98SE MS updates

justacruzr2

I'm rebuilding my 98SE system and have so far been unable to locate the following MS updates.  Does anyone know where or how these can be obtained?

q254660
q257821
q269239
q269388
q277628
q323455
kb835732
kb883586
kb918144
kb913296

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm rebuilding my 98SE system and have so far been unable to locate the following MS updates.  Does anyone know where or how these can be obtained?

q254660

q257821

q269239

q269388

q277628

q323455

kb835732

kb883586

kb918144

kb913296

Thanks for any help you can offer.

i've used kbupdate.info in the past for collecting windows 95 updates through reference, and same can be done for windows 98. but if you want the actual updates themselves, most links won't work, even if using waybackmachine, certain updates or hotfixes can be obtained from the microsoftsmallbusiness hotfix request cached sites which still worked not too long ago for me. however, some of the updates you mentioned can already be obtained from the thread below that is right here on msfn, i actually kind of got over collecting official updates for 98SE as there are too many of them anyways to apply individually and im still missing a lot probably, so if you don't mind, the unofficial service pack is not a bad choice as i may plan to just use that and the remaining other updates such as directx 9.0c which should be applied right after, though the setup includes it, it doesn't install for some reason, maybe i don't know how to configure it, but also you need internet explorer 6 with sp1, install that actually before directx 9.0c, than chipset drivers, then unofficial usb mass storage drivers, then graphics driver, then net framework, etc. i still plan on using all official individual updates for w95, except for some side programs and updates such as xusbsupp and opera 10.63 ( unofficial modified version), i have almost all the updates obtained through reference from kbupdate.info for w95 but for w98, i just don't have the energy and feel to do so   :)  - 

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/84886-the-complete-list-of-hotfixes-updates-for-windows-98se/

Edited by cov3rt

Thanks.  The "Monster List" was the 1st place I went in my search just to know what updates were released by MS for 98SE.  Since I originally got 98SE on a hard drive I removed from a computer that was being thrown away where I worked, all the updating had been done so I never paid any attention to it.  But when that hard drive failed along with another one that had the backup on it I have had to start from scratch.  Many of the links to the files in the "Monster List" don't work anymore but I was able to get most of those "official" MS updates (by careful search wording) except for these 10 (I now have 113).  Many of the links that don't work from the "Monster List" I was able to get the file from ftp sites.  Using the "Q" number or the "KB" number and appending USA8.EXE to that found most of those missing ones.  Most, but not all, of the updates are named that way.  I have seen some that are just "US8.EXE" or "_98.EXE", etc.  I tried all the variations I could think of.  Was hoping that maybe someone had them and would be willing to share or knew something I haven't tried yet.  Some of them I already had from when I originally updated my ME system from the Windows Update site back in the early 2000's.  Good thing I saved them and burned them to disk.  Many of those updates are for both 98 and ME especially the ones that relate to IE6, Outlook Express and a few others.  The "waybackmachine" was one of the places I tried and I think I got a couple off of that too.  And yes, I am looking for the actual updates themselves "the executables".  So I'm not actually collecting them...just trying to put my 98SE system back the way it was or better.  And I will burn all these updates onto CD so that if this ever happens again I won't have to spend hours hunting them down.  That's why I originally did it for my ME system 'cause the same thing happened to it many years ago.  Except that when that happened it was before 2006 and all I had to do was go back to Windows Update and redo them.  They were all still there.  As for the unofficial service pack, I checked thru the list of files it contains and only 4 of the ones I'm looking for are in it.  Still may do that just to get those 4.  I also downloaded some of the "unofficial" ones too from the "Monster List".  I already downloaded and installed the Directx 9.0c from Microsoft's website (it's still available for download) and it works just fine...no problems.  I have already installed everything you mention except for the updates...that's where I'm at now.  What I can tell you that may help you, from Microsoft's official website, is that Windows core components are updated separately from the other Windows applications.  Applications such as Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, Directx, etc. are handled by different programming groups and their updates do not interfere with Windows core components.  So the order in which you do those should not affect anything else.  Anyway, thanks for your reply.

As for the unofficial service pack, I checked thru the list of files it contains and only 4 of the ones I'm looking for are in it.

Can you please list the actual files that are NOT present from you list please? Some files were not included for specific purposes.

