Browsers & Programs that will install & run w/o requiring SSE2

Ninho

Many of us are still using AMD Athlon XPs (or even older processors - that do not execute "SSE2" instructions).

The problem is, more and more popular software and installers now routinely build expecting SSE2 to be present,and even oftentimes not warning nor checking properly the actual processor features present - therefore, crashing ungracefully while attempting to run/install on non-SSE2 capable systems :(

One goal of this topic - which might be made a sticky thread, if eventually catches enough visits / replies -

is to discuss the situation and possible workarounds : list last versions of software, esp. browsers, that

can be installed and operated without requiring SSE2 (even if some functions will then be crippled or disabled).

This will help people avoid the downloading of software versions either dysfunctional or even crashing their systems despite claimed compatibility to their OS versions (compatibility claims seldom take this particular aspect in account) !

The idea has come to me from losing my installed Chrome 34 (hardware crash, no backup of the particular software!). I was - wrongly - confident I knew how to download older versions of the Chrome browsers from Google, alas! they changed their minds, and now, apparently, it is no more possible !

I /love/ Chrome - though hating how they force "upgrades", especially as they fall into the aforementioned category of developers who couldn't even be bothered to properly /check/ for the presence of SSE2 and let their apps/installers just /crash/ under you. Oh , well ! Does anybody have a working link to Chrome 34 for Win32 ( many results by popular search engines are NO GOOD : they will invariably download the NEW

Google installer which in turns will download the newest, crashing, version from Google's servers).

What other precompiled browsers, including Chromium (last version to NOT require SSE2 ?) ?

Other, possibly non webkit based, nice modern browsers ?

Meanwhile I'm posting using Firefox 10 ESR, which I really hate - almost as much as I hate MSIE !

Edited by Ninho

You can have a try with SRware Iron:

The old versions are here:

http://download1.srware.net/old/

Super-duper idea ! Now posting using Iron-portable !

Warning : Version numbers on the download site are mismatched ! I wanted, at most, Chrome.exe version 34,

but Iron's "version 34" in fact has Chrome 35 (!) and, not unexpectedly, will NOT run here.

For anybody having the same requirements as I had (no SSE2), their most recent compatible version will have 

to be Portable Iron 33, housing Chrome.exe v 33.0.1800.0.

Now to try and get compatible extensions (I only really need Adblock Plus and Noscript/Scriptno - can't live

without the latter !)

[Edited : ... ] Google makes its best efforts to prevent us users of non-Google Chromium derivatives from downloading and installing extensions from their Store. Workaround : find and install extensions "unpacked" 

in "developer mode". Which lead me to this truly remarkable extension I'm now playing with in my Iron, "HTTPSwitchboard" [ https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard

Please share comments of that extension, ladies & gents, and please keep adding to the subject issue

of the thread - software which breaks on pre-SSE2 processors, and workarounds and replacements thereof.

Edited by Ninho

Another incredible webkit-based browser, which has its own thread in this very forum :

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170291-web-browsers/ 

I'm trying it now - didn't know it nefore - I must say I'm impressed ! Extremely slim,

portable installationn 6 MB ! that's six megabytes, not gigs :-) Fast, and also consumes much

less RAM than its better known rivals, and with all that it does what you expect from a modern browszer,

and more... WOW ! I'm bluffed ! Works fine on the Athlon-XP, of course since that

is the thread's motto ! 

... Google makes its best efforts to prevent us users of non-Google Chromium derivatives from downloading and installing extensions from their Store.

The easy way around this is to use the 'chrome-extension-downloader', in any browser you like, to download the requested Chrome Extension. Insert the web store url of the extension, or just the extension ID, into the box and click "Download Extension". You still might need to use "developer mode" to install.

Cheers and Regards

The easy way around this is to use the 'chrome-extension-downloader', in any browser you like, to download the requested Chrome Extension. Insert the web store url of the extension, or just the extension ID, into the box and click "Download Extension". You still might need to use "developer mode" to install.

Very nice ! Thank you, Bphlpt and regards, too !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

i found a pc with lot's of private data, which I deleted and installed everthing new.

ahtlon xp and windows xp sp3 32 bit

firefox 48.0.2

firefox addons from https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/

7 zip 32 bit newest version

ditto 3.21.134 - i like clipboard managers very much, very helpful tool

infrarecorder 0.53 discontinued so far

libreoffice 4.2.8 !!!

sumatrapdf newest

wmp 11, i just needed it to get access to my android smartphone with MTP which still did not work but i can still use it as a media player but mp4 playback didnt work until i installed lav filtes 0,69 this link helped me http://mydailytech.com/cracked-legitlibmdll-for-windows-media-player-11/

LAV filters 0.69 so that you can watch mp4-files with wmp 11 on non-sse2-cpus

i hope no one is interested in the download links. i don't want to search them but all of the programs i mentioned are downloadable with a little search till now

its a good feeling not to throw away old hardware. i dont understand really why people upgrade all their computers every year a working CRT monitor is not junk

On 3/19/2019 at 4:04 PM, henshrogi said:

its a good feeling not to throw away old hardware. i dont understand really why people upgrade all their computers every year a working CRT monitor is not junk

Sorry, but nowadays - CRTs take up more hydro, weigh more to move around, take up more desk real estate, and aren't as clear.  It's OK to hasten the disappearance of the CRT.  The flat screen provides so many more benefits and used ones cost next to nothing.

3 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

CRTs take up more hydro

You mean: "hydroelectric power"?
In any case, I do agree about the desk real estate. And they gave off a lot of heat, also. And were real heavy.
As for definition of image, I suppose you've never used a good old 19" Iris workstation CRT monitor, did you?
My only complaint about good LED / LCDs is the widescreen format: the old more-or-less square CRTs had much more screen real state than current widescreen LED / LCDs... particularly when you're stuck with a 14" monitor, as I do sometimes at work. But that's a problem that has spilt over from TVs, and not the other way around. Then again, the current 25" rotatable by 90° displays are awesome!

Sorry - in Canada we actually do just call it "hydro".  It's Canadian-specific slang.  But yes, you're "technically" correct :)

And better yet, I have a Samsung SyncMaster 213T 4x3 screen that is 22".  So I have the wide-screen benefit for web pages horizontally, but I have amazing vertical real estate.  It's nice to view a lot of information on one screen without scrolling  :)

So what was that Iris, TV, thingy, what was that :P (I'm just kidding)

Edited by Jody Thornton

palemoon see https://www.romanstefko.com/pale-moon-sse/

also i suggest lubuntu 16.04 with deleting flash-plugin-installer version 32 because flash supports sse1 up to version 10.x.x.x or 11x.x.x and firefox palemoon on linux won't start because flash doesn't allow it so after deleting you can also use the youngest firefox younger tha´n version 52

wincdemu (better than spyware adware daemon-tools) version 4.1. probably newest version.

there is a problem with installing. i think everyone knows the window if you want to istall a driver which is not signed by microsoft. this will appear a few seconds after starting the installation of wincdemu. you have to give attention to this to allow it. i accidently denied it because of pressing enter and had to start the installation again.

i won't test daemon tools