Install_wim_tweak can someone please help me?

Install_wim_tweak I found some info on the net, commands how to remove windows apps etc. But I do not know how to start using that app as there's not much on the net.

I got Install_wim_tweak 4.6 and planning to use it to remove some packages from current os then from win iso, windows 10

When I open Install_wim_tweak cmd starts and app ask me for path, what should I put in there?

Also should I create some extra folders do anything extra before being able to remove windows packages?

Can someone please explain how to use Install_wim_tweak for newbies. ?

Thanks

Install_wim_tweak I found some info on the net, commands how to remove windows apps etc. But I do not know how to start using that app as there's not much on the net.

I got Install_wim_tweak 4.6 and planning to use it to remove some packages from current os then from win iso, windows 10

When I open Install_wim_tweak cmd starts and app ask me for path, what should I put in there?

Also should I create some extra folders do anything extra before being able to remove windows packages?

Thanks

Well, technically newbies are not allowed :ph34r: to use that tool, you need a special "advanced user" license for it. :w00t:

Now, seriously, doesn't the main related topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152688-win6x-registry-tweak/

contain what you are looking for? :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks

Well, technically newbies are not allowed :ph34r: to use that tool, you need a special "advanced user" license for it. :w00t:

Now, seriously, doesn't the main related topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152688-win6x-registry-tweak/

contain what you are looking for? :unsure:

jaclaz

If it did I wouldn't ask right?

When I type install_wim_tweak.exe /? Cmd closes

When I start Install_wim_tweak I get asked to type path to mounted install.wim what path should I type?

When I type path to install.wim on mounted iso Install_wim_tweak closes too

Edited by Alice23

Probably the missing (initial) points are :unsure::

1) are you typing that in a cmd prompt? (and not on the "run" line)

Like:

http://dosprompt.info/basics.asp

2)is the WIM (actually an indexed image inside the .wim) mounted to a mountpoint?

https://4sysops.com/archives/windows-7-dism-how-to-mount-manage-and-service-wim-images/

jaclaz

Probably the missing (initial) points are :unsure::

1) are you typing that in a cmd prompt? (and not on the "run" line)

Like:

2)is the WIM (actually an indexed image inside the .wim) mounted to a mountpoint?

https://4sysops.com/archives/windows-7-dism-how-to-mount-manage-and-service-wim-images/

jaclaz

I right click on Install_wim_tweak and run as an administrator

Cmd started up

Copied path to mounted iso install. Wim and paste it in the cmd,

Pressed enter and cmd closes

Do I have to put Install_wim_tweak in some folder or on the desktop is OK?

Don't I have to create some folders or something?

What I did now is I copied install.wim from iso to folder on c and in the same folder placed Install_wim_tweak

Still doesn't work

My mounted win iso is D

I type D:\sources in Install_wim_tweak and no go cmd closes I type D:\sources\install.wim cmd sill closes

Edited by Alice23

I right click on Install_wim_tweak and run as an administrator

Open INSTEAD a cmd prompt (by right clicking - as well with Admin credentials - the CMD.EXE ) DO NOT right click on  Install_wim_tweak.

(of course a command window will open but it will close automatically as soon as the command has done whatever it is supposed to do which in your case, if you provide the path to a mounted .iso will likely be an error, i.e. you will see the window close immediately)

You FIRST open a command prompt and THEN navigate to the directory where the tool is and RUN the tool from command line.

That's why I provided you a link to this basic part, numbered as 1) in previous post:

As a general rule always, but particularly when a batch or command line tool is involved it is smart to NOT use the Desktop nor any other path with spaces in it.

As an example make a new folder C:\wimteak and put the file(s) in it, and when you will have opened  the command prompt you would type in it:

CD /D C:\wimtweak

[ENTER]

and then from it you will be able to type/run from command line

install_wim_tweak.exe

[ENTER]

If you provide a path which is not the mount point of an install.wim image (see again item #2) in previous post), you will get an error *like*:

C:\wimtweak>install_wim_tweak.exe---------------------------------------------------Registry Tweak Tool v1.4.7.0----------------------for Windows 6.x----------------------Created by Michal Wnuowski-------------Concept by Aviv00@msfn / lite8@MDL---------------Modified by Legolash2o-----------------------------------------------------Type path to mounted install.wim :C:\nopathMountPath : "C:\nopath\"Registry file not found, please make sure your mount path is correct!C:\wimtweak>

but the cmd window will not close.

jaclaz

Hi again and thanks for helping me. Now tweak tool stays open as it should :)

The next step is type path to mounted install.wim

I want to remove packages from Windows 10 iso, I need to mount win iso using for example ultra iso right? And that's what I did

But when I provide tweak tool with the path to mounted iso means D:\sources or D:\sources\install.wim. it says registry file not found

Should I extract that windows 10 iso to folder and then try to provide path to install.wim?

