Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10

maxXPsoft

As long as you don't develop Apps yourself, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft Location Simulator Sensor Driver is useless.

I can only guess that there are processes in place to restore the Apps back to the system as quickly as they are removed, and I haven't done enough to thwart that process.  Thus the speed of execution is probably a factor; I have SSD storage (even my VMs run from an array of SSDs), so disk-based operations complete very quickly.  Perhaps if they were to take longer I'd see the situation here where the Apps just come back as well.

Since quite a few services and scheduled tasks are disabled, maybe the App removal would stick if you run the script a second time?  Have you tried it?

-Noel

Not this time. I just installed fresh keep nothing and then script worked

I'm on SSD also so things go real quick with actual. about 12 min install

Maybe next time I get an update ver I'll wait till it is done installing graphics driver and One drive, those always come down first after desktop

I see 14271 went public, I'll look around

I don't know if you've encountered this or not Noel, but just a heads up that the Remove Pre-Installed App (Other Than Cortana) section of your ReTweaker doesn't work in Audit Mode.

I would've have PM'd you, but it says you can't receive new PMs so I have to post it here.

Edited by ptd163

I have no idea why I would not be able to receive PMs.  I think you sent me one just recently.  Maybe I need to delete some...

And wow, did I really use the word Remove and Removal together like that?  I must have been sleeping.

Did you happen to capture the output (or notice what messages it was giving)?  I have seen a problem with the removal process when there's more than one user; it might not have to do with Audit Mode.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean "not now"?

When I installed 14279 to test my re-tweaker script, I got Cortana - and the script promptly removed it.

The known problem with the script, and I honestly haven't taken a moment more to try to figure it out, is that if you have a second user on the system (i.e., not just your one administrative user), then the Remove-AppXPackage command fails to remove the Apps.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

7 hours ago, NoelC said:

What do you mean "not now"?

Look down below Privacy statement. choose 'Not now'

I had this screen on an 14297 install right before desktop and later removed the Apps with retweaker script

Thanks, I didn't quite know what that meant, but...  It's good news!  It means they plan to support Windows running without Cortana.

Hallelujah!  Someone is finally seeing the light.

-Noel

On 10/15/2015 at 11:44 AM, NoelC said:

No, that's still in there.

-Noel

Don't hold your breath. It just hides cortana from the taskbar before you even get a chance to see it. Despite the outcry, I am seeing more and more IT folk jumping on the "I ♥ Cortana" bandwagon. I guess they're tired of Google <_<.

Also I've managed to "freeze" my install by disabling windows update service and the task that keeps it enabled. Thank you for those pointers Noel.

On 3/16/2016 at 10:45 PM, NoelC said:

Thanks, I didn't quite know what that meant, but...  It's good news!  It means they plan to support Windows running without Cortana.

Hallelujah!  Someone is finally seeing the light.

-Noel

Also, seems the growing pains are finally hitting the IT community and they're getting a bit bent out of shape about the extra stuff.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1505681-candy-crush-and-minecraft-windows-10-pro-solution

I really wish I could stand up and say "I told you so", but that'd be a bit rude.

As an added plus Noel, this person seems to also have an idea how to de-crapify windows 10.

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/3298-windows-10-decrapifier

10 hours ago, themechman said:

As an added plus Noel, this person seems to also have an idea how to de-crapify windows 10.

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/3298-windows-10-decrapifier

That thing don't even come close to What Noel's 1.6 script is doing and no need to open Powershell

And Minecraft and Candy Crush are gone, one script. ULTIMATE DEA$$ININE W10.cmd

http://win10epicfail.proboards.com/thread/100/interested-participating-tweaker-development-test

Edited by maxXPsoft

There's been a glitch show up with my version 1.6 Windows10ReTweaker script with build 14291:  It was disabling the DeviceAssociationService, and that is now apparently needed, or Windows gets stuck incessantly showing a spinner at startup.

There is also now some additional protection on the registry key for opting out of Spynet data transmission, so I've added a note about disabling Windows Defender first.

Version 1.7 is now online with the above changes, and works with 14291.

-Noel

Woot. I've managed to get my hands on an HP mini which I will be destroying with windows 10 as I'm tired of rebuilding my only functional laptop. I'll give the script a whirl when I get a power brick.

No offense, but I play minecraft. So it stays.

NP, just edit the script to exclude the Apps you want to keep from the removal.

EDIT:  I've been testing and have found that just avoiding certain App removal but then going ahead with the disabling of services leaves Apps in a potentially unusable state.  I'm afraid I may not be able to support partial App removal.  I'm still looking into it.

Make SURE that if you test this you can easily go back (e.g. to a saved snapshot or System Restore point or backup).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• xper featured and pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...