Any reason to "up"grade? Not seeing any.

NoelC

Y'know the funny thing is...  There really ISN'T any - and I mean ANY - good reason to "up"grade.  And in reading what the pre-release people are saying, there's none really on the horizon either. 

That's astounding.

All Microsoft would have had to do to pull this crap off - ALL THEY'D HAVE TO HAVE DONE - would have been to put a few Must Have features into it that dyed-in-the-wool desktop users wouldn't have been able to get any other way.  If only they'd restored an elegant Aero Glass theme, or finished the implementation of ReFS, or made Explorer a little more capable (e.g., by buying a codec company or maybe buying Classic Shell), or any number of other obvious things. 

They wouldn't even have had to be innovative - just look at what 3rd parties are doing, buy a few of them, and integrate them.  People would have even been happy just to be able to do all of what Win 7 could do.

But no.  They just DELETE existing features and make existing things suckier to use, all the while trying to push a "new" Universal application environment that hasn't any more functionality or performance than that from the 8 bit systems of the 1970s.

That they think they don't have to do ANYTHING serious and can still push this garbage on people will be their entire undoing.

Maybe they couldn't get any serious engineer to actually work on WIndows 10.  That's my theory at present.

Perception is not reality, it's a wet dream shared by Marketing dweebs and it's utterly worthless without at least a little substance, no matter HOW much they pay for advertising.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Any reason why? It would be because it's a free copy of an OS and once you tweak windows 10 to your own liken you might just like it like I do ....

Thanks you Microsoft for my free copy . And all those that don't like it? Nobody is forcing you to use it, go find what does make you happy . Microsoft will always have their die hard Windows users and those that don't like MS ... You can't make everyone happy

Don't get me wrong; in a test VM I run it every day and I've got it as well tweaked as any OS I've ever used.  But it's not worth upgrading my main workstation's OS to it.  It brings too much baggage for NO gain.

Glad to hear you folks have found something you can live with. 

Just always remember there were days when a new system brought things you wanted to have.  New used to go hand in hand with Improved.

Now...

It's free, and worth every bit of the purchase price. 

I wonder...

Will it be worth the cost later after Microsoft loses control of your personal data?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Nope I can't find any reason to "upgrade" to Bob 10 but I am seeing plenty of reasons to NOT upgrade. I don't find Bob 10 better than Bob 8.1 either. It is neither revolutionary, nor evolutionary. It's a regression in many areas.

Edited by xpclient

And that's actually a good reason - if gaming is important to you.

It illustrates my point:  Microsoft clearly wants as many people as possible to adopt Windows 10.

• Gamers have the DirectX 12 thing to incentivize them.
  • Phone / tablet users presumably have the Modern / Universal Apps to attract them.
  • Serious / business computer users have...   Crickets

Who didn't get the memo to make the new Must Have features for business users?

-Noel

The selling points for Windows 10 that are being pushed are really rather comical.  Most, if not all, were already available in Windows 7 and are downright trivial and condescending.  For daily updates and rehashing of these, just check the @MicrosoftHelps or @WindowsSupport Twitter feeds.  All I can do is shake my head.  These are actually touted on their website or other MS media as exciting new features:

• It has a Start Menu!!!
  • You can change the wallpaper!!!  
  • You can doodle on webpages!!!
  • It has Solitaire - with an exciting new subscription fee!!!
  • You can use Bing to search!!!
  • It has speech recognition!!! 
  • It supports Office 365!!!
  • The Control Panel is gone!!!
  • We removed the text "PC"!!!
  • You can download apps!!! (formerly called 'applications, software, or programs" but those words are too long, silly!!!)
  • You can upload stuff to the internet!!!! (OneDrive)
  • You can view photos!!!  ("photographs" is also too long of a word, silly!!!)

I was genuinely excited to see the next iteration of bad OS, good OS, bad OS, good OS, but this is now just a minimally viable product to satiate consumers and investors.  (But it's freeeeee!!!!)  I would've gladly paid for an OS with at least a college-try at innovation, but innovation is dead at Microsoft.  Windows is dead and is no longer their focus.

The only innovative feature of Windows 10 is how they've managed to include a mechanism capable of circumventing data encryption with their forced automatic updates.  Strangely enough, the gov't task force on the "encryption problem" even agrees that users should be able to disable the automatic updates.  (put on your tinfoil hat and read page 6 of the actual draft proposal here)

The selling points for Windows 10 that are being pushed are really rather comical.  Most, if not all, were already available in Windows 7 and are downright trivial and condescending.  For daily updates and rehashing of these, just check the @MicrosoftHelps or @WindowsSupport Twitter feeds.  All I can do is shake my head. ...

(and to everything else that follows the above quote)  +1

I was genuinely excited to see the next iteration of bad OS, good OS, bad OS, good OS, but this is now just a minimally viable product to satiate consumers and investors.  (But it's freeeeee!!!!)  I would've gladly paid for an OS with at least a college-try at innovation, but innovation is dead at Microsoft.  Windows is dead and is no longer their focus.

I, too, was excited about the prospect of a new Windows that would fix what was wrong with the Windows 8 UI. Sadly, over time I realized that they went barely a quarter of the way in that respect (with a half-baked new Start Menu), while ignoring other areas for improvement (such as optional Aero Glass customization) and then actually making things worse in other respects (with forced updates and all the extra "phoning home" that can't be turned off by non-expert users).

The only innovative feature of Windows 10 is how they've managed to include a mechanism capable of circumventing data encryption with their forced automatic updates.  Strangely enough, the gov't task force on the "encryption problem" even agrees that users should be able to disable the automatic updates.  (put on your tinfoil hat and read page 6 of the actual draft proposal here)

Pretty frightening. As I was reading the paragraph about sneaking "law enforcement software" into OS updates, I was saying to myself, "Well, that's the best reason I can think of to disable updates altogether," and then sure enough that's what the text goes on to discuss.

BTW, very nice first post. Welcome to the forum!  :hello:

--JorgeA

if you need "gaming experience" with new DX what ever the f*** it brings

if you need flat ugly OS

if you need to be center of world with all integrated "social" services (can't believe its called social)

then upgrade :D

don't forget new cool wallpaper you get for free !

Edited by vinifera