License restriction complaints and questions

adacom

this all adds questions to the licence model to me - is the whole thing manual - certainly it sounds like it - send a donation and i [bm] will/may] reward you with some keys - so how does that work - sounds like a manual process to me

recycle a key and you will get a new one in 30 [ish] days - again that sounds manual - so people have paid a licences fee - sorry made a donation and they may or may not have a working key into the future if BM gets fed up of the whole thing

how ever its wrapped up people expect a licence to work into the future - its accepted that updates from Microsoft may break the software - thats the nature of it - but its neither expected or acceptable that the key may become invalid 

Edited by adacom

why is there a delay at all - do they have to be processed manually - if so a delay is reasonable as no one would expect BM or whoever to be there 24/7 - but if its an automatic process then it should be there and then??

From what I understand the way the keys work this idea would make it easy to install on a bunch of systems with a tiny donation

you will have to expand on that - not sure i understand

I think BM might only have aero check once in awhile for validiy. So in theory with no delay a person could install and register aero then lock the system down. Then rinse and repeat on many systems. It's a fairly common exploit.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

why is there a delay at all...

This question has already been answered by Kelsenellenelvian.

But the real question should be why is there a possibility to regenerate new key. Should it be really allowed? Shouldn't the key amount be fixed to donation amount? I just didn't want to limit users so much, so I added this possibility but I had to do something to avoid abusing. But it is what I said in one of the last posts - regardless what I do, users will still complain "why is there...".

why is there a delay at all...

This question has already been answered by Kelsenellenelvian.

But the real question should be why is there a possibility to regenerate new key. Should it be really allowed? Shouldn't the key amount be fixed to donation amount? I just didn't want to limit users so much, so I added this possibility but I had to do something to avoid abusing. But it is what I said in one of the last posts - regardless what I do, users will still complain "why is there...".

surely the real question is why is a key blacklisted when a user who has paid for a licence changes something in his pc - and thats what they have done however you wrap the donation model up - i have many programs i have paid for and the agreement is i use it on one computer - some of those license amounts are many hundreds of pounds - there is in many cases no check - just trust - here we have software that has minimum cost and the user has few rights if any - its a stuck record but the whole thing is ridiculous - put a price on a key and thats it - the object is money flow not helping the user or seems so - if there is another reason as has been suggested - pain from Microsoft or whatever then say it and people would accept that 

The biggest misunderstanding, which I have been repeating for milliontimes, is that you don't pay for the license. If you don't accept it and you still think that you are paying for license than you simply violate the conditions which you had to accept before donation and, in fact, it is only user's problem.

Actually, there are many software which display some copyright statements. We have software where we had to pay several thousands of euros for 1 license and it still display copyright statement and we don't simply care. Why? Because we paid for software usage and not for copyright message removal. And that's why I will always say that this software is free, because you don't have to pay anything to get the promised Aero Glass effect and all other promised features. The software does not contain ANY limitation of its promised functionality. You still don't agree? Then show me some law which says that free software is not allowed to display copyright statement. As I said manytimes, the possibility to remove such statement is only my "thanks" for user's contribution. So, in fact, there is no limitation on the software but only the bonuses. One proverb could be applicable here - I give you a finger and you want to bite me whole hand.

But maybe, I should accept your complain and change the policy to what other software does, e.g. SW by Stardock - limit functionality to 30 days only, limit many features to paid license only and request new payment for each major version. Would it be acceptable? I believe that users would complain again.

the possibility to remove such statement is only my "thanks" for user's contribution. So, in fact, there is no limitation on the software but only the bonuses.

Yeah, let‘s imagine how our desktops would look like if every free app would put a watermark in the right bottom corner of the screen...

Yeah, let‘s imagine how our desktops would look like if every free app would put a watermark in the right bottom corner of the screen...

No prob, you could super-impose something like a sticky note on that.

As long as you do not overdo it:

sticky-notes-on-monitor.jpg

it is a simple solution ;) to this non-problem :yes:.

jaclaz

I never understand this complaint. Maybe it comes down to personal usage, but when I am using my computers I rarely am just viewing the desktop.

the possibility to remove such statement is only my "thanks" for user's contribution. So, in fact, there is no limitation on the software but only the bonuses.

