Windows NT 4.0 SP1 - essential devices to run

caps_buster

Guys, all I need from the WinNT 4.0 SP1 is to run SuperPi/PiFast and fastest. That means everything that is not need for mouse, keyboard, graphis and disk writes have to GO.

I narrowed the Devices in WinNT control pannel down to these ones that I left running:

Atapi

Cdfs

CDrom

Disk

Fastfat

i8042 keyboard and PS/2

Keyboard class driver

KSecDD

Mouse class driver

Next sensor kernel I/O driver

Npfs - (cannot login when disabled)

Ntfs

Null

S3/AtiRage - (depends on witch GFX card is used)

Services I optimized to just two:

Win_NT_services.jpg

EventLog

Remote Prodecure Call (RPC) Service - (terrible timeout waits in Explorer when disabled)

(I have to start the Plug&Pray service before messing with the devices, but that is small price to pay for the God's of speed)

And the question is - what more can I disable, using PS/2 keyboard and mouse (Asus TXP4-X mainboard - yes, Socket 7 oldtimer)? Do I really need that much drivers seemingly related to the keyboard and mouse? Yes, I need support for the NTFS filesystem, that cannot go away, but what is, for example, the Next sensor kernel I/O driver?

Etc. Questions, questions. Could someone answer them?

PS. it looks like, based on the link bellow, that the Next sensor kernel I/O driver is for thermal device / fns comunication (sensing) and since my board feature none of that, it could likely go:

http://www.file.net/process/nxsio32.sys.html

And yes, I have backed up the partition with WinNT, but since the hardware is very slow, then I thought that I rather ask before having to restore the partition into working order, witch is SLOOOOOOW. Currently the machine is running SuperPi 32M test on K5-75 @90MHz, witch will take around 22-23h to go...

(BTW, I was badly surprised that I had to reinstall WinNT when exchanging P90 to K5-75 CPU's...)

Edited by caps_buster

Well, that would force me to the unfortunate - try & fail testing :)

So, I disabled the CDROM and then I disabled the services need:

Cdfs

CDrom

And things works :)

Later I attackedk the KSecDD service and WinNT 4.0 SP1 works fine w/o it too.

And of course I killed the Next sensor kernel I/O driver and things works. I did not use NTFS partition (well, there is one, but formated under WinXP and therefore inaccesible to WinNT), so I disabled the Ntfs device, however even when disabled, it is started and run...

That leave me with:

Atapi

Disk

Fastfat

i8042 keyboard and PS/2

Keyboard class driver

Mouse class driver

Npfs - (cannot login when disabled)

Ntfs - (cannot be disabled)

Null

S3/AtiRage - (depends on witch GFX card is used)

Obviously, there is not much room to improve. Null must be run, GFX card must be run too... The qestion is only the Atapi driver (need for HDD?) and there drivers for input devices, while IMHO the i8042 keyboard and PS/2 driver should be, in teory, enough to handle both keyboard and mouse.

But I'm not much sure about this at all...

Your thoughts, guys? Are the Disk for example need, when I will not insert any disk...??? Is the Atapi mandatory w/o CDROM?

Edited by caps_buster

So this cannot be disabled. What about the i8042 keyboard and PS/2 ...?

Well, that one is easy, is any device (keyboard/mouse) connceted to a PS/2 port?

If yes, you need them (and since USB is a no-no at least officially on NT 4.00 it may be a good idea to NOT remove them as you wouldn't have any way to interact with the OS, though maybe a SERIAL mouse may still work :unsure:)

jaclaz

I think SystemTray and Shell Scrap DataHandler can go.

If you only want to run SuperPi, install it as the shell app instead of Explorer. Then you should be able to get rid of userinit and RpcSs as well as Explorer itself.

If you really, really want SuperPi to fly, find a version with a built-in 32-bit DOS extender, boot from floppy, and skip NT4 altogether.

If you are willing to navigate using keyboard shortcuts (arrow keys, Alt-Tab, etc) then the mouse class driver can go too. Especially if you go so far as to replace the shell and eliminate Explorer.