slots are identical in shape but there is an underlying software difference. Unfortunately, the so-called search engines don't care about search terms and just throw at the user whatever garbage has been more "requested", therefore I couldn't find an article describing differences between PCI (and not d4mn PCI-express) versions.

However, there may be little chances that such difference may affect the functioning of a videocard but please do keep it in the back of your mind, just in case.

I have no idea if the dreaded spying software known as Windows 10 will recognize and enable a PCI video card, but if you set the BIOS correctly (as I already said somewhere above in regard to slot priority, providing that machine's BIOS does have such feature) you may at least see the POST screen while the computer starts, if only for a split second.

Actually, that's what you should've done with your current videocard already, to verify if it's in good shape or not. There's no point in acquiring a bunch of videocards if the Deskpro simply doesn't accept a PCI videocard.

I assume you already know this, but just for the sake of it: if the card doesn't first fit visually in the slot, do not attempt to force it in! ;)

i did get my card. but i dont know if it works atleast i get video from my inbuilt card and it find something in the PCI slot i dont get any driversr and its super hard to find them i ahve been looking for a few hours now and all sites i can find something on are dead so cant downlaod it.

i have a ATI rage 128vr PCI 32MB card. thanks the help

PS. dont just link me a site without testing it first please.