Of course, you are right, I cannot deny it. But as I know, no other free app does it, thus such situation never happens and that's the point ;)

Also, as Tripredacus said, when working on the computer, how often do you view the bottom right corner of the desktop? I don't see it most of the time (and I can even say that I have always this watermark displayed in my own build and it does not disturb me in any way).

Of course, you are right, I cannot deny it. But as I know, no other free app does it, thus such situation never happens and that's the point ;)

Also, as Tripredacus said, when working on the computer, how often do you view the bottom right corner of the desktop? I don't see it most of the time (and I can even say that I have always this watermark displayed in my own build and it does not disturb me in any way).

Thinking of this now, a dialog at user log on is actually more annoying than a watermark on desktop which is no longer seen so frequently as in Windows XP. Of course, having these two showing up every time you turn on your PC can be annoying but it‘s something that regular users can learn to deal with as this is better than 30 day trial or a demo version of Aero Glass. Well, anyway, I was talking from perfectionist side in my message above.

• 11 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 3:05 AM, bigmuscle said:

But maybe, I should accept your complain and change the policy to what other software does, e.g. SW by Stardock - limit functionality to 30 days only, limit many features to paid license only and request new payment for each major version. Would it be acceptable? I believe that users would complain again.

I understand bigmuscle's problem with complaints.  They are annoying, and I know because as I've said before I had a retail business for 24 years and of course I didn't enjoy complaints, especially ones that weren't justified.  If they were justified I wasn't happy, but I didn't blame the customer, just did my best to remedy the problem, and was glad when it was resolved.  However, there is one bit of advice I'd like to give to those who are troubled by complaints, and it comes from one of our most admired past American presidents, Harry Truman, and what he said many times was: 'If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!'

Edited by genecooper

I personally think Big Muscle's model is fine.

I have been using this software since the very beginning on several systems - hardware and virtual - and I just don't see any problems with it.

I donated testing time, some theme atlas resources, and a few $$ a while back.  I've taken the time to understand the expectations and restrictions on every version - that's been a simple matter of reading a few forum posts.  Sometimes I have had to deal with watermarks and debug consoles, and those were expected.  Minimizing a few windows is no big deal. 

People making watermarks and pop-up windows out to be serious problems must be living charmed lives indeed.  Or are 12 and think the world owes them something.

All it takes is to just read what's posted and to THINK just a little bit.

The ONLY thing I can recall that's ever gone wrong for me is that not long ago I forgot my password on Big Muscle's site, and I ultimately had to ask him to reset it for me - which he did graciously, in less than a day.  That's pretty darned good support if you ask me.

At the moment the desktop of my Win 8.1 workstation, which I use every day for many hours, is graced with Aero Glass and an alternate Aero7 theme (possible to load courtesy of Big Muscle's UXThemeSignatureBypass DLLs) that is pleasant to use, instead of Microsoft's ridiculously frustrating lifeless, flat look.  And it just runs and runs, without faults.  I've paid thousands of dollars for other software that isn't this reliable.

What an awesome little product Aero Glass for Win 8+ is for making our every day of computer use just a little bit more tolerable.

Perhaps there's something special about me, but from where I sit, it's all good

-Noel

Yeah, Gosh.

When I bought my new tablet to replace my long standing laptop- it took almost minutes to remember how to log in to BM's website- and get another key.

d***, I paid a nominal donation fee 3 years ago... How could Bigmuscle make a profit giving me another key?, Maybe there is more to it than that.

Another desktop saved from the white noise. Glass just finishes it off.

:rolleyes:

Thanks BM.

Edit, All my systems listed in my signature run a version of AeroGlass. It just works perfectly.

Edited by ralcool
well actually...

On 12. 10. 2016 at 9:36 PM, NoelC said:

I personally think Big Muscle's model is fine.

Thanks... at the beginning, I was not sure whether my licensing model is correct, it was only a small experiment that I would probably change if it was needed. But... after 3 years of my Aero Glass life, I'm totally convinced that it is 100% acceptable. And only a few internet trolls are still complaining about it - persons who still trying to attack me with vulgar claims just because of a small watermark on the desktop and creating totally false statements about me, Aero Glass and the licensing model. And it makes no sense to change anything just becuase of them.

Sometimes, I'm thinking about creating a library with best trolls' jokes. This is something new:

I think he deliberately makes it so Glass8 breaks on Insider builds.

:w00t: