2 Backup Hard disks went RAW

dcmc

Hi,

I am running into a hard disk issue that I am running out of clue to how to proceed.  I searched for hints online but have yet to come across something that works.

Originally I have a 4TB hard disk that I was using as backup, and it went into RAW mode from NTFS.  It started when I plug it into USB bay.  Tried some partition scan software, but it cannot clone the files/folder out properly.

Is there a way to reverse the RAW mode so I can read the hard disk again?

While trying to backup my home server hard disk, same thing happened.  I suppose I cannot rely on USB bay (lessons learned). 

So now, I have 2 hard disk in RAW (a 4TB and a 2TB), please help!  Losing my mind on hard disk =(

Sorry for the trouble!

Tried some partition scan software, but it cannot clone the files/folder out properly.

Well, this may depend on WHAT (exactly) you tried and HOW (exactly) you tried them.

If you used any of the seemingly easy "automagic" apps that promise to recover everything, it is very possible that they simply did not work because the "whatever" happened to your disk(s) is "outside" the scope/ability of the tool.

On the other hand, if you made attempts with actuall "good" tools like TESTDISK or DMDE what exactly you did with them (or how exactly you used them) makes a difference between total failure and complete success.

Start again with the Standard Litany:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

Describe in detail your environment (running OS) how the disk(s) were partitioned (as far as you can remember) the exact make/model of the disks, etc.

It is extremely rare that a NTFS filesystem (particularly one that was used as a backup media, which usually tend to provoke little or no fragmentation) cannot be recovered, if needed at least with a file based recovery.

A good idea (if you can do this) is to rule out the USB controller/converter/case and directly connect the hard disk to the (I have to guess SATA) bus of a machine.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the reply jumper and jaclaz!

Did not realize the board do not send out email to notify me of any thread reply.  Will check more frequently now.

jumper: both hard disks were used on x32 system (Windows home server OS).  The 4TB hard disk went raw when power was interrupted on the x32 home server, and the 2TB went raw when I plug it into x64 (windows 8) machine using USB bay.

jaclaz: i will download testdisk and give it a try, before that, let me give you the problem report...

Describe in detail your environment (running OS)

4TB drive: it was a backup drive that I plugged into the Windows home server as a backup of some files.  It changed into RAW in the Windows home server setting.

2TB drive: it was part of the data pool in the Windows home server.  It changed into RAW as I plug the hard disk into Windows 8 x64 machine using a USB bay.

how the disk(s) were partitioned (as far as you can remember)

4TB drive: i remembered this one, the drive was formatted in a windows 7 x64 machine as NTFS in 1 big partition of full volume.

2TB drive: i do not fully remembered this drive, but it should be a NTFS system previously, either formatted by the Windows home server or I formatted it on the side in windows 7 x32 machine as NTFS in 1 big partition of full volume.

the exact make/model of the disks

4TB drive: Seagate desktop HDD, 4000GB @ 5900rpm, Model ST4000DM000

2TB drive: Hitachi deskstar, 2.0TB, Model HDS5C3020ALA632

So, the 4TB was being used to backup some files on the Windows home server (WHS), and power interrupted the the hard disk turned into raw.  It was plugged into a USB ext bay.  I tried to scan with Easeus Data Recovery but all the files were shown renamed and no structure, so I give up on that.  Hard disk were left unplugged since that time.  I took out the 2TB drive to backup on the side, but when I plugged into the WIndows 8 system, the drive was shown as RAW, so either before in the WHS or when I start it up in the Windows 8 system, it turned into RAW.

Please let me know your recommendation how I should proceed.

Thanks!

Check these two threads:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170392-how-to-recover-accidentaly-deleted-partitionfiles/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162321-hard-drive-bad-boot-sector-windows-8/

To have an idea of the tools commonly used (mainly testdisk and dmde) in this kind of recovery attempts.

The base "preliminary" step suggested is usually that of making an image, or a clone, of the source harddisk, but in your case probably this is not really needed, you can run TESTDISK (with the /log switch) or DMDE (or both) and unless you explicitly tell them to write or change something you can have a peek at the situation, likely they will find the address (and the data) of the volume, NTFS has two copies of the PBR or bootsector and from these the tools can recreate the partition table data in the MBR (I am supposing that the "RAW" status is simply a rather common case of MBR or partition table *somehow* wiped).

The disks (besides the "RAW" state do not make strange noises (like clicking or buzzing) and they do spin up normally, don't they?

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try to run TESTDISK on both of them and see what happens.

Cloning the 4TB would be tough, it is a big drive.  Cloning the 2TB is do-able as I have a spare 2TB.  Maybe I will try that one first.

Both the 4TB and 2TB booted up into windows and shown as RAW partition in Disk Management, so I believe the disks are powering up normally.  There are no click noise or buzzing noise as well, so I hope it might be what you said that can re-create the partition table to correct this RAW issue.  Now I am just trying to avoid plugging hard disks into ext USB bay, it gives me chills now every time, I will try to power them thru int. SATA bus.

Thanks.

There might be a "queer" issue with sector size, the topic is touched in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173265-formatting-an-external-drive-using-different-interfaces/

In that case the particular external case the OP used had a different behaviour when used through e-sata interface (which equates to "internal SATA") and when used through the USB interface.

In practice the disk was 4 Kb sectored, the e-sata in the external case allowed this "native" geometry to "pass through", whilst the USB controller converted it to a 512 bytes sector device.

Your Seagate 4 Tb disk is definitely 4 Kb sectored, I didn't check the HItachi one, but it is possible that it is also 4 kb sectored.

The mentioned thread is about a workaround (a "special" partitioning scheme) to be able to use the same disk through both interfaces, in your case you should run Testdisk (and/or DMDE) with the disk attached through the same interface type it was originally partitioned/formatted.

jaclaz