Is windows XP really obsolete?

TechKitten 360+

Absolutely not. XP is not obsolete, not even with SP2. Vanilla or SP1, more than likely that would be a yes. SP2 added a big, important component, a firewall.

Now, time for a bit of a rant about XP and MS.

Microsoft is just telling you it is obsolete so that you have to shell out more money to buy a newer, inferior OS from them. Windows 2000 is my day to day main operating system and while a few things are getting harder to do with it, I wouldn't consider it obsolete. The only thing that makes it obsolete is all the random doodads that really don't mean anything. I won't get for the life of me how Microsoft Office cannot run on Windows XP anymore, what was truly added to it to make it not run anymore? My money is on nothing, that they just added just enough new extensions so that it calls upon dlls that do not exist in XP. It's exactly the same kernel, from NT to now, it's the same dang thing except up and sometimes downgraded, like the last OSs that came out. Windows 2000 and Windows XP are literally the same OS except for some enhancements to XP but many of the inner workings come straight from 2000 itself. But there was such a big compatibility difference between the two since somehow XP incorporated 9x workings as well so that many programs for 9x could also run without the error messages from being an NT OS which was a big problem in the 90s. But I'm elaborating too much.

Honestly, I don't care what people say. It has aged a lot, yes. But it has aged gracefully. There is really no reason why Windows XP cannot be used for another 10 years. Security holes will always exist, there will never been an entirely iron clad OS, there will always be security updates and hotfixes. As XP becomes more incompatible, it'll probably take the same route as Windows 98 where many new worms and viruses will not run simply because it requires dlls that do not exist. There might be things that will always harm the OS, but worms generally attack what is being ran the most throughout the world. XP might still be a target now since many computers still run the OS, but so many have jumped ship to Windows 7, 8, and even 10, that attacking XP won't be economical for them to do anymore, which is what I believe Windows 98 is at right now. It just doesn't make sense to make backwards code for it simply because few people run it anymore, and if they do, some aren't even online with those machines. Many people on here will run XP until there's nothing in the world that will not run it anymore just because they are that diehard of a user. It's not because they're stubborn, it's because they prefer to stay on what works for them. As far as I'm concerned, NT6 is a resource hog and slows down quickly after a while if you do too many projects with the machine, especially video editing and the like. That's my two cents though.

As for SP3, I don't think I'd necessarily jump to it. Most hardware that does support XP requires SP3 but if you don't need it, I don't think I'd necessarily install it unless you're having problems with security. I never really liked SP3 myself, it just felt a bit clunky.

Edited by Tommy

Begin rant:

I choose to use XP SP2 because it is the baseline for most software today, such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Most software companies no longer write programs for SP1 or older, and modern programs will fail to install and run. I also find it to be much faster than SP3 on older machines.

While the security of XP SP2 is up for debate, I am an experienced computer user and have been running unsupported operating systems for years with no viruses or infections. It really comes down to being a wise user and avoiding social engineering attacks. Even the most up to date Windows can be attacked if the user is foolish.

That being said, XP SP3 is listed as the minimum requirement for many hardware items such as brand new printers and USB 3.0 equipment. Most computer hardware you buy at the store today will have XP SP3 listed as the minimum requirement. This does not necessarily mean it won't work on SP1/SP2; it means that the manufacturers may not help you/are not obligated to help you if you are running SP1/SP2 when you call them for support.

Also, if you use Internet Explorer 6.0/7.0/8.0 on XP, you will be unable to access secure https:// websites unless you install SP3. This is because IE SHA compatibility is dependent on the underlying OS, and XP SP2 and older are not SHA 2 compatible. Again, the way around this is to install SP3, or use SP2 with a current browser like Chrome or Firefox. I prefer to use alternate browsers since they are safer.

If you wish to have the most current security updates for XP through 2014, you should run SP3. Otherwise, SP2 will do the job.

End rant.

Edited by sdfox7

I don't think that it is obsolete. I am still using Windows XP RTM.  :yes: 

I still have modern browser access, I still can play games, I still can listen to music, I still can use it as my main computer.  :D 

I wonder, during later years before MS orphaned XP, many updates were offered. Do I have to worry about there being updates that I ought to have but won't get when I reinststall from my Sp3 CD?

Software is generally written for operating systems at the service pack level. Don't forget, XP Service Pack 2 was patched for over six years, from 2004 through 2010. Service Pack 3 was also patched for about six years, 2008 through 2014.

It shouldn't matter whether you are running SP3 RTM from 2008, or a fully patched SP3 through April 8, 2014. If a program wants SP3, that's all it looks for.

There is one exception to this: old operating systems. The most recent time I saw specific patch requirements was with Windows 2000; some programs are dependent on KB891861, also known as the Rollup for Service Pack 4. Avast Antivirus is one such program.

A. Windows Xp is not obsolete at all.

B. The update with the anti-virus software ( that annoying shield ) is basically part of the anti-privacy situation. Apparently one of those

questions they ask you is about your anti-virus software and why is it down. Obviously you want to use such questionable programs.

C. XP also have a number of tools that could be used against you as well. Such as a search command built in that could retrieve files from almost any directory, and is presented. This exploit can be turned off but is still presented with files bearing the issue. It is almost scary how many other files in XP have this pointer that could allow almost anybody to obtain your files.

D. Unlike UNIX which sees the root, with XP your never in ROOT. Instead XP ( NT ) just zones off various areas of your computer. Reason why we allways had an NT/9X version. The 9X version was back when anti-privacy was not an issue but almost anybody with enough know how could access your files on your 9X machine. NT is not like that.

E. With so many internet exploits from Cookies, trojans, and what nots. I probably have a couple presented on my XP install. I have an anti-virus and have been finding old Trojans with many official software I was using 24/7 a long long time ago.

F. Again with the anti-privacy laws ( see Snowden words "internet privacy should go back to 1995" ) the government wants to force you to have that stupid shield up, AND they do not want you to manipulate the anti-virus to block them.

G. An announcement by ( your favorite three letter word agency ) basically said they have been collecting peoples private conversations, videos, and what nots via the patriot act.

Microsoft basically sold Americas and the world privacy out.

To the Op, XP is more usable then 98 unless the security fixes on the 98 is the same as XP. XP has more security for internet users that 9X does not have. Going throught the forums I was reading about how Vista now have retroactive spy-ware being installed by microsoft ( trying to turn the Desktop into an r-tard ( GPS ) phone. The GPS or even CDMA phones have lack of privacy in the contract you sign. Simular to an creation of a bank account, same with Fiber Optics as well.

We had it made back then with XP folks until President Obama was elected from my understanding. I have to say this as Bush screwed over everybody and Obama was left with a wrecked flag. All of this anti-privacy was planned out along with anti-privacy laws.

Edited by ROTS

Obsolete is a subjective word. I don't want to sound pedantic, but as long as a computer program (or anything else in life) continues to serve the purpose for which it was designed, it is not obsolete. I think Microsoft's heyday ended after Windows XP, and possibly even earlier.

Windows 7 users are automatically being force-upgraded to Windows 10 because of what Microsoft claims is a mistake. People have specifically chosen not to download the update, and it continues to download itself for installation at a later time. Also, no matter how many times a user hides the "optional" update, it keeps coming back. I hope Microsoft gets sued for this type of behavior (ha, maybe I will) by a corporation whose programs all stop working because they are incompatible with Windows 10. I will never use Windows 10, but this type of behavior is egregious.

In my opinion, Windows 10 is the equivalent of a "law" being passed without the "voter" having a say in the matter. People should never be strongarmed into having something, regardless if it is free or not. That is not freedom. It's a terrible way to run a business, and I think it will cost Micosoft some future customers.

I don't consider myself a treehugger, but we simply live in a world of planned obsolescence, where companies (and us consumers) have no regard for waste or environmental consequences. CCFL lightbulbs may be more energy efficient, but they poison the groundwater with mercury if not disposed of correctly.

Edited by sdfox7

Obsolete is a subjective word. I don't want to sound pedantic, but as long as a computer program (or anything else in life) continues to serve the purpose for which it was designed, it is not obsolete. I think Microsoft's heyday ended after Windows XP, and possibly even earlier.

THIS! Right here. I have been saying this forever. As long as something meets your needs, it is not obsolete. Obsolete is only defined by its user, not by the public in general.

I don't consider myself a treehugger, but we simply live in a world of planned obsolescence, where companies (and us consumers) have no regard for waste or environmental consequences. CCFL lightbulbs may be more energy efficient, but they poison the groundwater with mercury if not disposed of correctly.

I hate those bulbs. Why do they care about energy efficiency when we as the consumer pay the bill? I pay my electric bill, shouldn't I have a choice of how little or how much electricity I want to use? I want to use what works, not what someone tells me I have to. I guess that's why I stick to 2000/98 too. Planned obsolescence really is a big problem. If those energy efficient people 'care' so much about the environment, why do they make such trash that breaks in a year or two? Yes, they want us to buy more and more from them...but our landfills are just getting fuller and fuller. Does that sound environmental to you? I don't think so!! It's all about control, that's all it is. From our appliances to our operating systems. It's all about control. Besides, companies in the past could still make money and things lasted a heck of a lot longer than they do now....so what is the problem today...greed?

Talking of light bulbs, maybe the newish LED based technology is actually a progress, but all these years with "energy saving" fluorescent bulbs have been in my view a definite step backwards when it comes to global sustainability.

Good ol' incandescence light bulbs were just some little metal (brass+teeny-tiny quantities of tungsten and tin) and "pure" glass, whilst fluorescent bulbs (and built-in starter) contain any kind of polluting substances and are a rather serious environmental hazard if not disposed of properly.

Besides (and yes, among the things I do in my "real" life/job I do cost analysis for buildings and their costs of maintenance) the lifetimes of those fluorescent bulbs has been greatly (and I mean GREATLY) exaggerated, in my experience on average they last less than half what is stated (in hours of life), as they either stop lighting up or provide a much smaller light flux (when compared to the one they provided at install time/new) in a relatively short time. 

Back to topic:

is windows XP really obsolete?

No. :no:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

"Are old people really obsolete?"

No. They still function quite well, thank you.

And, yes, some of us take certain medicines to prevent "viruses" and keep certain protections to prevent "trojans".

Currently, the XP Updates (medicine/protections) have been archived across the WWW, intact, taken directly from MS. If you wish to have them all (just in case you need them, like "medicine"), ask and we'll give a link to a Downloader that will get them for you (your very own copy).

I can't even remember a time when I did not have a XP, and before that a 2k machine running around the clock. No problems so far. But I like to archive things that might come in handy someday. Use PM if you don't want to publish the link.

I'm using XP home sp3 right now, with all updates up to 2014 installed, as long as you can get an antivirus that has up to date definitions and current browsers I don't see why it cant fufill my needs for many years to come.

Edited by OldSchool38