Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4.1

bigmuscle

Furthermore, the Full Screen Start Menu (Win8 style home screen) is broken under Aero Glass. There is no transparency blur and there is a lot of nasty flickering going on.

I don‘t normally use Start in fullscreen but Saijin_Naib is right about Start Screen flickering when moving elements.

If needed, I can take a photo or a video with my camera, you could see strange black rectangles appearing in various places. Talking about blur, it‘d be better if it‘d be enabled there like it‘s in non-fullscreen Start menu.

And is there supposed to be the blur effect under fullscreen Start screen? It did for me in the past, but now there seems to be only my wallpaper image and no blur and no flickering.

The new files that you put in your site are working great with 10565 insider build, before, the blur effect doesn't work well, now, is working great, thanks bigmuscle   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Edited by carlitosoo555

Me too

"...The new files that you put in your site are working great with 10565 insider build, before, the blur effect doesn't work well, now, is working great, thanks bigmuscle   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:..."

Edited by mikedigitize

Has anyone else noticed that AeroGlass and StartIsBack don't play nice under Win10, whereas they did fine under Win8.1?

Specifically, it looks like StartIsBack is ignoring the atlas for the Start Menu, as well as the taskbar.

Furthermore, the Full Screen Start Menu (Win8 style home screen) is broken under Aero Glass. There is no transparency blur and there is a lot of nasty flickering going on.

Why would the Atlas image have anything to do with either the Start menu or Taskbar, the Atlas image is only for DWM images, so it would only effect the window frames and caption buttons, the Taskbar in Windows 10 is completely non themeable and as for StartIsBack, it is a start menu replacement that is meant to bring back the Windows 7 style start menu and it does just that, granted the default Windows 10 start menu is effected by the Atlas image as it changes part of the frame but I have always looked at that as a negative anyway and something I have seen other members ask BM if it can be fixed.

As for full screen start menu, it is exactly the same as it's always been, there was never a blur, it has always only shown the desktop wallpaper and nothing else, exactly as it should be as blur is primarily used to add focus on the active window and blur any other open windows that are shown behind it.

Also related to StartIsBack and maybe this is what you were trying to refer to is it's support for the native Windows 10 blur effect that can be enabled for both the Taskbar and Start Menu and would indeed ignore any related settings for Aero Glass.

Edited by MrGRiM

I looked through many topics today to find out more about your "free" model and why some people say that your policy is called "shameless". 

If I speak from my own experience as a free user. I highly appreciate your work and am very fond of your program but I'm sadly in no position to actually give you any money (people in western europe might think, "jesus it's just 3€" but you know, that's like half a weeks worth of food for me). 

So I'm thankful and ok with you allowing us free users to use your software. I'm ok with watermark on all displays of my multiscreen system. I would be ok with your notification IF...

IF that stupid notification poped up really only during the start of system (I almost never turn off my computer and restart system like once a two weeks). It would be even cool if it popped up every twelve of so hours, as it does (and alt+tabing seems to shorten the timer), but when it is always put above other programs even those in fullscreen mode that is WRONG and shameless. And I'm not talking about games here (although it also made me lose many times already) but during work? When you are in middle of a long text (I'm working as coder and translator) and suddenly in the middle of your typing wild popup appears and messes with your text, geeez. 

Ok, you as all the other product creators say "don't like it, don't use it" but your free of use on web never said anything about "ruining your work unless you pay".

So I'm asking is there a reasonable solution to this or should I as many others look into cracked versions (although you made a really good effort in blocking them)?

PS. this post is not meant to offend the author or be rude. I'm trying to be as polite as is humanly possible after months of frustration.

Edited by Civic

Has anyone else noticed that AeroGlass and StartIsBack don't play nice under Win10, whereas they did fine under Win8.1?

Specifically, it looks like StartIsBack is ignoring the atlas for the Start Menu, as well as the taskbar.

Why would the Atlas image have anything to do with either the Start menu or Taskbar, the Atlas image is only for DWM images, so it would only effect the window frames and caption buttons, the Taskbar in Windows 10 is completely non themeable and as for StartIsBack, it is a start menu replacement that is meant to bring back the Windows 7 style start menu and it does just that, granted the default Windows 10 start menu is effected by the Atlas image as it changes part of the frame but I have always looked at that as a negative anyway and something I have seen other members ask BM if it can be fixed.

As for full screen start menu, it is exactly the same as it's always been, there was never a blur, it has always only shown the desktop wallpaper and nothing else, exactly as it should be as blur is primarily used to add focus on the active window and blur any other open windows that are shown behind it.

Also related to StartIsBack and maybe this is what you were trying to refer to is it's support for the native Windows 10 blur effect that can be enabled for both the Taskbar and Start Menu and would indeed ignore any related settings for Aero Glass.

I mis-spoke. I meant the reflection image. Under Win 8/8.1, the start menu and the taskbar respected the reflection image. Under Win10, StartIsBack does not respect the reflection image.

The Full Screen Start Menu is broken. It flickers and exhibits other abberations.

Well, I'm going to be the first to say I get flickering and blocking even without glass enabled. Two different systems, both run nVidia cards.

Start menu, or notification panel

So I think its a driver issue not aeroglass.

It seems to be happening less often though.

Well, I'm going to be the first to say I get flickering and blocking even without glass enabled. Two different systems, both run nVidia cards.

Start menu, or notification panel

So I think its a driver issue not aeroglass.

It seems to be happening less often though.

I‘ve tried using Start Screen in fullscreen with Aero Glass disabled and there was no flickering.

Hi Big Muscle,

I've detected what looks like a possible design problem...

Whenever I log off I see logged in the Windows Application log a message implying that aerohost.exe is holding onto a user registry key...

RegistryLeak.png

The reason I'm investigating this is that when I run a MalwareBytes Antimalware scan, I'm getting messages logged claiming the user registry is corrupted.

Is there a workaround to the above?  Would using the system portion of the registry to configure Aero Glass instead of the user portion help?

Others using Aero Glass on Win 8.1...  Do you see a message like this when you log off?

-Noel

Hi Big Muscle,

I've detected what looks like a possible design problem...

Whenever I log off I see logged in the Windows Application log a message implying that aerohost.exe is holding onto a user registry key...

RegistryLeak.png

The reason I'm investigating this is that when I run a MalwareBytes Antimalware scan, I'm getting messages logged claiming the user registry is corrupted.

Is there a workaround to the above?  Would using the system portion of the registry to configure Aero Glass instead of the user portion help?

Others using Aero Glass on Win 8.1...  Do you see a message like this when you log off?

-Noel

I have found the same error for a log off today with aerohost.exe

857059aerohost.jpg

Thanks for confirming you see it too.  It's entirely possible this is normal to see (noting that it's an Informational). 

I see the above message logged (without listing aerohost.exe of course) even if I don't have Aero Glass for Win 8+ running at all, so if it's a bug the Aero Glass product isn't the only one that does it.

The actual registry corruption message I'm investigating was logged during a MalwareBytes Antimalware scan and may have nothing to do with this.  In fact, there's online evidence others are seeing it with MBAM and that it might have something to do with Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition.  I'm still gathering information on that.

-Noel