Skrell's RVMi POS Addon Issues

Skrell

I'm hoping somebody can please help me with this.  I'm currently following the directions here to make a POS addon for use with RVMi.

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=aio&start=3100#139773

However, when i integrate this addon along with my Onepiece's post SP3 updatepack my NTKRNLME.EX_ get's corrupt and winds up being only 1KB in size which then, obviously, won't allow me to install a working and up to date xp. 

Here are the packs i mentioned:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k13oprwv44w7zm/OnePiece_WinXP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_ENU.7z?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iem38pif4wlnaj/OnePiece_WinXP_Post-SP3_Addon_ENU.7z?dl=0

I'm currently using RVM 1.6.1b2.1 .  

This is a thread on application of POS Ready updates to XP

So far none of them have caused any problem, and a whole lot of people have tested them.

That noted ... the problem with your Addon is most probably not a rogue POSReady update. (So far, there aren't any.) In other words, your problem can probably be traced to your introduction of a non-POS Ready file. Your problem cannot be replicated by creation of an Addon that uses only POS Ready updates. I've created several, using ONLY POS Ready updates, and all of them have built a stable system.

This is a thread on application of POS Ready updates to XP

So far none of them have caused any problem, and a whole lot of people have tested them.

That noted ... the problem with your Addon is most probably not a rogue POSReady update. (So far, there aren't any.) In other words, your problem can probably be traced to your introduction of a non-POS Ready file. Your problem cannot be replicated by creation of an Addon that uses only POS Ready updates. I've created several, using ONLY POS Ready updates, and all of them have built a stable system.

did you create your addon(s) using dxupac ? If so can you please post explicit instructions ?

@Skrell - Not really sure about this, but I do believe you have to mod the Package before you can make an add-on otherwise it won't install. Did you read the very first post? The link you provided is *only* to create an Add-On and *not* to mod POS Update to allow for install. Which Update did you try to create (name the KB number, please) and where did you get it from?

> Has anybody else had this experience? MS gives me no information on what it wants to install ...

Yep, this seems to be normal. Not sure exactly when it crops up here, I think after a reinstall (but could be wrong).

I always allow this to install, never had any problems with it.

@Skrell - Not really sure about this, but I do believe you have to mod the Package before you can make an add-on otherwise it won't install. Did you read the very first post? The link you provided is *only* to create an Add-On and *not* to mod POS Update to allow for install. Which Update did you try to create (name the KB number, please) and where did you get it from?

I followed the directions to make the addon here :  http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=aio&start=3150&sid=e905fffd478e405270dae5cb348c345f#139873

And i got the directions to choose the KB's here:  http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=aio&start=3150&sid=e905fffd478e405270dae5cb348c345f#139896

I attached my final addon above, if you have time could you please check it?

DXUPAC by OnePiece can make a POS Updatepack from unmodified POS updates. I've been using it for quite some time now, a few days ago I made the new September 2015 POS Addon, integrated it into my XPSP3 source (along with OnePiece's last "official" post-sp3 XP updatepack). The nice thing about this approach is that you can build it in your own language.

Unfortunately, Skrell is having a problem with this, I have tried everything I can think of, but don't know how we can help him.

The best advice I can give is to try with as basic a setup as possible, once you get it working you can go from there.

Again, I've used this method for years now, I did have some problems along the way as well, but it does work. Too bad OnePiece has abandoned the project...

@heinoganda and atari -- re WSUS page -- solved -- to replicate the request by MS to install some kind of new program for the catalog update page, I found out I had to log on as administrative user -- only then does MS ask to install the new program, after which the catalog update page returns the needed search box. Logon as Admin -- fixed. If I loged on as usual limited user, it gives WSUS screen without search box ... (yea ok it's stupid, but I'm still graduating from win98se, so I figured eventually I had to figure out what this new limited users thing was all about ... then I got used to it and kind of like it ... of course any competent hacker walks right past the imaginary protections ...)

there are lots of people here and on ryanvm who would like to try to help skrell, but he refuses to provide the list of files (POS Ready and other) that he has been feeding into DXUPAC to create his failed addon, and of course the OS environment that he is using to run DXUPAC. The mods to DXUPAC to create an addon are very simple, and it would take only a few minutes to replicate (or not) the problem that he claims to be observing, but he refuses to provide the list of files that has been causing his problem. So far it seems there are no rogue POS Ready files, and DXUPAC continutes to work reliably in an XP pro with post-SP3 AIO update (with integration there is no need for XP Pro to spoof XP Embedded ...)

1.  I have gone farther than simply post the KB's i'm using, i posted the ENTIRE addon but no one has looked  at it to date.  

2.  I'm using WinXP SP3 and i'm sure i've also posted that info. 

KB2926765

KB2939576

KB2957509

KB2961072

KB2989935

KB2991963

KB2993254

KB2998579

KB3004361

KB3011780

KB3019215

KB3020338

KB3020393-v2

KB3021674

KB3023562

KB3033395

KB3033889

kb3033890

kb3033890

kb3033890

KB3039066

KB3046482

KB3049874

KB3055973-v3

kb3065822

kb3065979

kb3067903

kb3069392

kb3070102

kb3072630

kb3072633

kb3074886

kb3079904

Edited by Skrell

I just installed a fresh install of XP with all pre-EOL updates installed. I am going to apply the patch. Up to this point, what are the POSReady updates that I should decline? I know there was an update a while ago that messed with the "Internet" and "E-mail" links in the Start Menu, but are there any others that I shouldn't install?

@skrell -- I had looked at your final 7z addon, even did an integration and tried to setup a system with it. The setup failed, and as I remember it (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=139998) it was a corrupted ntkrnlmp.ex_.

Having the addon 7z was of little use, because you hadn't given us the list of files that were used to build the addon, until now.

Going back to the mid August issue (the list is now out of date in case anyone is checking), I built an addon with your list above using dxupac, integrated the addon with a clean XP sp3 hologram source and OnePiece's AIOv106, using RVMI in an XPsp3 system, and I get a normal ISO with a normal ntkrnlmp.ex_. I didn't try a build a system (It takes an hour since I don't have virtual machine ...), but we know that with a corrupted ntkrnlmp.ex_, the setup will fail. When I build and integrate I get a normal sized ntkrnlmp.ex_ To me, that suggests the problem may not be with the POSReady files (which until we had your list could not be excluded as a possibility), or with DXUPAC, or RVMI, but rather with your system or with your source. MD5s over at http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=140057

To me, that suggests the problem may not be with the POSReady files (which until we had your list could not be excluded as a possibility), or with DXUPAC, or RVMI, but rather with your system or with your source. MD5s over at http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=140057

I have to agree with Molecule. Skrell, please share more info on your system and source.

An anti virus program could also cause problems...

FWIW, to help skrell, and anyone else who wishes to build a POSReady Addon, Molecule posted some wonderfully detailed instructions over at Ryan's.  See here and here.  (While it is only tested using RVMi, I believe the process might work as well using nLite, and in any case should be at least remotely on-topic for this thread. :) )

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Split from here -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/#entry1108610

Noting that a number of folks complain about Add-Ons built from other sources (e.g. RyanVM and WinCert).Please, folks, bear in mind that we can *attempt* to help, but going directly to the source may be a better idea since we would have to dig *elsewhere* just to turn around and link to it "over there". :}

Edited by submix8c