512MB nVidia Graphics Cards

rloew

• 2 weeks later...

I get the correct message, if I run NVCheck in safe mode.

"10000: 0295:10de"

"Resource Under Allocated

Driver Patch or BIOS Flash Needed"

Running NvCheck in (real) DOS (8.0) mode from Boot Disk gives only  "10000: 0295:10de". 

Try this one.

attachicon.gifNVCHECK.EXE

boot disk: I get only "10000: 0300 0295:10de"
All the paths in my Source File print something. Either there is a Compiler bug or something is causing the Program to exit silently.

In any case, you probably will need my Patch.

@rloew

I recently purchased a bundle of AGP cards among the pack was a Geforce 6800GS 512MB, when i tried to install the official forceware drivers it said no Nvidia Card detected. That's exatcly what happened when I tried installing a 7600gt 512mb with the unofficial drivers.

The unofficial installer package does not always detect all of the "newer" cards that the driver will still work with. MDGx repacked the installer with an updated INF that handles later cards than the ones that were in the INF in the original package, but he could not update the nVidia setup/detection program that checks the cards initially. One must usually unpack the installer to a folder and manually point the Device Manager/Add New Hardware/Update Driver dialogs to it.

The 6800GS may not have had "official" 9x support but the 6800 Ultra did, and the GS should work since it's the same chipset. You would probably have to manually add its VID & PID to the INF file for the driver version you are trying to use or use the 82.69 driver.

The unofficial installer package does not always detect all of the "newer" cards that the driver will still work with. MDGx repacked the installer with an updated INF that handles later cards than the ones that were in the INF in the original package, but he could not update the nVidia setup/detection program that checks the cards initially. One must usually unpack the installer to a folder and manually point the Device Manager/Add New Hardware/Update Driver dialogs to it.

The 6800GS may not have had "official" 9x support but the 6800 Ultra did, and the GS should work since it's the same chipset. You would probably have to manually add its VID & PID to the INF file for the driver version you are trying to use or use the 82.69 driver.

The 6800 GS i have is a 512mb do you think it will work?

The 6800 GS i have is a 512mb do you think it will work?

You CAN get it working, but you MAY not be able to do it without a patch.

It's mostly luck of the draw as to whether the card and your system will get along. It depends on what memory size the card reports during boot. Some 512MB cards work and some don't, but either way the card will probably be limited to 256MB actually usable unless you use rloew's patch. (Use DXDIAG tests and/or the nVidia Control Panel to check the reported memory once installed.)

• 8 months later...

i know the patch is mainly for geforce 6 and 7 series, but has anyone tried the patch with any of the 8 series? i wanted to try out the geforce 8400 gs 512 MB pci video card ( regular pci interface ) on a 440bx motherboard, i don't think there are any 7 series regular pci graphics cards or agp universal that would work on the 440bx, i believe geforce 6 series or newer updated the electrical system and even if the card was universal and fit, it still wouldn't work because they use different voltages, leaving options limited for mid - high end graphics cards. i believe the geforce 6800xt agp universal was one of the few exceptions that worked but those are very rare and expensive if found and most are used and im looking for a new gpu.

the bios of the M6TBD motherboard can manually allocate up to 256 MB of video memory for the agp aperture, if i were to use the 8400 gs 512 MB pci version, which patch would be more appropriate? the motherboard should support up to 1 GB ( 768 MB system ram + 512 MB video card limited to 256 MB video memory ), but i don't want to get a 512 MB card where im forced to run lower system memory because there can't be anything done for any probable resource problems due to surpassing 1 GB, even with the patch(s).

i suppose installing 512 MB system ram first would be the trick with the 512 MB video card, install the patches that can limit the video memory to 256 MB, than i can install another 256 MB of system ram to have that 768 MB system ram + 256 MB video card combo? i put the link below of the specific card i would use. the fastest i found new that is was the fx 5700le agp universal but that's still a little slow for a 98SE system where i would like to run games like warcraft 3 smoothly with a pentium iii and minimum 512 MB system ram, the fx 5700le is better suited for a mid - high end windows 95 computer. 

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-nVidia-GeForce-Graphics-VCG84512SPEB/dp/B001D72NE0

Edited by cov3rt

The nVidia 8 series uses a newer architecture. There is no known driver for 9x that supports it properly, Patch or no Patch.

The RAM limitation, 1.15 GB without my Patch, does not include Video RAM. You can have 1GB of RAM and a 512MB Video Card.
Only users of my RAM Limitation Patch see a reduction of usable RAM with a large Video Card due to the limit of 4GiB - 2x(Video Card RAM).

Edited by rloew

2 hours ago, rloew said:

The nVidia 8 series uses a newer architecture. There is no known driver for 9x that supports it properly, Patch or no Patch.

The RAM limitation, 1.15 GB without my Patch, does not include Video RAM. You can have 1GB of RAM and a 512MB Video Card.
Only users of my RAM Limitation Patch see a reduction of usable RAM with a large Video Card due to the limit of 4GiB - 2x(Video Card RAM).

im not understanding, your first post indicated two different types of patches, one universal one that limits 512 MB video cards to 256 MB and another to allow full size of 512 MB video cards. but i guess it probably doesn't matter anymore because you said the 8 series nvidia aren't properly supported, patch or no patch. with that being said, if i i do still try to use the geforce 8400 gs 512 MB pci card, what sort of problems would i encounter with it not working properly, i guess that's a more straightforward question, though my previous post explains in question form of what can go wrong if i were to do what i wanted to do and what would needed to be done in attempt to get it working with the specified specs, 768 MB system ram + 512 MB video card, 8 series or not 8 series, in other words, if it were to be more simple, 768 MB system ram + a supported 512 MB video card like the geforce 6800xt universal agp?

Some 512MB nVidia Cards only Allocate 256MB of PCI space and use Memory banking to access the upper half.
This causes a problem with the 9x Drivers.
My nVidia Patch Package has two options. One is to patch the Driver to only report the less of the two sizes so that the upper half of Video RAM is ignored. The other is a Patch to the Video Card BIOS to enable the full 512MB to be accessed through the PCI Bus.

With the 8400, you will have no Driver support so you will by default get the standard VGA Driver which only supports 640x480x4 Video. VBEMP may give you more resolution but does not provide acceleration and typically crashes when opening a console windows such as a DOS Box.

768MB of RAM is not a problem with any nVidia Card, even 512MB ones. Any problem would be due to the issues above.
The 512MB 7200GS for example would work fine. I'm not sure about the 6800. You can download the free NVCHECK Program from my Website to see if you need my Patch.

Does any nvidia video card above the 6200 have enhanced hardware for video (movie) rendering that reduces the main CPU load when playing back hi-rez movies?  Does having 512 mb vs 256 mb  video ram give you any movie-playing advantage whether or not any such enhanced hardware is present on the card?  (this is, again, my way of asking if anything beyond a vanilla 6200 AGP card with 256 mb ram gives any benefit to win-98 users with P4 or Core2 systems who are not gamers but who may want to watch 1080p movies using mplayer classic or vlc).