Microsoft killing classic control panel in Win 10?

DaveImagery

That sucks if its true...but I just can't see Microsoft doing this. Lots of IT professionals use that control panel..its very simple and we know exactly where everything is. But if they do remove it..you know it wont be lost forever because someone will figure out a way to bring it back. 

Lots of IT professionals use that control panel..its very simple and we know exactly where everything is.

Well, simple... I remember times, when I had much less experienced ( and had no "type that in search engine" reflex) and I have spent hours looking for a things that I thought should be at the front page, as I thought. CP isn't perfect (and never were) yet it is still much more useful than metrotarded settings screen and ppl got used to it. I mean... come on, you can change the way toys look like in the system, but while speaking of such useful tool one simply don't force ppl to change way it looks it and their habbits and make them learn everything form the scratch, while it brings neither actual performance improvement nor new features.

It just seems inevitable that Microsoft will make everything a "modern" application. I absolutely hate modern applications with a passion, and wish they would just die (along with the "make everything look flat" phase every company is doing).

Microsoft always "fixes" what isn't broken, typical idiots. And here's what I ultimately want to know. What is with the overuse of the word app, like seriously? As much as I loathe that word to begin with, I feel it belongs on a completely mobile base, not PC based. The impression I get from such a lazy word is that it's a watered down version of some sort of program. I think it's Microsoft trying to sound hip, but then again what do you expect from a company that thinks white toolbars and titlebars is cool? Why not just have it look like a basic Microsoft Word document, white with black text if this is the case. I think even DOS looked more interesting than what they've come up with in the last year.

@Darkenmoon87: I absolutely agree. I have one long word for all this "flat design" from all these companies. Boooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg!!!

Edited by Tommy

Microsoft keeps making my decision to go to Linux easier and easier. 

They still haven't fixed the thumbnail cache deletion problem.  It's been a known problem since Vista!!  Content creators like me, or really anyone with lots of photos/videos, don't want to sit and wait for thumbnails to reload after every reboot.  None of the workarounds on the web work either.  So frustrating!!!  Glad Microsoft has their priorities straight.

Edited by DaveImagery

Yes well not a single user feature upgrade or meaningful bug fix has ever been deployed through Windows update.

Like yes why does Windows insist on reloading the thumbnails for folders it frequently visits.. can't it remember anything.

The sheer weight of data issued for the updates we do receive makes me sit and wonder what the heck they actually do.

Most of the silly GUI changes we've seen in Win10 could easily be back ported as a theme to earlier editions, so the big push for the OS upgrade is all back end stuff we can't see. From where I sit, its looks like they've bolted a coin slot into the start menu.

In my mind it doesn't matter, IF the replacement control mechanisms are programmed to do all the same things (or, gasp!, even more).

Unfortunately, they don't.

For that we have Regedit.exe.

-Noel

• 3 weeks later...

There are always differing viewpoints.

Smart people tend to fight the fanboys for a while, then get tired and move to forums like this one where reality tends to override fashion. 

I wouldn't mind a control panel replacement that's actually COMPLETE and BETTER.  As it is, unfortunately Microsoft seems bent on replacing things before the new things are COMPLETE or BETTER than what they're replacing.

Just try to request a sync to an internet time server, for example.  There are half a dozen more steps than there used to be...

-Noel

There are always differing viewpoints.

Just try to request a sync to an internet time server, for example.  There are half a dozen more steps than there used to be...

-Noel

I ended up making a batch script for that. For some reason my clock randomly goes out of sync periodically and I got sick of fixing manually.