Hi again and thanks for helping me. Now tweak tool stays open as it should :)

The next step is type path to mounted install.wim

I want to remove packages from Windows 10 iso, I need to mount win iso using for example ultra iso right? And that's what I did

But when I provide tweak tool with the path to mounted iso means D:\sources or D:\sources\install.wim. it says registry file not found

Should I extract that windows 10 iso to folder and then try to provide path to install.wim?

alice mount path is not an wim file path mount path is the the thing where you mounted the wim file using dism 

if you mounted a wim file to a folder in that folder you can see the content as c:\ content 

The .iso is a "container" that contains an "install.wim" image which is also a "container" that contains(usually) more than one indexed images.

So you can mount the .iso to access the inner .wim container, but then you need to mount one of the images inside this inner container in order to access the contents.

As I tried telling you, you need to mount to a folder the actual indexed image that you want to modify.

Please try reading again the given link in #2:

The install_wim_tweak is technically speaking a helper to service an image, you need to learn and understands the basics about mounting and servicing the image in order to use it.

BUT, follow me please.

You want to MODIFY something, this something is in a container (the .wim file) which is inside another container (the .iso file).

Now since by definition the .iso is a READ ONLY filesystem, how do you expect that the changes can be written to it?

So you need to extract the install.wim from the .iso and save it locally on hard disk (where it will be accessible as Read/Write) and then mount one of the images in the .wim to a folder that you then give as path to install_wim_tweak.

And later you will need to recreate the .iso with the modified install.wim (or use the modified install.wim with direct deployment or through some installing tool).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Yup I Ben reading today a bit and now I know I have to use dism to mount wim image when mounted I will be able to use install wim tweaker to remove crap then I have to Unmount wim image put it back on iso and try to install.

Thought it would be simpler than that :)

OK thanks guys for all the help and all I have a few more questions. I have mounted windows 10 image and all seems working I produced txt file with all the packages from mounted wim.

I can't find there zune music where it is? Or is it called something else?

What packages should I remove to get rid of edge?

Can I remove Internet Explorer too if I use chrome?

I want to get rid of whole crapware telemetry etc is there some kind of list of packages to remove from Windows 10?

Thanks

Guys wake up I'm trying to clean windows and no one's willing to help me :(

Poor, little thing :), rest assured we do care for you :wub: , but it is not like your windows cleaning is like #1 priority for anyone but you :whistle:.

I have remove hyper-v 39 packages was it a bad idea?

Difficult to say.:unsure:

If you want hyper-v functionalities it may, if you don't want them it's a smart move ;):.

As said earlier, it is not something that the "average user" does and there is no real (that I know of) exact list of packages, of their contents  and - much more than that - about the interconnectedness of each package with actual functionalities in the OS and with other packages.

The link provided to you here:

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/20583-can-someone-help-install_wim_tweak.html

lists quite a few packages together with their correspondence to the OS functionalities (besides using directly powershell instead of instal_wim_tweak).

Info is a bit scattered around, as an example for edge:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-uninstall-remove-edge-browser-from-windows-10/

partly because Windows 10 is still very recent (and a lot of people are courageously attempting to fight against it) and partly because this is the chaotic way usually findings on this kind of things are managed (or non-managed), you need to extensively search for information and then verify it experimentally.

Most probably (haven't ever tried it, nor anyhting later than Windows 7 personally) tools *like* NTLite will soon (or maybe already can) take care of these things but cannot really say.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi and thanks once again. I have found some info on the net about packages worth removing. Mounted wim used Install_wim_tweak to remove bunch of packages in the end used /l to output text to check how many packages left.

Wim with all packages was around 3.52gb and 1856packages

After I removed packages wim became 3.63gb and 1842packages

Can you tell me why wim is 100mb bigger after removing packages?

Thank

OK found it myself some indexing stuff that dism write while removing packages, you have to export wim for it to clear itself

Atm my wim became 3.2gb from 3.5gb

But still need to remove crapware zune music etc

:)

The Finder without you i wouldn't be where am I now :) defender gone cortana gone edge gone hyper-v gone telemetry gone and other tones of packages gone thats for now :)