Known Vista Explorer bug: a fix has finally been discovered.

WinClient5270

Hello everyone.

I noticed that some Vista users on here along with a friend of mine were experiencing a strange bug with Windows Vista's explorer view settings. Well after failing for months now to experience the issue for myself, it finally happened. However, I found a fix and want to share it in hopes that it will help someone else.

Basically, the explorer view settings would be shared among different folders and view settings would be forgotten. If I chose to show the Music sort headers in the Music folder, my personal user folder would also change to the Music headers, and if I changed those settings within the personal folder, they would also affect my Music folder. Changing icon view settings in either folder would also affect the other one. Other folders would also not remember their settings, for example, grouping by type would simply revert to the default details view upon closing and reopening the folder.

Here is a link to the fix (guide not made by me, I take no credit for it): http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2011/06/05/solved-windows-doesnt-remember-folder-view-settings/

It seems to also affect Windows 7 given that the guide also mentions that OS, but seems to be either more prevalent in Vista or it may be that I don't use Windows 7 as much.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you who have been experiencing the issue with Vista and maybe Windows 7 too. I would also like to mention that turning off automatic folder type detection did not fix the issue for me, so I don't recommend trying that.

-2008WindowsVista

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Thanks for sharing. I too was faced with many articles describing a fix by removal of folder templates, but that was neither the case of solution for myself either.

This has seemed to solve the mystery for me. I'll keep a close eye over it. Been battling it back and fourth the past year or so, puzzled. Strangely enough install/uninstallation of my Radeon display drivers seemed to have triggered it, or at least altered it in some way. Then I had my primary user account free of said bug after a driver reinstallation, while another standard user setup for a family member suffered from it's affects. It's confusing to the point where describing it can be even more so confusing..

None the less, great finding. Sorry to say I'm happy this horrid issue has finally reared it's head on you, simply because you seem to have great luck fixing up this product ;)

Cheers

Do you know if there is a way to get the "date modified" column on every folder? I don't really care much about any of the other columns but that one is important to me

and I am tired of having to keep enabling it.

Most folders have that enabled by default, but Music doesn't seem to. Right click on the folder you want to enable it on, and then click properties.

Then select this setting: http://prntscr.com/8nbiba

Then click OK, and it should show the header.

Do you know if there is a way to get the "date modified" column on every folder? I don't really care much about any of the other columns but that one is important to me

and I am tired of having to keep enabling it.

Set the template type for each folder and it's sub folders to "All Items". That temp always shows Date Modified on the column header. Used a patch in 7 once to make that the default, probably a similar way of doing so in Vista as well.