Microsoft killing classic control panel in Win 10?

DaveImagery

I don't need classic Control panel. I mean I don't need ALL elements. Usually I use about 10  things like compmgmt, regedit.exe, eventvwr.msc, mmsys.cpl sounds and so on.

All these links I have placed on my taskbar with only ONE button "Control panel". If I click it with left mouse button, it opens Control Panel. If I press right mouse button, it shoes JumpLists with all usefull commands.

Check this tool here.

Correction:  You'll stay with Win 7 SP1 until such time as Microsoft's persistence and subversiveness exceeds your ability to block them.  There will likely come a time when they will not longer allow your older system to remain activated.

I don't mean this as a criticism.  I believe they can and will overwhelm us all sooner or later, no matter what our skill levels.  They are a determined, motivated adversary who have something we don't:  The source code.

Don't kid yourself, if we're here, online, clearly we need our systems to work online.  That will be more and more difficult with an older system until such time as our hands will be forced.  Though I've advocated a complete cutoff of Windows Updates, I'm now starting to re-think that, since there are things that absolutely must be done online.  For example, if you install new software, its certificate may need to be validated online for it to work properly.

-Noel

I understand W7 will not last forever all good things must come to an end; weather it a natural death or MS chopping limbs off one after another. In the last couple of months I have moved to Windows 8.1 as my primary system and I have been continuing to keep up with the latest versions of Fedora and Ubuntu in the event that I decide it is time to move back. I will always use a Windows system on some level, but maybe not at full capacity.

Edited by helpdesk98

Don't kid yourself, if we're here, online, clearly we need our systems to work online.  That will be more and more difficult with an older system until such time as our hands will be forced.  Though I've advocated a complete cutoff of Windows Updates, I'm now starting to re-think that, since there are things that absolutely must be done online.  For example, if you install new software, its certificate may need to be validated online for it to work properly.

-Noel

So do you think those concerns would extend to someone running Windows 8 (original) after next month when updates stop?  I was hoping I'd hear thoughts on that in a Windows 8 thread I started on the topic.  (I'm hoping it would be usable until 2023 at least)

I don't know, honestly.  Win 8(.0) users are a pretty small group.  Still, they're a significant, single group under Microsoft's services agreement, so they could presumably do whatever they want to start pushing such a user ever harder onto the new system.  Now, it might be that GWX or its henchmen don't think the hardware is compatible.  I can STILL imagine that Microsoft could do a lot of subtle things to make your computing life worse on an older system, making you want to buy, say, a sexy new Surface or something.

Microsoft has proven to be a determined, wealthy adversary, where once they were an attractive partner.  I don't believe we've even begun to see what they'll pull to push people into their brave new world.

They've been planning all this for a while.  It's entirely possible everything they need to push us around is already installed on our systems!  I brought a new computer online with Windows 7 in April of this year - well before Windows 10 was released.  I found GWX on it, apparently having been installed in the big blob of Windows Updates required of a new Windows 7 SP1 system back then.  I didn't start looking for updates that would "ease the upgrade to a newer OS" until May or so.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Microsoft has proven to be a determined, wealthy adversary, where once they were an attractive partner ...

[/END OF AN ERA]

... They've been planning all this for a while. It's entirely possible everything they need to push us around is already installed on our systems! ...

I'm on the watch for prepositioned martian tripods emerging unexpectedly from the depths of W7. No contacts prior to about May 2015, thus far.

But as that's what I'd have done if I were the martians, I keep a vigilant watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft has proven to be a determined, wealthy adversary, where once they were an attractive partner ...

[/END OF AN ERA]

... They've been planning all this for a while. It's entirely possible everything they need to push us around is already installed on our systems! ...

I'm on the watch for prepositioned martian tripods emerging unexpectedly from the depths of W7. No contacts prior to about May 2015, thus far.

But as that's what I'd have done if I were the martians, I keep a vigilant watch.

"vigilant watch"

TELVM,

I thought my Microsoft Office:Mac 2011 was shilded in an "Apple Shell."  Oh, the sneaks got to it right past my trusting guard.  Even threatened to take down the Apple OS.  Time Machine brought the OS back but it took 2 days of research to get MS Office:Mac operational.  I think Office:Mac is one of the best products from MS.  However, now "Martian Watch" has been added to the vigilant watch.  A great way to end this year.  The new year (2016) should prove to be exciting with politics, religion and OS software upgrades.  A good year for vigilance all around.  Love will be busy in 2016.  Smiles all around.

Bud