Is windows XP really obsolete?

TechKitten 360+

Just to add that the older version of Malwarebytes v1.75 still works with Windows XP SP3 ... the newer version also works but I like the older version feel and look. I'm not sure about earlier versions of XP.

You don't have to upgrade when getting database updates for the older 1.75 version, you need to take out the checkmarks under the "Settings " tab.

Go to "Settings" ... then go to "Updater Settings" and uncheck :

Download and install program update if available ...

I also uncheck:

Notify me when a program update is ready for installation

It should work just fine on XP SP3.

I am running XP sp3 with Quick Heal total Secuirity Installed.

Thank a lot to nlite

Slim down XP ,Tweak it, use  good antivirus and enjoy

Windows 10 come preinstalled with spyware

After installation of few windows update 7/8/8.1 also going to have those spyware.

I have no single isue with XP

Xp is best

Xp Forever

In my opinion, Windows 10 is the equivalent of a "law" being passed without the "voter" having a say in the matter. People should never be strongarmed into having something, regardless if it is free or not. That is not freedom. It's a terrible way to run a business, and I think it will cost Micosoft some future customers.

Yep, this reeks of a coup d'etat!

• 4 weeks later...

I remember 'just' ten years ago I was in lower grade school and thought XP was just the coolest thing on the block. It was right at the time where "old" computers were still useful, but slowly being more and more outmoded. 

After around 2007, I just became disillusioned with progress. It really dawned on me it was only "change for the sake of change," and not because of any grating issue. 

For the record, I am a STRONG proponent of the adage, "it works, and its paid for." We see this attitude continually in the IT world, and beyond. The example here is, of course, from the airline industry: Back in the 1990's when everyone was selling up their DC-9 fleets, Northwest Airlines *were* cash-strapped. They couldn't afford newer aircraft in large quantities, and found their efficiency was moot on most very short hops being operated. 

So, Northwest went shopping - for planes already 15-20 years old, put them through heavy maintenance, added new navigation features, new cabins. Basically, you couldn't tell the difference (aside from noise...) with a new Boeing 717, a DC-9 replacement. 

Northwest *also* did the same with their DC-10 fleet, supplmenting them with additional aircraft until they could finally get the Airbus planes they wanted. 

Wow... Off the rails much?

As has been stated above, "outmoded" and "obsolete" are HIGHLY subjective terms. If something still does exactly what you want in an acceptable manner? NO, it is NOT obsolete. 

My iPhone 3GS cost me $100 in early 2013 (second-hand). Purchased new just months prior for several hundred dollars. I still have it now in late 2015, despite the fact we've reached the iPhone 6S+20919496919498104981049820 and iOS Umpteen-Trillion. It still fetches my Email when I'm out, Syncs my Calendars, Sends iMessages and standard SMS' and makes and receives calls. 

As a result, I am contemplating buying broken units for spares. I fail to see the point in "upgrading" to a +$1000 phone only for it to do the SAME task. 

For web usage, older OS' ought to be treated with caution.

Treat links with suspicion, scan files with online anti-virus pieces, or your own solutions. Keep a newer machine for sensitive operations, if need be. 

However, at this point in time, MOST routers/modems have rudimentary firewalls.

MOST should have "NAT," Network Address Translation - which essentially hides your computer from unprovoked attacks, unless you download malicious software unknowingly. 

The new IPv6 standards they want us to adopt just so happen to remove NAT, which for the home user is disastrous: Your computer now has a PUBLIC IP address - not a modem with a public IP, that then assigns your machine a PRIVATE IP for local communication.

That scares me. This is all done in the name of "making things easier." Well, excuse me, but 99% of home users aren't wizards, and don't need easy configuration of networking components that occur over the internet (i.e. VPN, Proxy, HTTP/HTTPS Servers etcetera, etcetera). 

Apologies for the soap-boxing. However, it seems we each have a sensitive point on the subject of "obsolescence," whether planned or simply pointless. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/12/2015 at 7:41 PM, Tommy said:

Absolutely not. XP is not obsolete, not even with SP2. Vanilla or SP1, more than likely that would be a yes. SP2 added a big, important component, a firewall.

