Windows 10 crashes with no error

Nerwin

So I've been having this issue on Windows 7 as well, but because I now run windows 10, I thought it would be appropriate to post in the Windows 10 section. 

When I upgraded to Windows 10, I tried doing a clean install..but it would not activate and I'm pretty sure that was because Microsoft's activation servers were overloaded at the time. So I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 which activated fine and then just upgraded to Windows 10 and that was able to activate fine. I wasn't a fan of it..but since it was a clean install of Windows 7, I don't think it would have made a big difference if I did a clean install of Windows 10. 

Anyways the issue I am having is sometimes Windows will lock up and I can't do anything, even the reset button doesn't function. I have to hold down the power button on the case or hit the PSU switch to reset it. It will boot normal and act as if nothing ever happened. No error message, no error in the event viewer..just the errors that tell you shut down the computer incorrectly. But no stop error..no blue screen..nothing. 

This freeze seems to occur during when either watching a video on YouTube or playing music..anything that has audio. The computer will freeze and the audio will freeze as well and make some weird sound on repeat. 

Like I said, its been doing this when I had Windows 7 installed. So I don't think its operating system related. Its gotta be hardware or driver related and I think its the later. I use integrated audio on the ASUS P8Z77-V LK board which uses Realtek ALC892 audio chipset. The driver I am using currently is: 6.0.1.7535 from Realtek. 

I am also starting to think this freeze started after when I bought a new monitor which is the Dell U2415 which supports audio over DisplayPort & HDMI. So Windows automatically installed the driver which I assume is Microsoft HD Audio Device in which driver version is 10.0.10240.16384. I have yet to confirm this, but there is a audio out jack on the monitor. I'm positive if I disable that it will disable the audio to the monitor. 

I'm not 100% sure if this freeze is because of the audio, but when the freeze does occur is ALWAYS when doing anything with audio. It even did it once when I was editing video and playing back. Its the only thing I can think of. 

if I could find a error code then it would make this a whole lot easier..but I looked and looked and there is nothing. Its like it never happened. Which is why I think it either has to be a hardware or driver issue. The only way to truly eliminate the audio problem is to just buy a dedicated sound card and disable the integrated audio in the bios. If it is a Windows related error, then I would love to figure it out and ultimately solve this crashing. Now, it doesn't happen all the time..I can go weeks without it happening and then out of no where it will do it three times in a few days. Then go months with out happening. 

I can't solve it..I need help. 

Edited by Nerwin

You have to upgrade first to 10 then it activates then you can do clean install.

I mean clean don't drag anything over. Stop it at the setup screen and delete/create new partition and format the drive then install. Did you do that? Want to make sure you not dragging problems over

Yeah sounds like a driver issue so only thing is keep checking for updated ones, though with 10 it thinks what it installs is correct and I end up with Amd catalyst on mine where i never installed that shit before just drivers. But it sneaks it in each time

You have to upgrade first to 10 then it activates then you can do clean install.

I mean clean don't drag anything over. Stop it at the setup screen and delete/create new partition and format the drive then install. Did you do that? Want to make sure you not dragging problems over

Yeah sounds like a driver issue so only thing is keep checking for updated ones, though with 10 it thinks what it installs is correct and I end up with Amd catalyst on mine where i never installed that s*** before just drivers. But it sneaks it in each time

yes, I upgraded to windows 10 from Windows 7 and it did activate but I wanted a clean install of Windows 10 so I followed the directions Microsoft gave you to do a clean install, but it did not activate saying my key was not genuine, but it was. So I reformatted the drive and installed Windows 7 clean again and then upgraded to Windows 10 from the clean install of Windows 7 and it worked perfect, activated successfully. I was going to try again to install Windows 10 clean..but I don't think there would have been much difference between clean install of Windows 10 and Windows 10 upgrade over clean install of Windows 7. 

The good thing is that reinstalling the OS on a SSD from a usb 3 drive..doesn't take much time at all, haha. 

Its been running smoothly, probably better than Windows 7 actually. But the driver issue still remains, if its a driver issue. I'm not exactly sure what to do. 

I am also starting to think this freeze started after when I bought a new monitor which is the Dell U2415 which supports audio over DisplayPort & HDMI. So Windows automatically installed the driver which I assume is Microsoft HD Audio Device in which driver version is 10.0.10240.16384. I have yet to confirm this, but there is a audio out jack on the monitor. I'm positive if I disable that it will disable the audio to the monitor. 

I'm not 100% sure if this freeze is because of the audio, but when the freeze does occur is ALWAYS when doing anything with audio. It even did it once when I was editing video and playing back. Its the only thing I can think of.

You should install the driver for the HD Audio Device. If you are using Intel CPU only (no video card) then installing the Intel video driver should install the HDMI audio driver.

You should install the driver for the HD Audio Device. If you are using Intel CPU only (no video card) then installing the Intel video driver should install the HDMI audio driver.

Its already installed using driver 10.18.10.4252 from Intel. 

Well windows just froze again without error and this time no audio was playing. 

I just wish there was an error code but there is nothing! It has to be a driver. 

Edited by Nerwin

Well after browsing around in the device manager, I noticed no chipset driver was installed. That was interesting. Came across something relating to the chipset and the driver was from 2012. Silly windows update. Went to asus and downloaded the latest intel chipset driver which I think was this month and installed it and now under device manager it shows the z77 chipset. Also the display driver was a version off, so I updated that. Hopefully these latest drivers will solve some of the issues I've been having. Fingers crossed!