As for the unofficial service pack, I checked thru the list of files it contains and only 4 of the ones I'm looking for are in it.

Can you please list the actual files that are NOT present from you list please? Some files were not included for specific purposes.

Hi PROBLEMCHYLD.  From my list of updates I'm looking for, these 4 were in the list of files in the Unofficial Service Pack:

* q254660

* q257821

* q269388

* q277628

These are the ones that weren't:

q269239

q323455

kb835732

kb883586

kb918144

kb913296

This is the link to the Service Pack I was looking at which may not have been yours.  There seems to be a couple different versions out there.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unofficial_windows98_se_service_pack.html

q254660 Only if you use IntelliMouse Buttons 4+5
q257821 Only if you need Winsock 500ms Timeout increase
q269239 Only if you use WINS - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/269239
q269388 Seems to be same FileName as q269239
- Note - Appears to have been in AutoPatcher
-    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/525014-unofficial-autopatcher-for-windows-98-se/
- See this

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/

q277628 This is (apparently) a HFBR http://www.delorie.com/archives/browse.cgi?p=djgpp-workers/2002/01/08/05:23:43
- See q269388 "Note"
q323455 Check this out (and more?)
- http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/44732-service-pack-for-windows-98-standard-first-gold/
kb835732 Updated Netmeeting fixes it(?) -NonCritical-
- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms04-011.aspx
kb883586 Appears to be an IE6 Fix (and also a HFBR)
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/883586
- And I'm betting an IE6 Roll-Up fixed/included it
kb918144 - MSJET (also HFBR) directly related to MS-Office Only
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/918144
kb913296 - Also MSJET
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/913296

Note: HFBR is "HotFix By Request"

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded and opened "Auto-Patcher_for_Win98se_June2007sp2_Full" but I didn't see the update:

Q329128 - Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition transmit multicast packets that have a TTL setting of 0 (zero)

Date              Time    Version          Size        File name       Platform
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  21-Mar-2002  08:27  4.10.0.2001  157,909  NDIS.vxd         Windows 98 (x86)
  01-Aug-2002  09:51  4.10.0.2003  235,605  PPPMAC.vxd  Windows 98 (x86)
  01-Aug-2002  12:15  4.10.0.2004   75,581  VIP.386            Windows 98 (x86)
  21-Mar-2002  08:51  4.10.0.2226  166,053  NDIS.vxd         Windows 98 Second Edition (x86)
  01-Aug-2002  13:19  4.10.0.2223  235,605  PPPMAC.vxd  Windows 98 Second Edition (x86)
  01-Aug-2002  12:27  4.10.0.2228   80,409  VIP.386            Windows 98 Second Edition (x86)

I noticed in another related discussion that at that time it was being searched for.  Was it ever found or does a subsequent update supercede it?

Also, the kb835732 update wasn't there (as an executable).  But there was a reg entry file in the registry entries folder with that name.  Was that all that kb835732 did for 98SE...just a registry tweak?

According to some notes from January 2007 pertaining to soporific, KB835732 has been superseded by UCrypt9x.

No mention about Q329128 though.

If you want to look at the latest version of uSP3 maintained by PROBLEMCHYLD, open the link at the bottom of his signature.

01-Aug-2002  13:19  4.10.0.2223  235,605  PPPMAC.vxd  Windows 98 Second Edition (x86)

This file is NOT included in SP3 because it breaks Virtual Private Network (VPN). You need to take into consideration, that many Official updates broke certain things on systems is why some files were not added. Sorry, but there is no one size fits all.

MDGx Website is whence many "Unofficial" files were derived. Same place Ucrypt came from, I believe. And why June when I gave you December link?

Additionally, you just *added* this one (not previosly mentioned) - Q329128

kb835732 Updated Netmeeting fixes it(?)

Didn't notice that? (IOW, irrelevant. Get latest Netmeeting)

(Side note: Since several of us were directly involved with AP98SE, I have nearly (if not all) all of them archived.)

There's NO POINT in gathering every single one when another may supercede it, thus making having a certain one a moot point (will be overlayed anyway). Ref: http://xdot.tk to understand that (see change log).

Heed the above posters' warnings.

Well, as noted by PROBLEMCHYLD above some newer updates may break certain functions so according to specific user preferences there may be a need to back up a little bit and install an older update in order to preserve desired functions. Therefore having the complete timeline of updates would allow one to set their system up exactly as they wish.

