Possible to change look of Windows 10 Taskbar?

Delicieuxz

The Windows 10 taskbar's flat and bland appearance isn't to everyone's liking, and I'm wondering if it is possible with Startisback, even possible as a future feature, to modify the appearance of the Windows 10 taskbar, to make it look like it is in Windows 7, or even better, like it is in Windows Vista.

I would also love to see this in Windows 10, would love it if there was a way to make the Taskbar fully themeable again, Start 10 has made it possible to add a simple image to the taskbar but I would much prefer to have the old Taskbar, Taskband and Tray Notify images themeable again.

• 4 weeks later...

That's an interesting area to dig in, however skinning just for sake of skinning is not my cup of tea. Most taskbar drawing is now hardcoded and not so easy to change.

There are some enhancements Windows taskbar utterly lacks which I would like to see, so I hope we would see some.

That's an interesting area to dig in, however skinning just for sake of skinning is not my cup of tea. Most taskbar drawing is now hardcoded and not so easy to change.

There are some enhancements Windows taskbar utterly lacks which I would like to see, so I hope we would see some.

I realise it's not something your interested in but I think allot of your customers might like to have the option, especially those who are big on skinning like the thousands of members on my site and DeviantArt, allot of those feel the same as me and stick with Windows 7 or 8 because of the more customizable features, at the moment those who want to customize the taskbar use SiB to make the taskbar transparent and then use an old program called Taskbar Color Effects http://www.thewindowsclub.com/add-color-effects-windows-7-taskbar-taskbar-color-effectsto add a single large image or a smaller tiled one, this sort of works but it's a very limited implementation as it ads the image as a background so windows are on top of it and it's a bit buggy.

I know that in Windows 10 the classes and properties for the taskbar have been removed but these can easily be added back and Windows 8.1 themes still work on Windows 10 aside from missing the taskbar and some having a messed up taskitem spacing.

If not a SiB option then maybe an OldNewExplorer option, although I think it's better suited to SiB as you already have several options that focus on the Taskbar.

• 2 months later...

however skinning just for sake of skinning is not my cup of tea.

The majority of use do not skin just for the "sake" of skinning, most of us now, especially those on Windows 10 skin for the "sake" of our eyes, the Windows 10 UI is just too bright.

I too would like to see a themeable taskbar option in SIB, I think it would increase sales to SIB tremendously, especially since Stardock is doing it, and most of us that use Start 10 would rather not. Personally, I hate Stardocks products because EVERYTHING they make must run in the tray and sucks down system resources, but in some instances must use Start10 in order to get the themeable taskbar, I also own a copy of SIB but have not used or installed it since Windows 10 has come out because there is no option to theme the taskbar with it, so what is the sense of installing it if the start menu does not match the taskbar of the custom theme?

You may want to re-think your strategy with SIB, adding a themeable taskbar option would increase your customer base significantly. Also because I think that SIB is a much better product than Start 10 ..... hands down.

Edited by DarkKnight

This is just a couple of quick screenshots, I had to re-install start 10 to show you this, If you select "pick custom image" you can add pretty much any image you like aka themeable taskbar, Here you go .........

.Screenshot%208.png

Screenshot%2010_1.png

Edited by DarkKnight

This is just a couple of quick screenshots, I had to re-install start 10 to show you this, If you select "pick custom image" you can add pretty much any image you like aka themeable taskbar, Here you go .........

.Screenshot%208.png

Screenshot%2010_1.png

Wow, the final result is much better than I expected this program would be capable of! I definitely need to give a try, even though I like default Windows 10 Start Menu.

Ok, here we go. Taskbar skinning!

http://startisback.com/StartIsBackPlusPlus_setup.exe

StartIsBack++ adds back support for Taskbar2Composited::TaskBar skin part support for lite and full msstyles.

Included Windows 7 skin now comes with Windows 7 taskbar background.

ERNRWC7.png

This is amazing mate, will test this out now, thanks for taking the time to do this for us :)

Edit: OK this works perfect so far  for the Taskbar2Composited::TaskBar but we still need Taskband2Composited::TaskBand2 for the centre image. if you can do that I would be very grateful, keep up the amazing work that you do, you truly are appreciated more then you know.

Also this may be a personal choice so it would probably be a good idea to have the option to disable this feature.

Edited by MrGRiM

Wow, I cannot believe this, I woke up this morning intending on having to purchase Start10 because my trial was running out and Grim had ported over HUD Evolution to 10, I just decided to check my previous post and I saw this.

Tihiy, you are the man!

Now I don't have to fork any money over to Starbloat. :yes: