Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10

maxXPsoft

I tried using your 1.2 script on a new VM I just made and I got these error messages.

This is what I got when I redirected the output to a .txt file on the desktop.

ERROR:  One or more tools needed by this script cannot be located.

This is what was actually displayed in the elevated CMD window.

which: no SQLite3 in (.;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\)

I didn't do anything. I just extracted it and tried to run it.

Edited by ptd163

I tried using your 1.2 script on a new VM I just made and I got these error messages.

This is what I got when I redirected the output to a .txt file on the desktop.

ERROR:  One or more tools needed by this script cannot be located.

This is what was actually displayed in the elevated CMD window.

which: no SQLite3 in (.;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\)

I didn't do anything. I just extracted it and tried to run it.

Noel offline right now add first line of script so it will change to directory its in

CD /D "%~dp0"

I just looked he has added that. Are you right click Run as Admin?

A minimal set of tools is expected to be available via the current directory

Edited by maxXPsoft

I just looked he has added that. Are you right click Run as Admin?

A minimal set of tools is expected to be available via the current directory

Yes, I'm running it admin as. I tried pathing to with an elevated CMD (Windows Key + X > Command Prompt (Admin)) and standard right click > Run as Admin. Neither works.

I haven't added, deleted, or changed anything in the directory. I only extracted it.

Edited by ptd163

I can't legally distribute the SQLite3.exe or SetACL.exe tools with the script (Gnu tools are okay).  You have to download the ones that are missing yourself.  At some point I will see if I can get the script to go gather them up, but it's not like that at the moment.

As I mentioned in post 145 in this thread, you need to download them from these URLs:

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Yep, that's exactly the idea.  I just have to find the time to code on it a little more...

-Noel

Almost need to just start a new post and put all pertinent info in first post so they know what they need. I don't care they can delete this one because your script is easiest method. Course some may not want to take out everything so you will have to fix that as a selection type later on.

In case of error might add

:END_OF_PROCEDURE

Pause

And you can use that %~dp0 in your file checking if exist %~dp0SetACL.exe

Yes, you're right - a thread just for this tool would be a good idea.

I'm taking a derivative of it further, actually, into becoming a generalized Re-Tweaker - since that's what *I* need - but making something that's a generalized product for others is far more involved than doing something that suits oneself.

Ideally this would grow up to be a generalized App uninstaller / installer with a GUI and checkboxes that would not be subject to the "Microsoft doesn't want you to be able to uninstall this and this and this" rules.  That's a long way from a script that works for me alone, or even one that works anywhere.

One step at a time.  :)

-Noel

Thanks for that feedback.  I must be mostly on the right track then.

There are a fair number of services that make no sense if the Apps are removed.  I have my sights set on them next.  Once I figure out the right set, I'll add the commands to disable them and let you know here.

-Noel

Thanks for that feedback.  I must be mostly on the right track then.

There are a fair number of services that make no sense if the Apps are removed.  I have my sights set on them next.  Once I figure out the right set, I'll add the commands to disable them and let you know here.

-Noel

never paid attention I was shuffling around quite a bit. Them folders are not empty in C:\Windows\SystemApps. With wim_tweak they were or cortana was

The only difference I think is it uses PkgMgr.exe /up

• 2 weeks later...

Good point, I'll look into it.  I certainly want them removed entirely from the disk to save space.

-Noel

Did see that wimtweak is not removing from the folders, they are adding more packages it seems to Cortana each major release

edit: this was vm not activated

Edited by maxXPsoft

Not sure what to do...  It all went perfectly for me.

Then after a reboot nothing came back...

AfterCortanaRemoval.png

I guess it could have to do with the differences in our systems before the in-place upgrade, since some of the settings are actually retained.

-Noel