[OLD] Experimental builds

bigmuscle

Donations are given of free will just as a token of gratitude for his hard work he doesn't have to do.

if you believe that then go and count the flying pigs - the vast majority give money to get rid of the watermark and the nag screen - why else are they there - to extract a donation is their only purpose

With regard to the fact that it is not said anywhere that donation will remove watermark/copyright notice and even my conditions explicitly say that you have no claim to get anything for your donation, it is only YOUR problem if you construe something which is not written anywhere.

Round and round the discussion goes.  Bottom line:  Big muscle is the only one with the skills and motivation to bring Aero Glass back to Windows, and his policies on using his software are his alone to set.  We should all just be happy he's made this software available to us at all.  Without it, I honestly wouldn't have given Win 8 or 10 a second look.

Now, to keep this on topic...

I've been testing a few days with 10586 (as of yesterday 10586.14), doing light work in Win 10, and I have to say I haven't seen even one problem with the experimental 1.4.2.506 version of Aero Glass for Win 8.1+.  I'm using my theme atlas and also your ModernFrame and UxThemeSignatureBypass dlls.  It all seems to look nicely integrated and it runs pretty solid here.  Even though it's a debug version it actually improves desktop performance a tiny bit to have it in place, believe it or not.

The only thing that has caught my eye - and it's most likely Windows' doing, not yours bigmuscle - is that after a few minutes of leaving Windows 10 just sitting idle after booting/logging-in, the C:\Windows\system32\ApplicationFrameHost.exe window pops open all by itself.  Perhaps some App is causing ApplicationFrameHost.exe to run autonomously.  If that's the case I have no other Apps remaining besides the Settings App.  I have yet to be able to figure out why it's being run.

-Noel

Nope, I don't have Search or Cortana at all.

I watched carefully.  It's the Settings App starting in the background with the command line:

"C:\WINDOWS\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe" -ServerName:microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

I'll figure out whether that's a scheduled task or what.  It causes the Settings App to remain running, though Suspended.  I don't want it running at all unless I ask for it.

-Noel

I watched carefully.  It's the Settings App starting in the background with the command line:

"C:\WINDOWS\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe" -ServerName:microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

I'll figure out whether that's a scheduled task or what.  It causes the Settings App to remain running, though Suspended.  I don't want it running at all unless I ask for it.

-Noel

If settings doesn't run, then you might not be able to save what you set.

-Noel

Using Ccleaner under the 'Startup', go to the tab 'Scheduled' in advanced mode. There are a ton of items under Microsoft such as the notifications that might be running in the background. You can selectively disable them temporarily to see if it stops this. I am not running Modernframes.dll because of this, but might give it another go.

Edited by Wolfshadow

iweksler: do I understand that this happens only with that dock application? Is this application free and is it possible to download it somewhere?

This is what he uses. It has a free version and a paid version.

http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp

And any special settings? I tried to install and I don't see any problem.

Guys, the instability happens only for multiple monitors, When I switch to single monitor mode everything is rock stable - with or without Nexus. With two monitors it becomes unstable, the instability becoming significantly worse with Nexus. I have two monitors: 1 - 1920x1080 2 - 1600x1200.

My configuration of Nexus:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3622EFE518296C3!442&authkey=!ACguqP_lagIHdok&ithint=folder%2c

After some experimenting I observed the following phenomenon: after the display settings are redefined to one monitor the things get stabilized after a minute. Then when I go back to two monitors - everything remains stable. So far, the instability doesn't return.

These are my observations, which are pretty dumb (intentionally) since I don't know how the program works... Hope this helps.

Thanks for your information. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this problem.

Round and round the discussion goes.  Bottom line:  Big muscle is the only one with the skills and motivation to bring Aero Glass back to Windows, and his policies on using his software are his alone to set.  We should all just be happy he's made this software available to us at all.  Without it, I honestly wouldn't have given Win 8 or 10 a second look.

Now, to keep this on topic...

I've been testing a few days with 10586 (as of yesterday 10586.14), doing light work in Win 10, and I have to say I haven't seen even one problem with the experimental 1.4.2.506 version of Aero Glass for Win 8.1+.  I'm using my theme atlas and also your ModernFrame and UxThemeSignatureBypass dlls.  It all seems to look nicely integrated and it runs pretty solid here.  Even though it's a debug version it actually improves desktop performance a tiny bit to have it in place, believe it or not.

The only thing that has caught my eye - and it's most likely Windows' doing, not yours bigmuscle - is that after a few minutes of leaving Windows 10 just sitting idle after booting/logging-in, the C:\Windows\system32\ApplicationFrameHost.exe window pops open all by itself.  Perhaps some App is causing ApplicationFrameHost.exe to run autonomously.  If that's the case I have no other Apps remaining besides the Settings App.  I have yet to be able to figure out why it's being run.

-Noel

Noel, have you ever tried to run the app with 2 monitors as I did? I have this instability (look at my correspondence with Bigmuscle) that practically prevents my using this app. I sent to Bigmuscle a video clip showing it and described it as best I could. Unfortunately, Bigmuscle is unable to reproduce it. Maybe you can and if you do you'll be able to see what the problem is.

