Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4

Is it true that taskbar in RTM build can‘t be changed by theme developers?

Everything I've heard says it is.  And so we are left with "flat", "lifeless", "uninspired", and "doesn't work as well as its predecessor".

It looks as though the desktop is officially dead in Microsoft's view for future development, and they don't want us loving it any more.  Not that there is anything viable to replace it...  Will Metro/Modern grow up to be something in 10 or 20 more years?  Maybe they figure the big fonts will just get smaller again as displays approach 300 ppi.

-Noel

Everything I've heard says it is.  And so we are left with "flat", "lifeless", "uninspired", and "doesn't work as well as its predecessor".

It looks as though the desktop is officially dead in Microsoft's view for future development, and they don't want us loving it any more.  Not that there is anything viable to replace it...  Will Metro/Modern grow up to be something in 10 or 20 more years?  Maybe they figure the big fonts will just get smaller again as displays approach 300 ppi.

-Noel

This all modern style nonsense is really starting to get in the way. Humongous context menus in new build just proves this.

get this after last windows 10 update

O89SYpr.jpg

version 1.4

Download newest symbols for dwmcore.dll and uDWM.dll.

After the latest Windows 10 update I'm getting the same message.

I tried to resolve the issue by uninstalling Glass8 and installing it again in a different directory, but that didn't help.

Is there any "how-to" or FAQ how to download and install the correct symbols or maybe even an easy way to do it, since the instructions I found said I'd have to install Windows SDK and much more which seems to be a little over the top for downloading a few files.

get this after last windows 10 update

O89SYpr.jpg

version 1.4

Download newest symbols for dwmcore.dll and uDWM.dll.

After the latest Windows 10 update I'm getting the same message.

I tried to resolve the issue by uninstalling Glass8 and installing it again in a different directory, but that didn't help.

Is there any "how-to" or FAQ how to download and install the correct symbols or maybe even an easy way to do it, since the instructions I found said I'd have to install Windows SDK and much more which seems to be a little over the top for downloading a few files.

Download Windows Software Development Kit. When installing choose “Debugging Tools for Windows” only. Depending on where you installed this change "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\symchk.exe" locations in script, save it as BAT file and then run. Symbols will be placed in C:\symbols. Open this folder, mark all folders, cut and place them to Aero Glass installation directory subfolder “symbols” (example of this would be: C:\AeroGlass\symbols). Restart Aero Glass, it‘ll be working now.

C:cd %windir%\system32"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\symchk.exe" dwmcore.dll /s SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\symchk.exe" udwm.dll /s SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\symchk.exe" ApplicationFrame.dll /s SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Edited by MDJ

OK, I hope I can answer questions.  If you are using a 32 bit OS, ModernFrame.dll will NOT work.  If you have upgraded to Windows 10 build 10532, you will NOT get symbols.

That's because the installer can't install the required files to the expected locations, or because the framework needed won't work in 32-bit systems?

I'm not sure about the newer build, I'm using 10240. But whenever I try to install the modern support, I get that error, that the files can't be installed basically.

Edited by XweAponX

Download Windows Software Development Kit. When installing choose “Debugging Tools for Windows” only. Depending on where you installed this change locations in this script, save it as BAT file and then run. Restart Aero Glass.

C:cd %windir%\system32"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\symchk.exe" dwmcore.dll /s SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\symchk.exe" udwm.dll /s SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\symchk.exe" ApplicationFrame.dll /s SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Thank you. The batch file worked and it did download the symbols – though it didn't change anything about the error message which still continues to appear.

Is there a way to set the opacity for inactive windows to zero, so you can fully look through the window border?

I'm using Aero Glass UI, but no mather which opacity I select for the inactive frames, it has no effect. The only value that actualy has an effect on the opacity of active and inactive windows is the opacity setting for active frames.

I'm currently using an own active frame color with 60% color balance and 50% opacity.

For the inactive frames I set a different color with 80% color balance and 0% opacity. 

Everything but the inactive frame opacity is working fine.

Another "issue": there is the option "adjust opacity by theme settings". No matter how often I try to disable the settings, it is automatically actived when saving the settings.

So how do I get my inactive frames to be 100% transparent?

P.S. I'm not using an atlas image but the Windows 7 Areo Theme for Windows 10.

Edited by Tekener

There is currenly no symbols for 10532. But besides the error prompt after logon to Windows, it looks good for the Aero Glass effect. 

a5dc1a3220bb9c15.jpg

On Windows 10 10240 RTM, after using Aero Glass 1.4, the windows border will be thicker than the original boarder (see the pic above, that's the very thin original windows boarder), also there is a thick glass boarder around the Start menu (originally no such boarder) and the pop-up Notification area on the taskbar; also the 3 icons on the right corner of the windows titlebar are changed. It's not looking good.

May Aero Glass persist the original windows boarder thickness and icons on the titlebar.

Edited by tester123456

There is currenly no symbols for 10532. But besides the error prompt after logon to Windows, it looks good for the Aero Glass effect. 

I'm using 10240, but keep getting the error prompt anyway, although I updated the symbols (it said "PASSED + IGNORED files = 1" when I executed the bat file).

But you're right about the functionality of Aero Glass: It still does work.

That's because the installer can't install the required files to the expected locations, or because the framework needed won't work in 32-bit systems?

I'm not sure about the newer build, I'm using 10240. But whenever I try to install the modern support, I get that error, that the files can't be installed basically.

Currently only a 64-bit version of modernframe.dll has been implemented/tested, BM may or may not add support for 32-bit at a later stage but for now this will only work on 64-bit systems

Thank you. The batch file worked and it did download the symbols – though it didn't change anything about the error message which still continues to appear.

There will be some new folders where the symbols have been downloaded in C:\symbols You need to copy or move these folders to your aeroglass installation, on my system the destination folder is c:\aeroglass\symbols. Once you have copied them across, reboot and the error should go away.

I updated my post so instructions are clearer now.

Edited by MDJ