Optimal Page File Setting

Nerwin

So finally, a quick word on system-managed versus statically defined page files. Some administrators will allow the system to manage the page file sizes. However, while this ensures that you are unlikely to encounter page file related resource depletion, it can lead to severe disk and page file fragmentation as the page file continuously shrinks and expands to keep up with the needs of the system. If you are in a situation where there is severe disk fragmentation and you have a dynamic page file, I would strongly recommend reconfiguring the server with a static page file.

Didn't I say that back there somewhere?

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Letting windows waste upto sixteen gigs is bs. We've seen many times windows fill a page file and keep it full because it had always had issues cleaning it. That's a waste of space and resource.

Have you come across this issue on Windows 10? You still appear to have a massive misunderstanding as to what the pagefile is and why it's needed. I really would encourage you to read the technet blog I linked to.

Read that. Did you though? It refers to servers only and says that you should set a static page file essentially because windows sucks at managing it. Do you really fully read anything?

See last sentence above.  You appear to have an factually inaccurate understanding of what virtual memory is for and why it's needed.

LOL.  You dig yourself into a deeper hole every time you post.

-Noel

Windows XP, 4gb RAM, Pagefile manually set to 672mb, not a hiccup number one.

Please, no more Technet. We're perfectly aware of it. Indeed, in some cases it's been proven they're totally wrong or misleading.

We are *not* "consumers", we're total geeks with combined knowledge and experience well beyond what a "certain person" can dredge up.

Further Nuhi was hired (AFAIK) by MS because he got waaaay too smart.

Not appreciating this, nope, not at all...