Question on Control Panel Task Pane theming

Channel 2012

I recently discovered the availability of the Windows 7 "Task Pane Changer" and was wondering if that could be used to apply the Windows 7 preview task pane to a standard retail copy of Windows 7 as pictured below:

1364790729.or.45682.png

If it does work, how would one go about changing the text to white?

Also, is it possible to do the same thing in Windows 8?

Edited by Channel 2012

• 4 weeks later...

There are two .bmp images for that.

You'll need Restorator(paid) or Resource Hacker (free) to modify shell32.dll in C:\Windows\System32.

In Bitmap section images #632 and #633.

I see. Can that change the text color from dark blue to white as well?

just be carefull on dimensions

1st one is transparent bmp (overlay) which doesn't fit to 2nd one which you want to replace

How does that work?

You'll need Restorator(paid) or Resource Hacker (free) to modify shell32.dll in C:\Windows\System32.

No, text color for that links is in .msstyle file. You'll need program called Windows Style Builder to change text color.

No, text color for that links is in .msstyle file. You'll need program called Windows Style Builder to change text color.

So if my current custom theme already has an .msstyle, I'll have to edit the existing file?

• 4 weeks later...

​So if my current custom theme already has an .msstyle, I'll have to edit the existing file?

​Yes. :yes:

Great, thanks; I think I can handle that. Do you know of any place where I can find the image file for the task pane background or am I going to have to extract it from a Windows 7 beta installation? Could I just collect a copy of shell32 from the beta or might that produce unwanted consequences?

Great, thanks; I think I can handle that. Do you know of any place where I can find the image file for the task pane background or am I going to have to extract it from a Windows 7 beta installation? Could I just collect a copy of shell32 from the beta or might that produce unwanted consequences?

Just extract bitmaps #632 and #633 from beta shell32 and replace same number images in your shell32.

Or...

Google it for "Theme Resource Changer" program, install it.(if you can't find it i will gladly send it to you)

In your customised theme folder make new one and name it "Shell32.dll", place extracted images from shell32.dll to that folder and you are good to go.

You can if you want download my theme from DeviantArt to see how folders should look like.

http://351837.deviantart.com/art/Metallised-390028188

Edited by 351837

• 1 year later...

Can you point me to where exactly the setting in Style Builder is to change the text color?

That makes sense. I have one question though - there are a couple of Windows 8.1 themes that I've been playing around with in a virtual machine that seem to be able to change the task pane visuals without requiring the modification of shell32.dll. How is this possible?

44 minutes ago, Channel 2012 said:

there are a couple of Windows 8.1 themes that I've been playing around with in a virtual machine that seem to be able to change the task pane visuals without requiring the modification of shell32.dll. How is this possible?

It's possible with OldNewExplorer on 8.x and 10, it allows you to place all bitmap you want to change in your shellstyle.dll. Unfortunately, it's not for Windows 7.

Edited by MTDirector

2 hours ago, MTDirector said:

It's possible with OldNewExplorer on 8.x and 10, it allows you to place all bitmap you want to change in your shellstyle.dll. Unfortunately, it's not for Windows 7.

Interesting. I've actually got a Windows 8 computer also that already has OldNewExplorer installed, so if you could tell me the procedure for that, it would still be much appreciated.