Windows XP Detects only 932 MB RAM. (I have installed 6 gb) Help!?

Opticork

Hello!  :hello:

- Before all, I want to say sorry for my Bad English!

I am using HP Pavilion G6 2303su that is supposed to be running Windows 8. Before few weeks ago, I find drivers for Windows XP. Those drivers were not available from the HP site, but most of them were signed by my manufacturer, so I decided to install Windows XP.

When I installed it I had a few problems and I solve all of them, expect the problem with my RAM memory. My Laptop have 6 GB of RAM, but unfortunately Windows XP recognizes only 932 MB of RAM. (I am sure that the problem is not from my RAM, because the BIOS recognizes the whole 6 GB and CPUID does too.)

wPMiQqq.png

Any suggestions how to fix it will be greatly appreciated!  :)

Hmmm. :unsure:

It is seemingly a known issue with a number of HP laptops (not connected only to XP but also to 7) and even - incredibly - also to 8 32 bit version, see:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Installed-memory-4GB-932MB-Usable/td-p/2552171

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Hardware-reserved-memory-in-Hp-pavillion-g6-2225tu-in/td-p/2489207

From what I can understand the core issue is a mis-setting *somewhere* in BIOS (or UEFI, *whatever*) that makes a large part of the memory "hardware reserved".

It is possible (but you will need to find the specific model updated BIOS download page) that an updated working BIOS exists *like*:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/usable-memory-less-than-physical-memory/td-p/3072179

And of course, even if an updated BIOS exists and you have no issues in flashing it (which is in itself a "risky" operation), there is no real guarantee that it will work with XP also.

jaclaz

None of them worked, but I think that I am one step forward, because I realized that when I go to msconfig > boot.ini > Advanced Options and click MAXMEM, it shows 933 and If I try to change it to a higher value, and click "OK", and try opening it again or restarting the Computer is back to 933, but if I change it to lower value it works.

The same happens and when I try manually editing C:\boot.ini and type /maxmem=3072, and restart the pc it again changes back to 933

Does someone know how to fix this?

you are better off to XP 64bit

32bit won't see above ~3024 MB

as it loads in graphic card RAM too

you say you have 6 gigs of RAM, but honestly with that

I'd switch to win 7 and simply modify it to be as XP-ish as it can if you're so into XP look and feel

you are better off to XP 64bit

32bit won't see above ~3024 MB

as it loads in graphic card RAM too

you say you have 6 gigs of RAM, but honestly with that

I'd switch to win 7 and simply modify it to be as XP-ish as it can if you're so into XP look and feel

To switch into Windows  XP 64 bit is the best option, but unfortunately I can't find any drivers for it and I can't even install it, because I get bsod on the setup, so the only left option is to stay with Windows XP 32 bit and somehow get up to 3 gb ram just, because I don't like the Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 visual style. (The themes for Windows XP are terible... :} ) 

Any other suggestions or fixes?  :angel

Edited by Opticork

Здравей, направил си най-разумното решение, а и като гледам що за щайга имаш - ХР няма да ти е много полезен. ;) Аз самият също предпочитам Vista пред 7, просто защото Vista е по-красив. Ако искаш да го направиш по-лек има няколко сайта, които обясняват как се изключват ненужни процеси като принтиране, ако нямаш принтер, свързани устройства и прочие. А за драйвъри има Driver Pack Solution, на мен лично ми върши чудесна работа. :)

Поздрави!

PS: Sorry guys, English is not the only language in the world... :angel

Здравей, направил си най-разумното решение, а и като гледам що за щайга имаш - ХР няма да ти е много полезен. ;) Аз самият също предпочитам Vista пред 7, просто защото Vista е по-красив. Ако искаш да го направиш по-лек има няколко сайта, които обясняват как се изключват ненужни процеси като принтиране, ако нямаш принтер, свързани устройства и прочие. А за драйвъри има Driver Pack Solution, на мен лично ми върши чудесна работа. :)

Поздрави!

No, but at least please provide a translation for the rest of us:

Hello, do your best solution, and by watching what you crate - XP you will not be very useful. ;) I myself also prefer Vista to 7, simply because Vista is more beautiful. If you want to make it easier, there are several sites that explain how to exclude unnecessary processes such as printing, unless you have a printer connected devices and so on. And drivers have Driver Pack Solution, me, personally, doing a great job. :)

Greetings!

Cheers and Regards

Поздрави!

Аз ползвам DriverMax. То автоматично ми инсталира драйверите и ми върши чудесна работа! Като се има в предвид, че компютъра ми е за Windows 8.1, определено върши доста добра работа! И да не забравяме, че драйвери за Intel HD Graphics 4000 за Windows Vista не съществуват!  :thumbup

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Translation: I use DriverMax. It automatically installs all of my drivers and it does a great job! Bearing in mind that my computer is for Windows 8.1, it is definitely doing a pretty good job! Keep in mind that drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000 for Windows Vista don't exist!  :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

Windows 7 is ugly, but the abundance of themes for it beg to differ :) This is my setup of 7: http://i.imgur.com/iyKA8mZ.jpg

Windows XP x86 is limited to RAM support, but there are PAE patches you can try. XP x64 is the best bet, but drivers can be a needle in the haystack. If you're content with Vista, feel free to keep it. Great OS with the SP's. Only hitch is finding drivers on some devices.

Windows 7 is ugly, but the abundance of themes for it beg to differ :) This is my setup of 7: http://i.imgur.com/iyKA8mZ.jpg

Windows XP x86 is limited to RAM support, but there are PAE patches you can try. XP x64 is the best bet, but drivers can be a needle in the haystack. If you're content with Vista, feel free to keep it. Great OS with the SP's. Only hitch is finding drivers on some devices.

I just installed XP again. I was not able to find any drivers for my PC for Windows Vista or XP x64.  :no:

Now I should stick with 1 gb of ram.