Windows 11?

kim2km.oore

At least, that is, that you know of. Regarding cloud hosting (or heck even just an FTP someplace) you put your trust in the host to keep your stuff secure from others and also that the host won't be snooping around themselves. And you would never know if that trust is broken. Some people just can't put that amount of trust into a company, especially when they see data storage companies being hacked and acting badly almost every day.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:21 AM, dhjohns said:

Safest place to keep them.  All my personals and sensitives are in the cloud as well as my coding projects.  I do NOT want them lost.  This is just common sense.

Don't you do your own backups?

I have completely shunned the cloud and yet - amazingly - I haven't lost any data since 1976 (though I admit that some of it is on punch cards and mag tape, which I never transferred into the PC environment).  As far as files on my computer go, my oldest Word document in my Documents folder is from 1990 (which is when I started using Word).  Never once have these documents been "on the cloud".

You cannot espouse advantages of "cloud" computing - which differs from traditional computing with networking in one key point, you don't have control of the communications - because there simply are no advantages for users.  The only advantages are for those who would seek to profit from handling your data.  Surely you don't believe in a free lunch.

The oldest program in my BIN folder is dated 1986, which is when I started accumulating useful applications.  It no longer runs on my host system since it's a 16 bit application.  However, to this day I still run the NT CLOCK32.EXE application, which is dated late 90s, on my desktop 24/7.  Why?  Because it accomplishes its purpose (showing me the time and date) with almost no resource consumption.  The executable is a whole 42 kBytes in size.

My point?  There is no reason to believe that "newer is better" when it comes to software.  People aren't any smarter than they were decades ago.  If anything, they lack the wisdom and prowess people had to develop when computing was more expensive and difficult, and they weren't distracted by their damned phones all the time.

-Noel

On 6/17/2018 at 1:39 PM, NoelC said:

You cannot espouse advantages of "cloud" computing - which differs from traditional computing with networking in one key point, you don't have control of the communications - because there simply are no advantages for users.  The only advantages are for those who would seek to profit from handling your data.  Surely you don't believe in a free lunch.

There are many advantages of cloud, and I am talking storage.  If anything catastrophic were to happen to your house, say, all your data is safe.  If your hard drives die, all your data is safe.  You can also access your data from elsewhere.  You are not tied to your home.  I have full control.  If you do not use the cloud you will be left behind in the dust.  People used to speak the same way of telephones.  One of the early presidents of the DuPont company saw no need for them.  Anything new people  like you shun.  I embrace new technology!  Sorry Charlie, welcome to the real world!

Edited by dhjohns

4 hours ago, dhjohns said:

If you do not use the cloud you will be left behind in the dust.

Aren't you a bit overexaggerating?:whistle:
I don't use the cloud but I am not in the dust also.:P

3 minutes ago, HarryTri said:

I don't use the cloud but I am not in the dust also.:P

Maybe it is subjective, you don't feel like being in the dust, but from dhjohns' point of view it may seem so. :dubbio:

jaclaz

On 9/26/2015 at 8:26 PM, kim2km.oore said:

Anyone, is Microsoft really not going to release any major version upgrades to Windows anymore, so we'll have no more Windows 11? ...
 Is this rumor really true?

What makes me wonder is that you think that Windows issues are related to this version number! I do not think so.
It's true that people likes bigger numbers, but that's when these numbers are on banknotes or on money paper.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 10:52 AM, dhjohns said:

There are many advantages of cloud, and I am talking storage.  If anything catastrophic were to happen to your house, say, all your data is safe.  If your hard drives die, all your data is safe.  You can also access your data from elsewhere.  You are not tied to your home.  I have full control.  If you do not use the cloud you will be left behind in the dust.  People used to speak the same way of telephones.  One of the early presidents of the DuPont company saw no need for them.  Anything new people  like you shun.  I embrace new technology!  Sorry Charlie, welcome to the real world!

That's why you have something called off-site backups. You back up your information and then you store it off-site so in case something does happen to your house or facility, then you can retrieve your backups elsewhere and do a restore.

The only time I embrace new technology is when I see a real and practical use for it. Telephones are obviously very practical and as far as I'm concerned, much more useful than this texting nonsense which has in my opinion, degraded the English language to the point where people can't spell words correctly or know the differences between lose or loose, yeah, double O is not "losing weight" but rather "my doorknob is loose and I better tighten it up".

Jaclaz is also correct, you don't have complete full control over your data. You might be able to read/write and delete at your own will but so does the hosting provider and the host has even more rights than you do. I don't trust my stuff to the so called cloud either. It's the same as people who use these programs on the cell phones because if you send in a picture of your receipt, then you'll get money back from them and hey, who doesn't want free money just for shopping? But rather it's a very clever and also practical marketing ploy so that data companies don't have to physically collect data from you but rather you're willingly providing it to them and they pay a fraction of the cost as traditional methods. You're doing the hard work for them and then you're served with advertisements because of your purchases. People are so gullible. :) Then again, companies like that take advantage of people who click next, next, next, next, agree? YES!, install. People don't take time to read that stuff and instead just go ahead and go for it.

It's really even the same with credit cards. You have protection to an extent but if you get your number stolen, you're taken for a ride and someone, somewhere, has to eat the cost of whatever happens because of it. Traditional currency is completely safe until you lose it (or is it loose? ;) ) or is stolen off you or your home physically. Just because some id*** says it's newer and better doesn't always make it so, it's just marketing to gullible people who believe everything is all in their best interest. Yeah MS, kinda like those beta tests you do and somehow you still managed to code in that awful start screen that nobody liked or wanted.

• 1 year later...

There won't be a windows 11.

If windows went into a subscription linux would take over the market share.

With open document support open office says haha to microsoft office subscriptions.

I wouldn't pay subscription for licensing i'd just use the free stuff. Theres enough inflation due to fossil fuel and corona virus problems.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, Windows 2000 said:

And now, there officially has leaked an early dev build of Windows 11, with curved corners, new design, new icons and sounds!

Untitled.jpg

I like the rounded corners, but in general the UI looks like KDE/MacOS

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, new icons and sounds!  Just what we needed!  OMG, Windows 10 was getting so old looking!

Now that they've bloated it to the point where it runs only about as well as Windows 8 did on a circa 2013 system, I'm hoping they'll ultimately bring back something to make the desktop more elegant again.  Oh, I don't know, how about adding translucent borders to the rounded corners to help people differentiate visually between different windows?  Yeah, that's the ticket.  Maybe we'll be back to Windows 7 level soon.  Computing didn't need those 12 years to advance.  Planned obsolescence carried the 2010s just fine for the Marketeers. 

image.png.e469b925986abb6427012dd5ddea9017.png

I'm no fan of centering things on the Taskbar, by the way, but that's what you're going to get.  If I wanted a Dock I'd settle for a Unix-based system that'll be good for 2 or 3 years before "needing" to be replaced.

It's really a shame Microsoft didn't take the 2010s to advance their tech beyond what the fruit company could even imagine.

Edited by NoelC

On 3/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, ZaPbUzZ said:

There won't be a windows 11.

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.

12 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Oooh, new icons and sounds!  Just what we needed!  OMG, Windows 10 was getting so old looking!

It seems to me like you somehow forgot to state how excited the good MS guys are about this crap.

jaclaz