Are you Anticipating the TH2 release with hope? Or dread?

NoelC

I've dropped off the pre-release program (Microsoft clearly doesn't want my feedback; I'm too aware of what they're doing), but it's clear the "TH2" fall release of Win 10 is right around the corner.  Some of you have already seen the 10525 build.

Having seen (and customized) 10240, I find it harder and harder to be hopeful.  I'll be honest...  At this point I just feel dread.  And the pace is just too quick.

I'm not sure a few months is enough time for Microsoft to do anything good, but who knows?  Lately they don't even seem to try.

And we know that when one of these major builds comes along all our customizations get shot to hell.

What are your feelings about TH2?

-Noel

What are your feelings about TH2?

It is misnamed.

It should actually be called SP1 ;).

Just like the "continuous update" model, unless you continuously provide updates, you can call it "patch Tuesday" + " a bunch of high priority security updates from time to time when needed" :lol:

jaclaz

Should it?  There's not been enough time for a proper Service Pack.

I can't imagine that they've done anything good to it in just a few months, can you?  Not that they're doing anything good as a rule...

-Noel

The only thing I'm really looking forward to is coloured window being officially support so we don't have to hack them in. That memory management thing is cool I guess, but meh. Until DirectX 12 adoption kicks up Windows 10, as a primary OS, is dead to me.

Should it?  There's not been enough time for a proper Service Pack.

I can't imagine that they've done anything good to it in just a few months, can you?  Not that they're doing anything good as a rule...

Well, maybe you are a bit behind current times :w00t::ph34r:

Of course a proper service pack cannot be put together in the "traditional" way (i.e. having serious programmers testing accurately releases along precise protocols :whistle:) but the new approach of releasing some half@§§ed incomplete mish-mash of (mostly) old things with new features derived from "likes" via feedback (once anything not appreciated by the management has been removed ;)) then spying on customers using extensively telemetry  in the last beta final release given to the masses (at the risk of seriously botching a few millions systems in the process) allows for a faster finding of bugs and consequentially relative fixes (that inevitably will introduce new bugs BTW).

So, it is entirely possible that the Service Pack 1 can be released as promised around October :yes:, the question point should rather be about whether it will contain anything but bugfixes or "corner roundings" and if these bugfixes will actually be "good".

I don't think they will introduce other "features", the thingy should be - like most Service Packs in the past - only a "consolidation" of previously released fixes.

How difficult can it be to re-pack together all the previously released updates/fixes and have a few shills promote the pack as the third best thing in life (after bread and ice-cream)? 

jaclaz

I've been called "behind" before.  And I'm damned proud of it!

Trouble is, the only way I can see all this BS this new paradigm blowing over shifting to something new and better is business failure. 

But say 100 million users (of the ridiculous awesome Windows 8 system) end up forcibly duped graciously upgraded into using Windows 10...  That would probably be seen as something short of utter failure a success.  I imagine Microsoft could profitably sell 100 million pairs of eyeballs.

4028327924_696b6c17b9.jpg

-Noel

P.S., Speaking of re-packaging...  Note that all Windows 10 Updates so far have been cumulative.

Perhaps TH2 is no more than an excuse to reset everyone's tweaks.

Edited by NoelC

Perhaps TH2 is no more than an excuse to reset everyone's tweaks.

I'm afraid to little ppl give a **** about M$ Windows 10 Intelligence Bureau and data it sends home to make Redmond high charges care. Even on security related forums people say it's no problem, and while most computer users are too little educated and too little causious to understand the problem, it shrinks our small group of privacy fanatics to so filigree size that M$ doesn't really need to bother.

Even if they disable the tweaks within TH2 I'll consider it a side effect :>

To reply to @NoelC's OP, based on the attention and care I've seen MSFT bigwigs give to the clamorings of users, my expectations for TH2 are zero, so in a sense I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

So, it is entirely possible that the Service Pack 1 can be released as promised around October :yes:, the question point should rather be about whether it will contain anything but bugfixes or "corner roundings" and if these bugfixes will actually be "good".

[emphasis added]

If they actually do provide "corner roundings" (as in, rounded window corners), I'll count that as literally visible progress.  ;)

But I'm not holding my breath waiting to see it happen!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Y'all got anymore of them group policy startup/shutdown scripts?

At this point everything's been happening so fast that I've only got a disorganized jumble of tweaks and notes, and probably some things I've tried that I didn't even make note of.  :(  Microsoft's ridiculous pace of change is getting ahead of me to be perfectly honest.

My test system (10240) is running great - lean and mean - but sadly I'm not sure I could get it back into that condition reliably again.  Certainly not in an automated fashion, yet that's exactly what's needed.  I figure at the time of the next big in-place upgrade, where everything gets reset, I'll do up all the needed scripts then.

-Noel

Dread, insider builds certainly seem to imply Windows 10 will be taking further steps backwards as we go along. I see no reason to expect Microsoft to suddenly reverse course.

• 2 weeks later...

How's it looking so far, dhjohns?  Does it promise to change everything - again - or is it more a matter of refinement and polish?  Seriously - I've dropped off the insider program.

-Noel