Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10

maxXPsoft

Think I may revert back to 10240 just to cleanup and uninstall with the Github method above before the 586 drop tomorrow to see how that compares to Noel who prob just gonna wait and see what happens. Then we'll have Notes against diff situations. Already have the Machine.srd from the 586 and its tweaked but don't have a clean one from 10240 to compare.

I'll just say don't use the google 586 d/l

No need to revert back

just check if you have the package you want to remove with this command "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers"

if yes, check if the files are still there "c:\windows\systemapps\yourpackage" otherwise restore them from dvd from "x:\sources\image.wim" (open with 7zip launched as trustedinstaller)

then reinstall the package with "Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register c:\windows\systemapps\yourapp\AppXManifest.xml"

then you could uninstall it with the git method.

if you have an updated package, extract the files from the cumulative update file instead of dvd

Last case if you package is not listed with "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers" or "Get-AppxPackage" then just restore the files from dvd/update file

and run "Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register c:\windows\systemapps\yourapp\AppXManifest.xml

you could then uninstall it with the method you want to :)

no need to make things complicated bro ;)

If maxXPsoft has an image of the 10240 previously installed in the machine, then reverting to that image probably would be faster than restoring/reinstaling things, and guaranteed to be exactly as from a fresh install. It's not necessarily more complicated than otherwise. Just my 2¢, of course...

Note 2 : in my case i just kept those 4 packages

Microsoft.AccountsControl_10.0.10240.16384_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy

Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.10240.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Windows.MiracastView_6.3.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

That's good info.  Up to now I have these:

PS C:\TEMP> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Select PackageFullName

PackageFullName

---------------

Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.Appconnector_1.3.3.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.WinJS.2.0_1.0.9600.17018_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.10240.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Microsoft.LockApp_10.0.10240.16384_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy

Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp_1000.10240.16384.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

The VCLibs entries are from Visual Studio, though I don't know whether I actually need them if I'm not developing Universal Apps.  Based on what you've written, it looks like I could remove these without problems:

Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp_1000.10240.16384.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Out of curiosity, why did you keep Windows.MiracastView?

-Noel

ahh yes my Acronis images are much easier

Reverted back and tried Git and they won't uninstall this time

Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    HRESULT: 0x80073CFA)

Same on Edge

Note 2 : in my case i just kept those 4 packages

Windows.MiracastView_6.3.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

That's good info.  Up to now I have these:

PS C:\TEMP> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Select PackageFullName

PackageFullName

---------------

Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

The VCLibs entries are from Visual Studio, though I don't know whether I actually need them if I'm not developing Universal Apps.  Based on what you've written, it looks like I could remove these without problems:

Out of curiosity, why did you keep Windows.MiracastView?

-Noel

I kept miracast in case i want to use the wifi display stream system on an other device (tablet or else...) but i finally delete it because i don't think i will need that as i use hdmi when i need

Finally minimal packages are :

Microsoft.AccountsControl ================== Modern account control

Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost ======= modern start menu / clock / notification shell

windows.immersivecontrolpanel ============= Modern control pannel

All the rest could be deleted without issue.

I am also using visual studio 2015 i deleted the vclibs because i am not developing modern app, also those libs could be used on other modern app, if you don't use modern app at all you could get rid of those packages too.

Edited by intika

ahh yes my Acronis images are much easier

Reverted back and tried Git and they won't uninstall this time

Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

HRESULT: 0x80073CFA)

Same on Edge

after reboot can you make a new copy of your database and check if "IsInbox" is still to 0 ?

you could also test the the uninstall command as trustedinstaller (with the tool devxexec - http://developex.com/custom-software/devx-exec.html)

"devxexec.exe /user:TrustedInstaller powershell.exe"

Just to keep related info together, there's another very reliable way to become the TrustedInstaller:

Yes :), "RunAsTI64" is the "evolution" of the programs talked here, joakim (Joakim Shicht) released it on github:
https://github.com/jschicht/RunAsTI

RunAsTI or RunAsTrustedInstaller

Is a tool to launch a program of choice (usually cmd.exe) with the same privileges as the TrustedInstaller. That privilege is very powerfull! Actually the tool makes a clone of the token from TrustedInstaller, and thus the newly created process has an identical token.

Why would you need it? Sometimes it is just not enough to just be running as "nt authority\system". Maybe it's a file or a registry key that is locked. Running a tool with this powerfull privilege most likely solve that. Usually such an issue may be due to Windows Resource Protection (WRP) protecting it (previously called Windows File Protection (WFP)); http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa382503(v=vs.85).aspx

How do you run it? Simply double click it and cmd.exe will launch. Or pass it the program to launch as parameter.

The tool is actually a merge of 2 previous tools; RunAsSystem and RunFromToken. The curious ones might notice that RunFromToken is attached as a resource.

The tool only runs on nt6.x (Vista and later), since TrustedInstaller does not exist on earlier Windows versions.

Requirement: Administrator.

after reboot can you make a new copy of your database and check if "IsInbox" is still to 0 ?

you could also test the the uninstall command as trustedinstaller (with the tool devxexec - http://developex.com/custom-software/devx-exec.html)

"devxexec.exe /user:TrustedInstaller powershell.exe"

Problem was I think was StateRepository was not killed and unable to do anything with file.

I went back to where I was for now. Could not copy file with the cmds, del cmd, copy it back afterwards,

I took ownership, opened folder but could not delete extra files like from cmd del -Machine.* Said they were in use, then when sc start StateRepository it error saying it already running.

Copied manually back. It finally took. was then able to run uninstall but since I was back where I originally was where they were uninstalled with wimtweak.

May go back and try again with the RunAsTI right above this post

Edited by maxXPsoft

By the way, have you any idea how to accomplish this feat (removal of all Apps, including winstore) on Win 8.1? 

I'm just curious, as I was poking around to see what similarities there are and I found that there is no StateRepository-Machine.srd on that system.

-Noel

By the way, have you any idea how to accomplish this feat (removal of all Apps, including winstore) on Win 8.1? 

I'm just curious, as I was poking around to see what similarities there are and I found that there is no StateRepository-Machine.srd on that system.

-Noel

Edit this is 8.1: http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/rsscomments.aspx?WeblogPostID=3604187

Edited by maxXPsoft

This seemed to work better taking down the State ran all at once. Oh well whatever works

taskkill /im sihost.exe /f
FOR /F "usebackq tokens=2 skip=2" %i IN (`tasklist /svc /fi "services eq StateRepository"`) DO taskkill /PID %i /f
FOR /F "usebackq tokens=2 skip=2" %i IN (`tasklist /svc /fi "services eq StateRepository"`) DO taskkill /PID %i /f
del %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\StateRepository-Machine.*

Wondering if running the original method as trustedinstaller make as well a clean uninstall (install_wim_tweak)

It was written quite awhile back 2008 so not sure. He used pkgmgr in his code and it is deprecated now replaced by Dism. That may be reason its not getting everything with these apps. That and MS moved everything around with 10. I've been looking at his code

BTW that RunasTI

Was watching and seen something in console

Warning: The right was probably not added correctly to your account

But it does give you an Admin console, psexec does same though

Edited by maxXPsoft

BTW that RunasTI

Was watching and seen something in console

Warning: The right was probably not added correctly to your account

But it does give you an Admin console, psexec does same though

i personally use

http://developex.com/custom-software/devx-exec.html

devxexec.exe /user:TrustedInstaller cmd.exe