I have run it on 3 monitors (a central 2560 x 1600 display and two 1600 x 1200 displays on the sides, turned up 90 degrees).   So far, I've not seen a problem with this particular configuration, but it's a given I don't have the same hardware setup you have, nor do I use Nexus.  Notably all my monitors are set to the same scale.

As a bit of a stress test just now, since you asked, I opened up quite a few windows, and moved them all around on the 3 monitors without any problems...

ScreenGrab_W10_11_27_2015_064630.png

-Noel

I have run it on 3 monitors (a central 2560 x 1600 display and two 1600 x 1200 displays on the sides, turned up 90 degrees).   So far, I've not seen a problem with this particular configuration, but it's a given I don't have the same hardware setup you have, nor do I use Nexus.  Notably all my monitors are set to the same scale.

As a bit of a stress test just now, since you asked, I opened up quite a few windows, and moved them all around on the 3 monitors without any problems...

ScreenGrab_W10_11_27_2015_064630.png

-Noel

Noel, Thanks very much for this experiment. I am really at loss about what may be the problem that causes this instability at my setup. My hardware does not differ significantly from yours regarding CPU and RAM. I am using on-board video Intel 4600, I don't know what is yours. Software wise I use Firefox and not the IE or Edge. Versions of Windows and AeroGlass are the same (goes without saying). Display scale, in my case, is also set to 100% on both monitors. I have removed the Nexus and the same as you i'm using the Classic Start. I rechecked the registry settings - everything is set as in the Bigmuscle's guide, including definitions for AppInit_DLLs.

Interesting, there is another version of Aeroglass around on the Net. I haven't been able to find out where it originates from. It's available on several sites. Well, this version is completely stable on my computer, although it has no blur and your theme does not have the effects it has with the BM's last one.

I attach it here, so if anybody is in the mood to try it - please do.https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3622EFE518296C3!444&authkey=!ANuzVyuzHjOl7D0&ithint=file%2czip

With regard to the fact that it is not said anywhere that donation will remove watermark/copyright notice and even my conditions explicitly say that you have no claim to get anything for your donation, it is only YOUR problem if you construe something which is not written anywhere.

Well, let's say that if someone actually READs what has been written on MSFN, he/she might get that impression :whistle:, I mean ;):

If you want to remove desktop watermark, read this page: http://glass8.eu/support.php

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173139-read-first/?p=1090811

About adacom I completely disagree with dhjohns and Kel :w00t:, there is not (yet) a Law or board Rule preventing people from expressing their own opinion on something, the point here (as bigmuscle stated) is that adacom's opinion has been already expressed several times and going over it again again and again is a bit tiring. 

But by the same token, bigmuscle's obsession about insisting to call NOT things with their name is tiring, but all in all the good thing is that it creates a nice, symmetrical situation.

More or less it goes like:

• It's nagware.
  • No it is not, it is donationware.
  • No, it is nagware.
  • No you are free to donate.
  • No I am not as I want to get rid of the watermark.
  • But you donate to support the development, not to remove the watermark.
  • But since when I donate I get rid of the watermark, I am not donating but buying the privilege of removing the watermark.
  • No, you are donating because you want to support the development of the tool.
  • No, I am donating to get rid of the watermark.
  • That's your problem, donation is for support of development.
  • But it effectively removes the nag.
  • But this happens because you supported the development.
  • Not really, this happens because I payed for a license of it.
  • No, you are not getting a license, you get consideration for having contributed to development.
  • So it's nagware.
  • No, it is not, it is donationware.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Might it help to think of glass8.eu as a Christmas gift, with bigmuscle filling the role of St. Nick, seeing to it that the nicest toys get to the GOOD little boys and girls, while avoiding the Grinch and his lawyers?

So leave him some milk and cookies.

-Noel

I am surprised that in an experimental development thread the developer must waste time and focus with reading and also responding to posts like adacoms. It is clear that posts like that are fabricated by ignorance itself and thus are supposed to be ignored.

On the other hand I need to agree on one point!

As a "gratitude" for so called "donation" providing special software alterations and changes in its behavior, adding/removing features compared to the original free downloadable distribution and still calling it donation... Well that is just... I am trying to find the right words here which would not be insulting... Well let's just say that such approach is not suitable for a decent developer who is not completely shameless and still has some backbone.

I certainly hope someone cleans this thread of bigmuscle complaints. This thread is supposed to be a discussion of the experimental build. All these complaints about bigmuscle are totally unnecessary, and completely irrelevant. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Someone started a thread about how bad Windows sucks, perhaps if you guys want to complain about bigmuscle you should start a thread about him. This talk about his business model has gone on forever. The fact is that it is HIS business model, and it works. If you don't like it, oh well. It is NOT bigmuscle's problem, it is YOUR problem.

Edited by dhjohns

Might it help to think of glass8.eu as a Christmas gift, with bigmuscle filling the role of St. Nick, seeing to it that the nicest toys get to the GOOD little boys and girls, while avoiding the Grinch and his lawyers?

So leave him some milk and cookies.

-Noel

there must be a good answer to that - surely  :}