Looks to me like Win 10 will top out at about 10% adoption

NoelC

That little clock icon really implies "it's urgent" doesn't it?

The good thing about different points of view is all in this :yes:.

All I can see is a L (does it stand for "Loser"? :unsure:) inside a circle (not properly centered/aligned, but this is I believe pretty much normal with Windows fonts and rendering ;)).

:lol:

jaclaz

^^ Funny you should say that jaclaz, I thought something along the same lines -- "what's that L inside a circle??"  :D

EDIT: Well, that's what they get for abandoning "skeuomorphism" so that images no longer resemble what they want to indicate. <_<

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Yep :yes: and BTW there is an unwritten "standard" by watchmakers along which photos of watches and clocks (for advertisements, catalogs, etc) are always taken with the hands on  ten minutes past ten.

jaclaz

You heard it here first, folks.

Looking forward...  Has anyone found anything redeeming in the pre-release code re: what's being changed for the first "service pack"? 

If Microsoft were still a viable software company, shouldn't we be hearing about fantastic new features about now?  Surely thousands of software engineers ought to be able to code more than just additional privacy intrusions.

-Noel

Based on disparities between the various stats gathering services, I wouldn't look very far past the first digit.

Plus, don't I recall that various browsers now lie and give whatever client ID string is likely to make the web site deliver good data?

-Noel

IMO XP has something like 12% give or take some 2%, perhaps.

Then again, while you're right about lying browsers, users able to spoof the UserAgent are savvy users: those are few, and most just spoof the browser type and/or version... few bother with spoofing also the OS, because that is usually irrelevant... anyhow they should be so few as to not interfere with the available statistics. 

Another blog post on the same subject:

Windows 10's growth slows dramatically

If you’re wondering how Windows 10’s current rate of growth compares with that of past operating systems, I can tell you. When Windows 7 launched it took just one month to take 6.21 percent of the market, and it was at 8.30 percent by the following month. Windows 8 on the other hand was a disaster at launch, managing just 1.76 percent in its first full month, and hitting 2.53 percent in its second month.

Both of those operating systems launched at the end of October though, so had the holiday buying season helping them (which makes the scale of Windows 8’s failure to perform look even worse).

Surely the timing of the Windows 10 launch is more than offset by the aggressive approach Microsoft has taken to get Win10 installed on existing PCs.

Which makes the adoption rate so far rather, um, disappointing. ;)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

After 6 weeks I'm STILL off by no more than a few percent.  While having underestimated Win 10's take-up rate slightly, I'm still dead on with Win 8.1 (which is the system I personally use most and know very well), and look up top - Windows 7 may well be rebounding back toward my original prediction!

ProjectedCurves_10_12.png

The gradually leveling Windows 10 curve to me clearly shows a company using up its reputation.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I have to agree it is rather worrying....

Looks like we need to have a party...

I, for one, can bring the beer...

Another laughable little Microsoft crap day...

Had a customer that was having problems with her Skype account and wasn't sure of the procedure....come to me and we will fix it I said....

Turned out that she had two accounts already and despite best efforts didn't work getting a new password..kept on getting a link to click on and add the security code...but it was always...you need to log out and login again....

The answer to this little story was simple..my customer has a hotmail account...it would seem Microsoft could fix that as her Skype account in seconds...

I do remember someone saying the resistance is futile..... :}

Don't you just love Microsoft...

bookie32

Windows 10's growth slows dramatically

If you’re wondering how Windows 10’s current rate of growth compares with that of past operating systems, I can tell you. When Windows 7 launched it took just one month to take 6.21 percent of the market, and it was at 8.30 percent by the following month. Windows 8 on the other hand was a disaster at launch, managing just 1.76 percent in its first full month, and hitting 2.53 percent in its second month.

Both of those operating systems launched at the end of October though, so had the holiday buying season helping them (which makes the scale of Windows 8’s failure to perform look even worse).

And that's the reason why they tried to force that thing without consent last week.

NuMicrosoft is a complete trainwreck. All their garbage-plans of the past three years didn't work and they aren’t even interested in any solution to their problem. Their problem is the my-way-highway approach, and unfortunately their way stinks. It got even worse with Nadella.

No one is interested in their metro craps, because THEY ARE STILL WORSE THAN THE WIN32 ONES.

No one wants an OS on the PC that is almost completely uncontrollable and unpredictable. Windows 10, due its always-changing nature is not a reliable OS. And Microsoft keeps patching in more and more hostile actions into it (see the start-menu ads in the newest builds). Just how the eff is that appealing and how is that good for building trust in their update-mechanism?

No week passes by without a major consumer-hostile NuMicrosoft blunder. I have never seen a company so eager to be aborted.
Edited by Formfiller

Trouble is, I'm still not sure I have all the 'T's crossed and 'I's dotted to be able to run my Win 8.1 and 7 systems indefinitely.

I found something on the Win 7 system where the "Windows Activation Validation Task" has to run every few months.  I allowed it through the firewall so hopefully the next run on December 14 will just succeed.  I assume something like that if not allowed to run will just kill the activation.

No doubt Windows 8.1 has something like that too, but it's not in the scheduler and it's not called WatAdminSvc.exe, so I don't know which of the blocked communications is going to lead to activation failure.

If I'm having trouble figuring this out, I'm imagining a lot of other folks are also going to have trouble running WIndows 8.x and 7 forever.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC