Looks to me like Win 10 will top out at about 10% adoption

NoelC

Else they might realize it's time to oust Nadella, then ask Bill Gates back. A similar move saved Apple, in the past. It might even work!

One thing's for certain, and that is that by bringing Gates back they can hardly do any worse than they currently are.

Sure! And he might even find a way to steer things back in line, while most of the customers haven't yet gone away for good...

Tonight I finished scanning through a backlog of hundreds of Insider Forum thread posts. Sadly, the saying that pops into my head when it comes to Windows 10 is:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

But you're right, there is definitely a hard core of Win8 users who concur with us that Win10 is unacceptable.

--JorgeA

Else they might realize it's time to oust Nadella, then ask Bill Gates back. A similar move saved Apple, in the past. It might even work!

One thing's for certain, and that is that by bringing Gates back they can hardly do any worse than they currently are.

Sure! And he might even find a way to steer things back in line, while most of the customers haven't yet gone away for good...

Agreed. Gates is IMO the only figure with a strong enough reputation to turn around the MSFT ship. Assuming that he even thinks it needs turning around: I just remembered (?) reading somewhere that he approves of the direction the company has been taking, but the details escape me now.

--JorgeA

Then again, even if he strongly disapproves of the direction the company has been taking, if he admitted it publicly, he'd be helping it fail... No. Being away and having his strong reputation, the only thing he ought to say is that he approves of the direction the company has been taking... in fact he has no choice, but to declare that. Even if he refused commenting on it, it would amount to a negative evaluation he just cannot afford to broadcast.

^^ Yes, that makes sense.

I guess the hope, then, would be that he privately disagrees with the company's direction, and would point it a different way if he were put back at the helm.

--JorgeA

I guess the hope, then, would be that he privately disagrees with the company's direction, and would point it a different way if he were put back at the helm.

--JorgeA

If it makes him $$$, why should he?

Phrases that come to mind:

What about: "there's no such thing as a free lunch!" ? :)

Almost, but not quite.

Right now it seems like there's no such thing as a good lunch (free or paid for). :(

jaclaz

--JorgeA

If it makes him $$$, why should he?

Agreed.

We're speculating on the possibility (OK, we're hoping :} ) that Gates sees what they're doing to Windows as bad for Microsoft in the longer term.

--JorgeA

I don't think Microsoft is in peril and its customers won't going anywhere else no matter what cos they've got nowhere else to go. Adoption of 10 might just get slower than they want but in the end they'll get most PC users to their new platform/business model/whatnot as usual.

And then I don't think Bill Gates is a good guy that could "save" the company. He is the world's richest individual and prominent member of an hyper-wealthy elite that gathers every year at Davos to decide/discuss/plan what the future will be for us plebs and that surely (IMHO) include the orwellian direction Microsoft has now obviously  taken...

... its customers won't going anywhere else no matter what cos they've got nowhere else to go ...

^ Reminds me of general Segdwick's famous last words: "Rest easy boys, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distanc ... AAAARGH!"