Will Windows 8.1 "Expire" If Kept Offline?

NoelC

Nice!!  Thumbs up for that.  It just serves to prove that the older Windows systems still have value and are very stable.  Thank you for posting your results.

I actually chose to install an update about 2 months ago and it required a reboot so my continuous uptime on my stable Win 7 server is a bit lower than yours at this point.  As you can see, my reliability monitor tells a good tale.

UptimeWin7_02_02_2016.png

The furor has died down some, but given that we small businesses DO have these important applications for systems that need to just run and run without interruption, the disconnect between the need for months of trouble-free runtime vs. having to reboot Windows 10 whenever Microsoft wants it is still HUGE.

On the original subject of this thread, since you bumped it anyway...

My Windows 7 and 8.1 systems kept from calling the mothership (by firewall configuration) continue to run for me, and still show permanent activation.

-Noel

Nice!!  Thumbs up for that.  It just serves to prove that the older Windows systems still have value and are very stable.  Thank you for posting your results.

The furor has died down some, but given that we small businesses DO have these important applications for systems that need to just run and run without interruption, the disconnect between the need for months of trouble-free runtime vs. having to reboot Windows 10 whenever Microsoft wants it is still HUGE.....

-Noel

Speaking of months of trouble free run time,  always wondered (even back in the Windows 2000 Server days) how other admins planned to employ patches and updates.  I always waited for a weekend to perform the installations and restarts, but what was common for other sys admins to do?

Ooh, someone like me who thinks updating and rebooting a computer is a non-trivial thing, that's best planned for.

Uptime matters!  We're so old-fashioned!

In all seriousness, it depends on the needs of users to access the system.  As one who normally doesn't get much sleep, I usually did/do maintenance late at night.  Since I'm self-employed, weekends and weekdays blur together for me nowadays.

-Noel

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to confess that I did choose some security updates from the last cycle, so at the moment I don't have a system in an "updates disabled permanently" state where I can definitively say one way or another whether my Win 8.1 system drops into a "must communicate to remain activated" state.  That communication might have occurred during the update process.

It's probably a good assumption that some communication will ultimately be attempted, however, even after a properly licensed system is considered "permanently activated".  I am imagining that if such communication is never allowed that it will just never drop into a state where activation has been rescinded. 

The alternative, of course, is that if it IS allowed to communicate, Microsoft could ultimately send back a "deactivate now" response that would wreck things.

-Noel

Hi guys!

I have been following the comments here and NoelC...I have, like you,  come to the conclusion something is seriously wrong with the direction Microsoft is taking....the trouble is a lot of my customers haven't a clue about the outs and ins of their Windows OS...and they don't want to know... they just accept anything that is put in front of them....I also agree that if something is being pushed on us without our consent...that in my book is Malware...

A lot of my customers are old age pensioners and I am not to far away from pensioner status myself....help...;) They have just resigned themselves to the inevitable..Microsoft is all they know and even if  a lot go over to Mac...there still will be a lot that just ignore everthing bad about Microsoft so long as their computer is running OK...they can check their email, have a look at an online newspaper or two....

I know Microsoft are big but if a seed is sown and it is fed with the right furtilizer it is only a matter of time before the seed becomes a plant and then....

Discontent is not something that even Microsoft can laugh about forever...

I generally am very disappointed in the way things are going and will do as I have said before...utilise Windows 7 for as long as I can and then call it a day with Microsoft...

bookie32

I think they've presumed too much:  That people will continue to focus on installing and maintaining Windows at their current level... 

Win 10 ain't new and exciting any more, and it's getting to be pretty well known worldwide as a basic disappointment.  Nothing seems to be coming out of Microsoft with all these continuous pre-releases and cumulative updates that makes it seem any less boring.  Plus the world actually DOES need to get its real work done, and that doesn't happen if all you do is play with Windows.

My Win 8.1 setup is still light, fast, and stable.  I have recently checked for and installed security updates, and have tweaked it and muzzled it so that I'm sure it remains private.  From what I can see, the license gets checked whenever I open the flood gates just a little in order to facilitate checking for those updates, so even though I went 3 months one time, I won't really know the answer to this thread until I really do cut off updates entirely, long-term.  I'm sure that'll happen at some point.

-Noel

It would seem that if we look in general at what Microsoft is producing...it is more unpolished, unfinished, not thought through, boring, prone to problems....the list is much longer than my feeble attempt...but you get the picture...

I honestly think Windows 10 is just plain crap and as for the "computers load faster" very over rated and not true at all in many cases as people have commented on here.... Still getting customers saying they upgraded to Windows 10 because they were having problems with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1??!!....but these are people that are only interested in their email and newspapers...;)

Maybe I have been unfair to Windows 10. The learning curve from XP, Vista, and Windows 7 were not too much to get to grips with....but I just don't see any logic to the new version....that might be me....

At the risk of repeating myself and making myself look even more stupid...I really had respect for Microsoft and the products they produced...I always thought Microsoft knows best. I wouldn't even question the installation of updates recommended by Microsoft.....Those days are gone. My eyes are now wide open...and I do not like what I see!!

I will also admit (not to offend) that I didn't like Windows 8 when it came on the scene....just not a fan of all the apps everyone talks about nowadays...;) I didn't think Windows 8.1 was much better on the surface....the nuts and bolts I leave to you guys....I still haven't come to terms with the tumble dryer...(as I call it)...;)

But I have reinstated many computers now and customers generally prefer Windows 8.1 over Windows 10...

What happens after the cut off date for the free upgrade?.....still can't get my head around the free bit....

bookie32

You're not wrong.  There is no logic.  A lot of people with a lot of years experience agree.

Regarding the "free upgrade"...

Would you trade your tried and true, reliable and still pretty nice car for a much uglier, lesser car that's a couple of years newer just because someone offered an even trade?  You might consider it, but ultimately, if your existing car was pleasing you and you didn't sense a better value in the newer one, it's pretty clear you'd just move on.

And so what if it's "free"...  If in 2018 Windows 10 turns into something that's really desirable, we can always scrape together a few hundred dollars and buy a license (assuming it would even be that much).  We've always been able to manage to find the money to pay for software with value in the past.

It's just that right now the added value isn't even worth $0.00.

-Noel