<TRUNCATED>

As for SP3, I don't think I'd necessarily jump to it. Most hardware that does support XP requires SP3 but if you don't need it, I don't think I'd necessarily install it unless you're having problems with security. I never really liked SP3 myself, it just felt a bit clunky.

I agree that XP SP2 is not obsolete, depending on what you're using it for. That being said, it is getting harder / more difficult to do certain things on XP without SP3.

Adobe Flash Player 20 and later require a minimum of SP3, otherwise the installer won't run and you'll be stuck at 19.0.0.245. Office 2010 requires a minimum of SP3 to install, and most hardware you buy at Best Buy or any electronics are only "supported" under XP SP3 and later. If you look at the system requirements you'll see SP3 listed but not SP2.

Also, Internet Explorer 6.0 cannot load secure SSL websites without SP3 because SP3 is the first version that supports SHA 2 in XP.

With SP3:

ol365tls.jpg

Without SP3:

ol365ssl.jpg

Again, it really depends on how up to date you need your software to be.

Edited by sdfox7

True. I even tried to force to install the latest NVIDIA drivers for some graphic cards in SP2 back in 2012 and I perfectly remember the ones for the GTX 650 working without any issues, even though NVIDIA officially supported SP3 only and blocked the installation in the normal installer. That said, I think it's pretty reasonable to install SP3 and get POS ready updates if you are surfing internet regularly otherwise SP2 is perfectly fine and faster. 

Dedoimedo gives a progress report on XP two years into EOS.

And what about security?

Ah, as always, the most over-ultra-extra-hyped thing in the industry. Nothing breeds headlines and profit like sensationalist headlines. And in this case, all the talk about how your virginity will disappear come the end of Windows XP support is equally spectacular. But the thing is, there's nothing too special about this really.

--JorgeA

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

I bet Adobe Flash Player 20 can be edited to work on sp2. And when one can run Office 2000, why lose time and get irritated trying to run any later version?

I only run Office 2000, I have the 2003 as well but never uver use it. Have yet to see any reason to change that.

17 hours ago, dencorso said:

I bet Adobe Flash Player 20 can be edited to work on sp2. And when one can run Office 2000, why lose time and get irritated trying to run any later version?

I agree this is likely possible to do if you were to extract the files manually to system directories. However, for the sake of simplicity, especially for any non-techie, SP3 is the way to go. However, the Adobe Forums notes that XP SP2 has outdated cryptographic cetificates, and recommends installing SP3.

Latest Flash Player installer does not run- XP SP2

As far as Office goes, I'm using the original Office XP Professional (2002) version that came with my ThinkPad. Simply install the Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office System Files (fileformatconverters.exe) and you are good to go. That pack will work on any version of Office 2000 or newer (2000, XP 2002, and 2003).

In many cases all is needed is to "spoof" the Service Pack level by editing the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDversion

0x200=SP2
0x300=SP3

and/or data in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

(these latter should be only "visual" :unsure:)

https://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002005.html

http://gtaforums.com/topic/378989-will-it-run-on-service-pack-2/

Of course YMMV.

jaclaz

That's true, even though some programs will end up with a blue screen that way (e.g media player classic portable). In other words, that will definitely allow you to run programs that just ask for SP3 but don't actually require it, and will make programs that require SP3 for real end up in a blue screen. ;)

6 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

As far as Office goes, I'm using the original Office XP Professional (2002) version that came with my ThinkPad. Simply install the Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office System Files (fileformatconverters.exe) and you are good to go. That pack will work on any version of Office 2000 or newer (2000, XP 2002, and 2003).

Sure. And, despite what MS says, it works equally well for Office 97, too. :P
However, one must take care to  avoid GIFIMP32.FLT 2003.1100.8327.0 from KB2479871, which refuses to import GIFs for Office-97. GIFIMP32.FLT 2003.1100.8165.0 from KB924090 is the last one known to work with Office-97, and must be used instead.

I wonder when we will encounter some really problematic malware (like widely spread ransomware) that will be incompatible with older OSes like NT 5 based and THEN WHAT security-oriented forced updates lovers :P