Is windows XP really obsolete?

TechKitten 360+

It would be hilarious! I mean, seriously, think about it: you are surfing internet and you open an infected site and you get a malware. Then, the program autoextract itself and automatically set itself into the autoload folder, then it starts, and... °plin plon°, a pop-up appears saying: name of the malware.exe "error, API getthreadID failed to load". So you just have to search such a program with windows search and remove the malware. It would be really hilarious! XD

Edited by FranceBB

I should think that any OS that isn't mainstream is no longer the target for today's malware/virus authors, and so the "mainstream" malware, which most likely does pretty specific things crafted just for the systems on which it expects to infect, would likely not run successfully.

That being said, the mainstream AV software makers have long since left behind definitions for malware that was only known to infect the older systems, just so they can rank highly in the AV comparison charts for speed and resource usage. 

I wonder if there has been a resurgence of older malware since the AV software stopped looking...

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Considering that one of the current requirements for packing Crayola crayons (at least locally) is the ability to competently use a windows 2000 and/or NT (4) computer, imo makes the XP obsolete question on a business level silly. (No I do not pack crayons fyi)

58 minutes ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Kinda late

The only issue related to Windows XP I'm experiencing is incapability of working with Samsung Galaxy phones even with Kies installed.

WinUSB 2.0 is need  to be installed with user mode driver framework and kernel mode driver framework.

I also faced same problem a while few days back with my fathers Galaxy note 3 Neo

Are you having lolypop or later android version?

SamSungUSB DRiver :: https://androidmtk.com/download-samsung-usb-drivers

any way all above i mentioned and with kies and following driver should solve

If any problem arise , feel free to PM Me

Edited by Dibya

Each person has his/her own needs and expectations...

Some found XP insufficient even when it was at its peak of support and have looked to newer systems to provide additional capacity and stability.

Others have found 32 bit XP a good fit for their computing needs and have used it beneficially in all the time since.  There's a lot to be said for an operating system environment remaining stable for the better part of 2 decades.  For one thing, it gives us the richness of the applications that have been developed for it, which may be Windows single greatest strength.

There are clearly still things XP users are polishing up today, and XP enthusiasts are still getting better at using it and managing it.

The important thing is that XP and subsequent Windows releases are all derivatives of the virtual memory system architecture first pioneered by Dave Cutler for Digital Equipment Corporation operating systems in the 1970s, then re-implemented for Microsoft as NT in the 1990s.  It's a testament to the timeless goodness of the design of that architecture that even today the kernel refuses to crumple under the oppressive weight of the garbage Microsoft has been hanging all over it.

-Noel

Really true XP is Really Stable OS and It is very fast due to its lightweight character in nature far faster than windows 7/8.1/10.

Reason it refuses to die after a 2decades

Windows XP is based on Server Standard Kernel .

If some one donot like it look no problem , XP has millions of theme ling in web also few hundreds of transformation packs.

Windows XP Forever!!!!

• 3 months later...
On 10/18/2015 at 4:00 PM, submix8c said:

"Are old people really obsolete?"

No. They still function quite well, thank you.

And, yes, some of us take certain medicines to prevent "viruses" and keep certain protections to prevent "trojans".

Currently, the XP Updates (medicine/protections) have been archived across the WWW, intact, taken directly from MS. If you wish to have them all (just in case you need them, like "medicine"), ask and we'll give a link to a Downloader that will get them for you (your very own copy).

If you still know where to get all the updates in a downloader- then please send me the link, as lately my windows update on XP has not worked, and that is on SP3 from Microsoft.

21 hours ago, TechKitten 360+ said:

lately my windows update on XP has not worked, and that is on SP3 from Microsoft.

In addition to what @dencorso said above, you may also need to enable TLS 1.0 in Internet Explorer options as the WU website no longer accepts SSL 2.0/3.0 secure connections.

Internet Options > Advanced tab > Security section (scroll to the very bottom) > check Use TLS 1.0. For improved security, it's also good to uncheck Use SSL 3.0 and especially Use SSL 2.0 - unless you need to visit any specific websites not capable of anything better. I'd recommend unchecking both and turning them back on only if some site actually stops working after that.

Edited by mixit
finally figured out how to do user mentions properly...

3 hours ago, mixit said:

In addition to what @dencorso said above, you may also need to enable TLS 1.0 in Internet Explorer options as the WU website no longer accepts SSL 2.0/3.0 secure connections.

Internet Options > Advanced tab > Security section (scroll to the very bottom) > check Use TLS 1.0. For improved security, it's also good to uncheck Use SSL 3.0 and especially Use SSL 2.0 - unless you need to visit any specific websites not capable of anything better. I'd recommend unchecking both and turning them back on only if some site actually stops working after that.

This is correct, SSL 3.0 does not work any longer, websites are looking for TLS.

When using Internet Explorer 6 on XP (only for legacy testing), my college Outlook 365 does not load with SSL, only TLS.

ol365ssl.jpg

ol365tls.jpg