[OLD] Experimental builds

bigmuscle

Well, let's say that if someone actually READs what has been written on MSFN, he/she might get that impression :whistle:, I mean ;):

If you want to remove desktop watermark, read this page: http://glass8.eu/support.php

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173139-read-first/?p=1090811
This would be really interesting. If someone has some obligations then he rather ignores it, but if it is about his rights then he finds the information in this forum very quickly. However, the only official site about my software is at http://www.glass8.eu and it is the only valid information.

The problem with adacom's "opinion" is his total disrespect to license terms (especially his "you have your terms - they are in your mind - no more"). He tries to push here that if someone pays for license then he has any right for anything and I must sit and do everything for him immediately. Actually, the opposite is true - if someone pays for license (in general, no talking about my SW only), he must follow license terms and he even has no right to get updated versions and other kind of support (unless license terms specify otherwise, of course). But he is not able to accept it so he pushes his opinion everytime the opportunity arises (so, actually, he just spams this forum).

The another problem is that how some users creates their only license terms - where is it written that free software is not allowed to display copyright statement?

More or less it goes like:

• It's nagware.
  • No it is not, it is donationware.
  • No, it is nagware.
  • No you are free to donate.
  • No I am not as I want to get rid of the watermark.
  • But you donate to support the development, not to remove the watermark.
  • But since when I donate I get rid of the watermark, I am not donating but buying the privilege of removing the watermark.
  • No, you are donating because you want to support the development of the tool.
  • No, I am donating to get rid of the watermark.
  • That's your problem, donation is for support of development.
  • But it effectively removes the nag.
  • But this happens because you supported the development.
  • Not really, this happens because I payed for a license of it.
  • No, you are not getting a license, you get consideration for having contributed to development.
  • So it's nagware.
  • No, it is not, it is donationware.

You list shows everything, thanks for it.

a) if user thinks that it is nagware (=software which nags him) why he uses such software? I don't use SW which nags me.

b) user talking about removing watermark by paying/buying/donating... where is this written that it will happen? Sorry, but if he is paying for something which has not been specified then he is really stupid. It is same as randomly sending money to someone and then saying that I payed him because I want his car. Isn't it stupid?

c) again, user talking that he is donating because "it effectively removes the nag" ... where did he find such information? On my website? No, it is again only his fabricate.

d) I never said this is "donationware" (in the sense of this exact term)

dhjohns: You are right. There is already a topic about license terms. If I remember correctly, it has been created for adacom's discussion. So I don't understand why he simply did not use that topic and he started to push it in another topic again. I could delete all these off-topic posts, but I don't want to create some censoring here.

Edited by bigmuscle

You list shows everything, thanks for it.

You are welcome. :)

c) again, user talking that he is donating because "it effectively removes the nag" ... where did he find such information? On my website? No, it is again only his fabricate.

I would guess that the point is not really where (or if) it is written but rather if this actually happens (as reported here by n users who have donated).

You could (temporarily, just as an experiment) try leaving the watermark (in a "non-experimental" release) even if a donation key is found and see how much gratitude people that actually donated would show on MSFN.....  ;)

In any case, without deleting anything, you should be able to move all the "license related" posts from this thread to a new, separate one. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I have an on-topic question having to do with the current beta.  I believe the answer is yes, but I want to be sure:

If I have a perfectly working setup on a Windows 8.1 system with the released Aero Glass for Win 8+ version 1.4.1.240. 

Is the latest beta also expected to run on Windows 8.1, or should I just stay with the version that works? 

I ask because I haven't actually tested it on Windows 8.1 yet.

-Noel

I would guess that the point is not really where (or if) it is written but rather if this actually happens (as reported here by n users who have donated).

So your policy is "Someone got it, so I must get it too" ? 

You could (temporarily, just as an experiment) try leaving the watermark (in a "non-experimental" release) even if a donation key is found and see how much gratitude people that actually donated would show on MSFN.....  ;)

So experiment in non-experimental version? As you can see, people do not care at all if some version is experimental, debug, testing or whatever. And any such build displays copyright messages regardless the presence of the key so it actually IS the donation ;)

In any case, without deleting anything, you should be able to move all the "license related" posts from this thread to a new, separate one. :unsure:

No, I'm not able to move posts. I can only hide the posts.

Even with that, I still have the problem I mentioned a couple pages back with my modern app titlebars not taking advantage of all the space.

I think then, it must be the theme you are using.

I don't think so since I tried the default Windows 10 theme and NoelC's squareborders theme (colored) and had the problem with both.

Which Windows theme are you using? I suppose you have tried several of them, though.

For the Windows theme, all I did was uncheck the Win8 Aero theme during setup of Aero Glass and kept the theme preinstalled with Windows 10, except with Aero Glass added to it.

Look, I know there's all this stuff about donations going on, but I still have this problem!

Even with that, I still have the problem I mentioned a couple pages back with my modern app titlebars not taking advantage of all the space.

I don't think so since I tried the default Windows 10 theme and NoelC's squareborders theme (colored) and had the problem with both.

Which Windows theme are you using? I suppose you have tried several of them, though.

For the Windows theme, all I did was uncheck the Win8 Aero theme during setup of Aero Glass and kept the theme preinstalled with Windows 10, except with Aero Glass added to it.

Look, I know there's all this stuff about donations going on, but I still have this problem!

Would be easier if you post images of your problem.

So your policy is "Someone got it, so I must get it too" ? 

Naah, personally my policy is to stay waaaaay clear of any OS that is actually supported by any version of Aeroglass (of course not because of Aeroglass, which is IMHO a very nice little tool :thumbup ) only because those OS's are largely senseless.

More generally (and still personally) my policy is "calling things by their name", even when this makes me appear as a grumpy, old, bastard (which - since I actually am an old, grumpy, bastard is NOT a misrepresentation ;)).

jaclaz

Would be easier if you post images of your problem.

Look at the 17th post on page 5.

Look at the 17th post on page 5.

I looked at http://i65.tinypic.com/23qrde.png

Other than an errant entry in the .layout file that goes with a theme atlas (which have said you have unchecked, so there really should be none), I don't know what could cause that.

When you use the SquareCorners10586.png and SquareCorners10586.png.layout file I have provided here, what does it look like?  Are the buttons fully formed, just small or short?

What happens if you try right-clicking the desktop, choosing Display settings from the context menu, move the slider away from your current resolution, then back again?  That seems to reset the desktop metrics that govern the relative sizes of things.

-Noel

MineMasterHD: According to your image, it looks like what I already mentioned. Current public version of ModernFrame does not respect your DPI settings and thus the titlebar content will be smaller and misaligned.

Aha, there's the culprit! The lower the DPI, the better it gets. 100% makes it look fine. Will there ever be an updated version that will work with 150% DPI? I can't really use anything smaller or bigger.

I have run it on 3 monitors (a central 2560 x 1600 display and two 1600 x 1200 displays on the sides, turned up 90 degrees).   So far, I've not seen a problem with this particular configuration, but it's a given I don't have the same hardware setup you have, nor do I use Nexus.  Notably all my monitors are set to the same scale.

As a bit of a stress test just now, since you asked, I opened up quite a few windows, and moved them all around on the 3 monitors without any problems...

ScreenGrab_W10_11_27_2015_064630.png

-Noel

Noel, Thanks very much for this experiment. I am really at loss about what may be the problem that causes this instability at my setup. My hardware does not differ significantly from yours regarding CPU and RAM. I am using on-board video Intel 4600, I don't know what is yours. Software wise I use Firefox and not the IE or Edge. Versions of Windows and AeroGlass are the same (goes without saying). Display scale, in my case, is also set to 100% on both monitors. I have removed the Nexus and the same as you i'm using the Classic Start. I rechecked the registry settings - everything is set as in the Bigmuscle's guide, including definitions for AppInit_DLLs.

Interesting, there is another version of Aeroglass around on the Net. I haven't been able to find out where it originates from. It's available on several sites. Well, this version is completely stable on my computer, although it has no blur and your theme does not have the effects it has with the BM's last one.

I attach it here, so if anybody is in the mood to try it - please do.https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3622EFE518296C3!444&authkey=!ANuzVyuzHjOl7D0&ithint=file%2czip

iweksler: do I understand that this happens only with that dock application? Is this application free and is it possible to download it somewhere?

This is what he uses. It has a free version and a paid version.

http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp

And any special settings? I tried to install and I don't see any problem.

Guys, the instability happens only for multiple monitors, When I switch to single monitor mode everything is rock stable - with or without Nexus. With two monitors it becomes unstable, the instability becoming significantly worse with Nexus. I have two monitors: 1 - 1920x1080 2 - 1600x1200.

My configuration of Nexus:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3622EFE518296C3!442&authkey=!ACguqP_lagIHdok&ithint=folder%2c

After some experimenting I observed the following phenomenon: after the display settings are redefined to one monitor the things get stabilized after a minute. Then when I go back to two monitors - everything remains stable. So far, the instability doesn't return.

These are my observations, which are pretty dumb (intentionally) since I don't know how the program works... Hope this helps.

Thanks for your information. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this problem.

Guys, do I understand that I'm abandoned? No ideas on how to solve my problem of unstable windows with or without Nexus? What additional info can I supply? What to experiment with? I'm attaching the debug log.

debug-28.txt

I cannot technically abandon you since I'm just another user like you.  I wish I could help more but I don't know what I could do for you.  I have ATI hardware, not Intel.  From my own experience with my own applications Intel is the worst of the three big names with regard to developing robust display drivers.

I certainly don't plan to experiment with an Aero Glass version from some other site.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC