Microsoft killing classic control panel in Win 10?

DaveImagery

Due to the level of complexity of the original control panel, coupled with it's heavy usage and integration into the Settings App, speaks for itself it's not going away.  I'm not sure how the journalist who wrote the article inferred what they did, as Mr. Aul never stated anything to the effect of the original control panel is being killed off

• "Having two separate implementations means more code complexity and disk/mem usage. Getting to one is leaner"

The Settings app will continue to be used as the main control panel area, with more complex actions handed off to the original control panel, the same way the Settings app currently operates, and has operated, since it's inception in Windows 8. While Microsoft's goal is leaner, and less complex, coding, the reality is there is simply no efficient way to incorporate the original control panel into something new.  It's the equivalent of trying to reinvent the wheel... there's a reason why there hasn't been a single innovation applied to the wheel in more than 5,500 years.

On top of that, you then must ask the question "If not the original control panel, then what?". There's no efficient, nor probable, way to incorporate the complexity of the original control panel into the Settings App. Take the Windows Firewall (which I've never used, but it a perfect example of the type of complexity)... anyone care to fathom how that's supposed to be apart of the Settings App? What about Programs and Features? Anyone who can intelligently explain how the Settings App's System -> Apps & Features would make things less complex, I'd be interested in hearing from that perspective.

The Settings app is made for touch devices, whether it be laptops, tablets, or desktop monitors... it is not intended, nor built in such a way, to be replacement of the original Control Panel. It really comes down to Occam's Razor - Microsoft has had 5+ years to attempt to incorporate the original Control Panel into the Settings Apps... there's a reason this has yet to occur.

Edited by jmonroe0914

Seems to me a reason could be that the new Metro/Modern/Universal App environment must be both less capable of supporting application complexity and at the same time more difficult to implement a design with.  Not exactly enviable attributes for a "whole new paradigm".

Can there be another explanation why Microsoft's Apps are so bad?  How many YEARS have they been trying?

Well, I guess there could be one other explanation:  Microsoft's employees might now be no more capable of writing good software than an average high school student.

Windows 10 is overpriced.

-Noel

Because of the telemetry, ads and that Microsoft themselves have said they can and will go through your files for any reason they want to. That makes it over priced. The price is paid in losing freedom of your pc and computing

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

How about from already proven experience every for months when milestones are pushed it uninstalls programs for no real reason? When you give up something it makes it not free. Millions also gave up their very expensive windows seven licenses for this crap and millions more gave up their not so expensive windows eight licenses.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Since you seem really intent on someone, as you put it, "trying to prove us idiots", expensive, in the way it was used, implied monetary cost.  Something can not be monetarily expensive when it's free.

By all means, launch into the conspiratorial, tinfoil hat, nonsensical replies about nonexistent points... you and others are superb at it.  I however, have far more important things to do that waste time with individuals partaking in this type of nutjob absurdity.  Have a wonderful day =]

Something can not be monetarily expensive when it's free.

Of course it can! When that free thing gathers your private info and sends it elswhere to undisclosed parts, it becomes (at least potentially) monetarily expensive... and actually behaves as a trojan horse. You see, the horse was free, but cost Troy its actual existence (can anything be more costly than that?).

WinX Fanboi... (Sorry, it *had* to be said.) Almost as if MS sent someone here to promote it.

I think I'll play with WinX, then let it sit on its DVD until Win7 is totally out of support (2020). Heck I'm running pre-Vista on this bad boy and perfectly satisfied.

Of course it can! When that free thing gathers your private info and sends it elswhere to undisclosed parts, it becomes (at least potentially) monetarily expensive... and actually behaves as a trojan horse. You see, the horse was free, but cost Troy its actual existence (can anything be more costly than that?).

... to the extent that Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes

has become a common proverbial saying in many languages.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Not sure how something that's free is overpriced...  :dubbio:

I'll tell you how. Because it replaces something that was not free and was of high quality. It replaces that with a "free" low quality OS that few want.

Windows 10 updated an activated Win 10 to an unactivated Windows 10.  Then MS wanted money to buy a new Key.  Yes, "Free" is overpriced.

Installed Classic Shell in the VirtualBox Windows 10 today to stabilize the update of today.  Just realized that I got the "classic control panel" back as well.  Now I can switch back and forth at will.

privacy quote above.

Windows is not a phone quit trying to make it into a phone! Bring back the desktop experience! I am staying with Windows 7 SP1 until MS make a good OS with a solid foundation or I have to move to Linux. I'm not the most advanced user, but it will do just fine.

Correction:  You'll stay with Win 7 SP1 until such time as Microsoft's persistence and subversiveness exceeds your ability to block them.  There will likely come a time when they will not longer allow your older system to remain activated.

I don't mean this as a criticism.  I believe they can and will overwhelm us all sooner or later, no matter what our skill levels.  They are a determined, motivated adversary who have something we don't:  The source code.

Don't kid yourself, if we're here, online, clearly we need our systems to work online.  That will be more and more difficult with an older system until such time as our hands will be forced.  Though I've advocated a complete cutoff of Windows Updates, I'm now starting to re-think that, since there are things that absolutely must be done online.  For example, if you install new software, its certificate may need to be validated online for it to work properly.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC