Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4.1

bigmuscle

Unfortunately, like many others the Anniversary Update completely broke Aero Glass (constant display driver crashes causing the screen to flicker, ctrl+alt+delete opening up a blank grey screen that I can't get out of, a random black screen eventually appearing over my desktop that I can't get out of, artifacts where the top border of a window used to be transparent, etc) so I decided to uninstall it until we get an update. I uninstalled it which immediately fixed the display issues, reverted to an earlier build, and reinstalled the Anniversary Update. Everything seems ok, but I'm just curious, is simply uninstalling it from the control panel enough? From what I understand, this software deeply imbeds itself into the OS, so I just want to make sure so I don't have any problems with future updates with Windows, or Aero Glass.

Edited by apav

8 minutes ago, apav said:

Unfortunately, like many others the Anniversary Update completely broke Aero Glass (constant display driver crashes causing the screen to flicker, ctrl+alt+delete opening up a blank grey screen that I can't get out of, a random black screen eventually appearing over my desktop that I can't get out of, artifacts where the top border of a window used to be transparent, etc) so I decided to uninstall it until we get an update. I uninstalled it which immediately fixed the display issues, reverted to an earlier build, and reinstalled the Anniversary Update. Everything seems ok, but I'm just curious, is simply uninstalling it from the control panel enough? From what I understand, this software deeply imbeds itself into the OS, so I just want to make sure so I don't have any problems with future updates with Windows, Aero Glass, or if he decides to continue Windows 10 support in a new software.

You just have to remove everything from installation directory and delete “Aero Glass” task if it's still present in Task Scheduler. That's all unless you modified something in Windows Registry Editor in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.

5 minutes ago, MDJ said:

You just have to remove everything from installation directory and delete “Aero Glass” task if it's still present in Task Scheduler. That's all unless you modified something in Windows Registry Editor in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.

Thank you! That task was still there. As for the Registry Editor, I don't recall if I modified something there but I don't see anything related to Aero Glass. What should I look for? And is there anything from the Aero Glass folder I should hold on to, like my donation.key?

Edited by apav

12 minutes ago, apav said:

Thank you! That task was still there. As for the Registry Editor, I don't recall if I modified something there but I don't see anything related to Aero Glass. What should I look for? And is there anything from the Aero Glass folder I should hold onto, like my donation.key?

Make sure that AppInit_DLLs is empty and LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 0 (0x000000...). As you aren't keeping Aero Glass any more you don't need to leave anything although it's a good idea to move donation.key somewhere else so in the future you don't have to search for it.

WindowsBlinds or not, all I mean, I love AeroGlass bigmuscle but the current concern and I do not, then I have but I do not keep them,
WindowsBlinds well for Windows 7.8.8.1 but not for 10 more and it paid so I told myself to put WindowsBlinds could probably help bigmuscle find the solution, excuse me I translated with google .I does not WindowsBlinds to compete for plus it n and not the same.

2 hours ago, MDJ said:

Make sure that AppInit_DLLs is empty and LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 0 (0x000000...). As you aren't keeping Aero Glass any more you don't need to leave anything although it's a good idea to move donation.key somewhere else so in the future you don't have to search for it.

Oh wow, I didn't see this on my first glance. AppInit_DLLs has the value "C:\AEROGL~1\ModernFrame.dll" so I just delete that part? Thinking back I'm sure I never tinkered with my registry for Aero Glass. I'm not sure why this is there and why uninstalling didn't get rid of it. Well nothing to worry about I guess.

On 2016-08-11 at 2:52 AM, apav said:

Oh wow, I didn't see this on my first glance. AppInit_DLLs has the value "C:\AEROGL~1\ModernFrame.dll" so I just delete that part? Thinking back I'm sure I never tinkered with my registry for Aero Glass. I'm not sure why this is there and why uninstalling didn't get rid of it. Well nothing to worry about I guess.

It means that this key was changed by the installer automatically because when installing you chose that you want to have glass enabled on frames of modern apps too.

• 1 month later...
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Dblake1 said:

I just noticed the Experimental Builds topic was locked... I wonder if BM's getting sick of people hounding him about a new build.

I'm not commenting on the above -- I just have to say, I love your signature! :thumbup

--JorgeA

On 2016-08-13 at 1:49 AM, MDJ said:

It means that this key was changed by the installer automatically because when installing you chose that you want to have glass enabled on frames of modern apps too.

When did you see that choice?  I didn't see any such window come up.

• 1 month later...
On 2016-10-16 at 11:39 PM, Ex_Brit said:

When did you see that choice?  I didn't see any such window come up.

I'm not sure about the installer now as I haven't installed Aero Glass in quite a while but installation window used to contain the option marked in the screenshot attached to this message.

muo-w10-add-aero-aeroglass-setup.png