Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10

maxXPsoft

Not sure the number of handles matters, but I have done a measurement in Win 10 build 10586...

This is a few minutes after bootup, when things have mostly settled...

TaskManagerSnapshot.png

Shortly after grabbing this screen the handle count for Explorer went to 1460.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 10 months later...

What's the best way to remove Cortana yet keep the search functionality in the latest Windows 10 (1703)?

Will it also reduce the number of services running in the background?

Thank You.

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2017 at 4:05 AM, Drazick said:

What's the best way to remove Cortana yet keep the search functionality in the latest Windows 10 (1703)?

The first couple posts of this thread are a bit confusing as to what is the best tool or combination of tools.  Would be nice to edit those to clarify what is now known to be the best method... Thanks

Edited by RUSerious
grammer

On 5/6/2017 at 3:05 AM, Drazick said:

Thank You.

9 hours ago, RUSerious said:

The first couple posts of this thread are a bit confusing as to what is the best tool or combination of tools.  Would be nice to edit those to clarify what is now known to be the best method... Thanks

Clearly stated in first Post that Noel has a script and a link to it. Does it need bells and whistles around it?

I still use it and have modified his script to leave some items I want to keep.

Other stuff there was our attempts at doing this early on.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:05 AM, Drazick said:

Thank You.

use cbsenum to remove cortana and install classic shell

• 2 weeks later...

If it hasn't been mentioned, WinAero has released a solution. It worked on build 14565 when I last used it, but I'm not sure about future versions.

this doesn't uninstall Cortana, but it edits the package ID, causing it to disappear from the PC because RPC flags it and prevents it from starting.

You can download the ZIP file from my OneDrive.

uninstallcortana.png

On 7/22/2017 at 7:27 PM, sonikdart1990 said:

If it hasn't been mentioned, WinAero has released a solution. It worked on build 14565 when I last used it, but I'm not sure about future versions.

this doesn't uninstall Cortana, but it edits the package ID, causing it to disappear from the PC because RPC flags it and prevents it from starting.

You can download the ZIP file from my OneDrive.

Winaero can disable it and why use your link. go direct

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

18 hours ago, maxXPsoft said:

Winaero can disable it and why use your link. go direct

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

I did it so that a user wouldn't have to click several windows just to get to one file.

As an added measure I screenshotted the folder because I can understand why rehosting is an issue as some could misuse and abuse it.

Edited by sonikdart1990
I was out of line

12 minutes ago, sonikdart1990 said:

Your link does not lead to the correct software. Winaero Tweaker hits so many flags it often cannot make the customizations it promises.

If you're going to suggest a different link make sure it leads to the same app, which your link does not.

Dude I'm not gonna download anybodys crap ok and nobody else should, you in nerd ville for windows tweakers and also very careful people. I gave link to download original Winaero Tweaker which I have no problem running.

And besides that UNINSTALL CORTANA is the post Topic not disable

31 minutes ago, sonikdart1990 said:

Your link does not lead to the correct software. Winaero Tweaker hits so many flags it often cannot make the customizations it promises.

If you're going to suggest a different link make sure it leads to the same app, which your link does not.

Winaero released a stand-alone Uninstall Cortana download that is separate from the other link. I'm not going to install this program to see if it has the functionality in it or not. The standalone download is available here:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/

The normal complaint about rehosted files is that there is no need to rehost a file when it is available elsewhere. But this is Legolash2o's creation, so the original or official link is on a forum somewhere. Either way, it is not worth to report this.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

Winaero released a stand-alone Uninstall Cortana download that is separate from the other link. I'm not going to install this program to see if it has the functionality in it or not. The standalone download is available here:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/

The normal complaint about rehosted files is that there is no need to rehost a file when it is available elsewhere. But this is Legolash2o's creation, so the original or official link is on a forum somewhere. Either way, it is not worth to report this.

I rehosted it because it's more direct. A user has to click through three links to finally download.

I did it as a convenience. I'm sorry if my report was excessive.

10 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Thanks Trip

I was going to search winaero for that but was busy this morning. I see it using wimtweak which is old now. 2nd post I commented on that back on Posted August 24, 2015 I'll stick to Noels script works just fine

• 4 weeks later...

Weird.

When I first got v1703 as an in-place upgrade life continued as usual.  I was able to re-tweak it, removing all Apps, and still was able to update it.  Life was good until somewhere around 15063.2xx.

Then it just stopped accepting updates without any usable error message, so I reinstalled v1703 from scratch.

After the reinstallation I tried every combination of removing apps, not removing apps, disabling services, etc.  I finally landed on a combination where I didn't lose the ability to successfully install Windows Updates, which involved NOT removing the Apps.

Funny thing...  I just tried disabling all the Apps again with my script using a snapshot of 15063.502 and lo and behold it updated just fine to 15063.540. 

I guess it was just some update early on that required the Apps to remain in place, where the current cumulative updates don't.  Perhaps I'll investigate the viability of App-free and Cortana-free operation again.   :)

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 2 weeks later...

While I was still Beta Testing Win-10, I read a post that said to just DELETE Cortana from my PC.

Well, that worked, but it also caused problems in Windows itself.  So I went looking for a less harmful way of just 'Disabling' Cortana so it couldn't be used to Spy on me, run in the background, etc.

The first thing I do on any Windows setup, is to install "Grant Admin Full Control", which allows me, from the Right Click drop-down menu, to take ownership of the  file, "Cortana Core.dll" and rename it to "Cortana Core. ddd".  If it can't load and run during boot up, then it's effectively disabled, but can be easily re-enabled by just reversing the above process and changing .ddd back to .dll and rebooting the PC.

An even more critical thing in Win-10 is "WUDO".  (Windows Update Optimization)  How do I turn it off?  I followed the trail listed in this web site.

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

Cheers Mates!

Andromeda