And there's also the historical perspective where one just wants to collect each and every piece that was ever released, not necessarily for a subsequent install. ;)

According to some notes from January 2007 pertaining to soporific, KB835732 has been superseded by UCrypt9x.

No mention about Q329128 though.

If you want to look at the latest version of uSP3 maintained by PROBLEMCHYLD, open the link at the bottom of his signature.

I did see that in the Monster List of updates however I am a little leery of installing unofficial updates.  I have tried a few and they didn't seem to work.  For instance, in my ME system, I do have the problem (more of an annoyance) of the erratic mouse pointer.  The problem occurs when there is animation going on (like when you deal the cards in Spider Solitaire).  I downloaded 2 different unofficial fixes for this problem but neither of them corrected the problem.  Also tried another unofficial fix for the multiple file lockup problem in Explorer but it did nothing either to fix the problem.  I do understand that sometimes the complex interaction between M$ official updates and unofficial updates may be the cause of this so I am in no way faulting the authors of the unofficial updates.

Also I did download the Service Pack from ProblemChyld but it did not look as if the individual updates could be pulled from it.  There is a reason I prefer to do them individually.  I use Install Control 5 (InCtrl5) for all installs so I can see what has been done.  Frequently I tweak the folder locations and/or registry entries to suit the way I want my systems setup.  Running them all at once would produce a report that would mix them all together making it nearly impossible to determine what each individual one did.  I know it seems a bit anal and it's more work but I don't mind.

This file is NOT included in SP3 because it breaks Virtual Private Network (VPN). You need to take into consideration, that many Official updates broke certain things on systems is why some files were not added. Sorry, but there is no one size fits all.

OK, didn't know that so I'll just skip doing that one.  And yes, I am aware that some M$ updates negatively impacted other functions.  The most noticeable ones to me is the KB891711 and the KB918547 updates.  Not sure which one did it but after I installed them I was no longer able to save my Username or Password for my Internet Connection.  Each and every time I log on to the network I have to retype them.  That's annoying.

MDGx Website is whence many "Unofficial" files were derived. Same place Ucrypt came from, I believe. And why June when I gave you December link?

Additionally, you just *added* this one (not previosly mentioned) - Q329128

I only have dial-up internet service and a large file takes many hours to download.  A neighbor and friend across the street from me doesn't have a computer but does have an X-Box (nearly as fully functional as a desktop) with high speed internet so I asked him if we could download the file.  I had saved the link to the one you gave me in a text file on a flash drive so I could just plug it into the X-Box but didn't know that for the X-Box to read that file it has to be in a folder on the flash drive so we just Googled for it so that's how I got that one.

And yes, I didn't originally have that one in my list as it is not in the "Monster List".  I ran across that one from a related discussion here on MSFN.  I was just trying to be thorough and not miss anything.

kb835732 Updated Netmeeting fixes it(?)

Didn't notice that? (IOW, irrelevant. Get latest Netmeeting)

(Side note: Since several of us were directly involved with AP98SE, I have nearly (if not all) all of them archived.)

There's NO POINT in gathering every single one when another may supercede it, thus making having a certain one a moot point (will be overlayed anyway). Ref: http://xdot.tk to understand that (see change log).

Heed the above posters' warnings.

OK.  The reason I am doing it this way is to start at the beginning with the earliest update and then do them in timeline order.  I have noticed that some updates make registry entries as well as add/replace files and later updates that supercede these previous updates may only add/replace files and leave the registry entries as is.  In that case I don't want to "hop" over something which may cause a problem.

Well, as noted by PROBLEMCHYLD above some newer updates may break certain functions so according to specific user preferences there may be a need to back up a little bit and install an older update in order to preserve desired functions. Therefore having the complete timeline of updates would allow one to set their system up exactly as they wish.

And there's also the historical perspective where one just wants to collect each and every piece that was ever released, not necessarily for a subsequent install. ;)

Although my purpose is not to be historical and collect them, I would like to have them available if I ever have this problem again.  I am going to burn them onto a CD (along with the AutoPatcher and ProblemChyld's SP) so I won't have to go thru finding them again.  And as noted above "The reason I am doing it this way is to start at the beginning with the earliest update and then do them in timeline order." and for the reasons in my reply to DrugWash.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  They've been helpful.