Silent installing Dead AIM

enternaL

I have Dead AIM 4.5 (www.jdennis.net) that uses Installshield.

When I ran it using: "/s /v/qn", it installed in "C:\Program Files\JDennis\DeadAIM\" when it is suppose to install in "C:\Program Files\AIM\" Even when I ran it normally, it installed in the AIM folder.

So I ran this to get the setup.iss:

deadaim.exe -R

And after it completed, I went to C:\Windows, but there was no setup.iss. I even searched for "*.iss" with no results. Can anyone help me out?

-R only works for Installshield installers.

DeadAIM using the Windows Installer.

You are using the correct switches, however whenever you use silent switches the default installation path is used, and in this case it is the JDennis folder.

EDIT:

try this....

DEADAIM.EXE s /v"INSTALLDIR=%PROGRAMFILES%\AIM /qn"

if that doesn't work, try

DEADAIM.EXE s /v"INSTALLDIR=[ProgramFilesFolder]\AIM /qn"

Oops, I thought it was Installshield because it had "Installshield" labels at the bottomish during installation, and the titlebar if I remember correctly.

However, I still get an "Incorrect commandline parameters" error with those command lines :)

hehe I made that correction, but I wish that was the problem though.

I get the error using this command:

deadaim.exe /S /v"INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\AIM /qn"
I've tried using a batch file setting the %PROGRAMFILES% variable, but still no go

-edit-

Using this command line syntax, it runs and finishes without any errors, but doesn't install:

deadaim.exe /s /v"/qn INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\AIM\""

-edit edit-

I found DeadAIM.msi in C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\ but it doesn't like ANY switches - says "Incorrect command line parameters" for every switch.

yay :)

It installed to Program Files\JDennis, but I used the following to install into the AIM folder, and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

msiexec.exe /i C:\Install\Applications\AIM\DeadAIM.msi /qn INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\AIM\"

• 2 months later...
yay :)

It installed to Program Files\JDennis, but I used the following to install into the AIM folder, and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

msiexec.exe /i C:\Install\Applications\AIM\DeadAIM.msi /qn INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\AIM\"

is msiexec.exe a standard executable, or do I have to download it?

Also, do I have to run and kill AIM?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

i had lots of problems getting deadaim to silent install too. but i did figure out and it works flawlesly. here is what i had in my start.cmd

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Deadaim

start /wait msiexec.exe /i %systemdrive%\install\deadaim\DeadAIM.msi /qn INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\AIM\"

ECHO.

ECHO Repairing Deadaim

start /wait msiexec.exe /f  %systemdrive%\install\deadaim\DeadAIM.msi

ECHO.

ECHO Patching Deadaim

COPY /Y "%systemdrive%\install\deadaim\DeadAIM.ocm" "C:\Program Files\AIM\"

for some reason things were messed up after the installing step, but once i put the repair step in everything worked perfect. for added convenience you may want to create a .reg of your deadaim settings to throw in there as well. Hope this helps.