98SE MS updates

justacruzr2

About KB905495 (which you didn't install because you insisted on the IE6 No-SP version).

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms05-044

"Non-Affected Software: Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME)"

You might also look at this.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/62633-you-like-to-install-updates-from-original-installation-files/page-2

IOW, the *recommended" *newer* one (for IE6SP1) was never issued by MS, but was "created" using "official" (e.g. XP-SP1) files.

So, if you so desire to *not* install the "Unofficial" it's up to you. *However* the sole purpose of them is to get you up-to-date BEYOND what MS was willing to give. Kind of like getting XP-Embedded updates for XP-SP3 EOL. *BE AWARE* that *many* Unofficial (maybe most) are what's called "BACK PORT" Updates (using newer OS files in an older OS). Don't ssuppose you noticed where so many Unofficial ones are located (hint - MDGx website)?

Have fun stumbling through your glitches. You see, here on MSFN... Been there, done that, hence the SP's and AutoPatcher.

:crazy::w00t:

Edited by submix8c

Since this problem is known to exist in IE6 why wait until it does happen when there is a cure?  Preventative medicine.

Sure :).

But the problem (which is anyway EXTREMELY rare) would not exist and the cure wouldn't be needed at all, if you use the "right" approach which is "use a FTP client for FTP access".

Pre-preventative medicine. ;)

jaclaz

Since this problem is known to exist in IE6 why wait until it does happen when there is a cure?  Preventative medicine.

Sure :).

But the problem (which is anyway EXTREMELY rare) would not exist and the cure wouldn't be needed at all, if you use the "right" approach which is "use a FTP client for FTP access".

Pre-preventative medicine. ;)

jaclaz

Here's part of what Microsoft Support has to say about that problem:

Your Account Is Locked Out When You View an FTP Server with Internet Explorer 6

SYMPTOMS

When you are using Internet Explorer to view an FTP server that has many levels of folders and you view folders that are five

or more levels deep, your account may be locked out. This symptom only occurs on an FTP server that does not allow anonymous

logons.

CAUSE

After the first logon, a new logon attempt is made when you connect to another folder. Because Internet Explorer does not

keep the password, a blank password is sent, and a logon that is not valid is recorded. If an account is set to lock out

after three failed logons, the account is locked out when you go five levels deep in the folder structure.

So I would agree that it's EXTREMELY rare.  And it's similar to the problem of accessing a file 8 folders deep on a CD.  So what do you suggest for a FTP client keeping in mind that I would like it to be compatible with 98SE, ME & XP (if that's possible)?

@ jaclaz, dencorso, Drugwash et al

Thanks for your suggestions.  It's funny because just after I replied to jaclaz's post I remembered that I do have a ftp program and it's the one that dencorso mentioned.  I have WS_ftp LE 6 installed on all 3 of my systems.  I used it to transfer files back and forth between my mainframe PDS and my PC.  I had forgotten that I had it because I haven't used it for a couple of years now.  And it never occurred to me to use it for ftp sites with my PC.  Also have QWS3270 which emulates an IBM 3270 terminal for TSO sessions.  ;)

Congratulations! You just confused 99% of the MSFN user community.

Folks, unless you're running Mainframe IBM DOS/VSE-AF or IBM OS/VS-MVS (and their newer versions) don't bother asking for the aforementioned non-HomeComputer software. Pretty sure nobody here has an Amdahl sitting in their basement. :w00t:

Old Skool!

So I would agree that it's EXTREMELY rare.  And it's similar to the problem of accessing a file 8 folders deep on a CD.  So what do you suggest for a FTP client keeping in mind that I would like it to be compatible with 98SE, ME & XP (if that's possible)?

JFYI, personally I am fond of good ol' LeechFTP, as it is simple and straightforward:

http://www.leechftp.de/

http://www.leechftp.de/download.htm

Don't worry the program is in English, besides German, and it is "inherently portable".

jaclaz

• 3 months later...